ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @twentysomething

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If your only issue combined is that you don't ovulate then I think it's too soon to try IVF. It's very expensive, but it's Medicare who covers the bulk, not PHI. Over all our tests, tracking cycles and 3 rounds of IVF we spent maybe $50k up front, with maybe half of that back on Medicare.
    I don't really know anything about IUI but I think that's more male issue? I would suggest keep trying on chemically induced ovulation a bit longer, as that sounds like it's your direct need. The average person falls pregnant in their 3rd assisted cycle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was in a similar situation. 30, not ovulating due to hyperthalamic amenhorea. We could have kept waiting and trying with natural therapies but did that for two years. We tried one cycle of OI using chlomid but had the cycle cancelled. We went to a low cost IVF centre and had it also canceled twice as i overstimulated. Then we decided to go full cost IVF. We only had to pay the gap and then got about $2000 back from Medicare due to reaching the safety net. If we were to do it all again we'd go straight to full service IVF as first go we are expecting our little one in 7 weeks. IVF is daunting ... but OI isn't much fun either.
    I'm not sure if this all helps, but it was my experience... we saw IVF as last resort but the chances are much higher with it!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsh1984 For This Useful Post:

Trytryandtryagain  (20-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @mrsh1984

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Trytryandtryagain After 6 assisted cycles I'd go straight to IVF. Fertility treatment is physically, emotionally & financially exhausting! You don't want to risk being in a position where you are completely exhausted before you even start IVF. It took us 6 IVF cycles to finally get pregnant. By the 6th cycle I was a complete mess. Totally depressed & losing hope. I am very grateful that our FS encouraged us to bypass OI & IUI, & go straight to IVF. I'm not sure I could have mustered the strength for 6 IVF cycles if I'd already had numerous failed OI & IUI cycles.
    Also... from a financial position it makes sense to start the new year with a IVF cycle so the Medicare safety net kicks in straight away & you can take advantage of it for the full calendar year.
    PHI is only really relevant for fresh IVF cycles. We have top hospital w maternity & didn't get a cent back for any of our FET cycles. If you respond well to the stim drugs it's more than likely you will get some frosties & only need 1 fresh cycle. If that is the case it wouldn't be worth waiting out the 12mth PHI waiting period. Your FS may be able indicate how responsive you will be based on your Gonal-F OI cycles.
    What ever your decision I wish you all the best! Sending you lots of babydust!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We TTC naturally for 18 months, then did 5 cycles of Clomid by itself. On the advise of our FS we tried IUI with Clomid 50mg & Ovidrel trigger.

IUI #1 BFP - Blighted ovum - mmc
    IUI #2 BFP - DS

So for us it worked. I was 30yrs old, PCO & DH had 96% abnormal sperm. First IUI we got nearly all of the fee back as I'd hit the safety net. Second we only got $400 of the $1100 back.

With DD we went through a different clinic and did 4 attempts of IUI before moving to IVF. I didn't respond to the drugs so only produced 1 follicle. The FS cancelled the egg collection and did an IUI instead. We we're only charged for an IUI cycle + the extra cost of the injectable drugs (Gonal F and another I can't remember the name of).

In hindsight with TTC #2 we should have stopped after 2 IUI's and gone straight to IVF but because we'd had such good luck conceiving #1 by IUI we kept trying.

Goodluck! Sending lots of baby dust your way

8. The Following User Says Thank You to babybump08 For This Useful Post:

Trytryandtryagain  (22-11-2016)