+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default When to make the call to start IUI or IVF

hi all
    looking for some guidance, DH and i are just about to commence our 2nd cycle of gonal-f ovulation induction and this will be our 14th month ttc and it is really starting to take a toll emotionally and I'm losing hope

so i wonder when to make the call to move to IUI or even to IVF?

I wonder whether just to bite the bullet and do IUI after this cycle or should we go straight to IVF

if someone could share their experience as to when and why they made the decision i would be grateful

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was in exactly your position. We did 4 rounds of ovulation induction (2 clomid, 2 FSH injections). We then did FSH ovulation induction plus IUI but still bfn. We then did ivf collection and it was a freeze all cycle due to OHSS (11 eggs collected 7 fertilised 5 made it to freeze). We then had a frozen transfer and now have a 16 month old DD.
    We decided to do IUI as we wanted to try everything before going to ivf. In hindsight we probably should have gone straight to ivf as IUI was expensive (no Medicare rebate) and pointless.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can I ask how expensive?

My private health said they will cover minimal and I can up my cover but will have to wait another 12 months for their waiting period

I have my FS appt in 10 days so think it's something that we have to talk about

Dh wants whatever will work as this is our 6th assisted cycle (4 clomid and 2 injections)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I did 3 cycles with clomid and injections.....after the 3rd we just went straight to ivf usuing icsi. I too did a freeze all due to ohss but first transfer resulting in ds and second fet resulting in my second bub. Do not regret at all. I didnt want to waste time and money with no results and was more than happy to move to ivf.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Trytryandtryagain View Post
    Can I ask how expensive?

My private health said they will cover minimal and I can up my cover but will have to wait another 12 months for their waiting period

I have my FS appt in 10 days so think it's something that we have to talk about

Dh wants whatever will work as this is our 6th assisted cycle (4 clomid and 2 injections)
    At my clinic IUI was $1250 with no Medicare rebates and private health insurance doesn't cover any of the cost of IUI as far as I'm aware (I have top cover and they didn't cover anything, even with ivf they only cover the inpatient part which is the egg collection so the out of pocket fees are extensive either way). At my clinic the out of pocket fee after Medicare rebates for ivf cycle was $1650 so not much more than IUI.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it also depends on what your issues are. For some people ovulation induction and IUI won't work. If you tell us a bit about your issues we might have more advice.

We had to go straight into IVF due to male factor infertility there was no point trying anything else.

The other consideration I think is cost versus success rates. It may end up being cheaper to do 2 IVF cycles than say 8 OI and IUI.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (18-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So we are both 30yo
    I have pcos and don't seem to ovulate at all on my own
    The clomid only worked for 1 cycle
    Dh has had sperm tested and been told he's all good - motility and shape all normal or better than normal
    I def ovulated on last inj cycle but unfortunately no bfp
    I'm thinking of doing 1 -2 more inj cycles and then asking for ivf

Thanks
    Reviews
    We only had pcos issues too. I ovulated with FSH injections every time (not at all with clomid) but still didn't work even with IUI. In your position with my experience I would go to ivf now as 1-2 cycles of OI plus then preparing for and undertaking ivf will take probably 6 months and with pcos the first ivf cycle can be experimental to balance the risk of overstimulation.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Mum-I-Am  (18-11-2016),Trytryandtryagain  (18-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you @gingermillie and @mummymaybe
    I def think I will talk to FS next week when I'm there

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trytryandtryagain View Post
    So we are both 30yo
    I have pcos and don't seem to ovulate at all on my own
    The clomid only worked for 1 cycle
    Dh has had sperm tested and been told he's all good - motility and shape all normal or better than normal
    I def ovulated on last inj cycle but unfortunately no bfp
    I'm thinking of doing 1 -2 more inj cycles and then asking for ivf
    Hi @Trytryandtryagain your story is all to familiar! We are one in the same. I was diagnosed with pcos as i dont ovulate on my own. We did 2 failed clomid cycles, and we did 4 OI (fsh inj+trigger +progesterone) trying natually. We had the same dicussion about a thousand times do we just bite the bullet and go to Ivf. As I was responding well to the injections we decided to give it one last shot that 4th cycle ( which our FS agreed was our best shot he uped my dose a tiny bit on that one.) But had decided that 4th would be our last ( which our FS agreed and supported) and after that we would head to IVF. We were not going to bother with IUI. We were so lucky that 4th as successful. I am now 24 weeks pregnant. My advice is give it 3 maybe 4 goes, I know its hard. Trust me the tears the fustrating was so overwhelmingly for both hubby and I but set your number as had both mentally set 4 as our limit. Which made ot easier. If you are responding give it another shot if you can dont bother with Iui then head to Ivf. Thats my advice. Best of luck if you have any questions pm me.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to twentysomething For This Useful Post:

Trytryandtryagain  (20-11-2016)