+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Would you say something to the school?

IMG_1479384480.624556.jpg
    My dd 6 had a big stack at school today. She is limping and her knee is swollen. No one was rung and a measley bandaid was applied.
    Now I would go ah ok big school they're busy except that only a few months ago I've had a very different experience...
    Dd 9 had a sore arm. Not her writing arm, no blood, nothing was really wrong at all but she likes to exaggerate a bit. The school rung me at work and told me I have to collect her as she has a sore arm. I asked if she was crying etc and they said no, so I asked what was the reason for collection. They told me she is not allowed to stay if her arm is sore. I explained I can't leave work on the spot as I am counted in ratios. They said I need to find someone to collect her. Lucky dh was able to and my boss allowed her to sit at work til I finished.
    I cant understand why the bruised, bloody and swollen knee doesn't warrant a phone call but the sore arm did??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That's a bit frustrating. Maybe it's because it was obvious what was wrong with the knee, but they didn't kniw what might be going on with the arm?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

LittleBug'sMum  (18-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me, that wouldn't warrant a call...maybe a chat or note at the end of the day with what happened? I hate it when the school calls me for little things...unless it requires medical attention or medication for pain, or the child is distressed, then I prefer not to be called to pick them up. If your child had done that before school would you gave sent them to school for the day? I would have with a note saying probably best not to do sport or run around at lunch time. Maybe I'm a hard ****?
    My son is a bit of a drama queen and has worked out that he only has to have a headache for a free pass out of school.
    Maybe the school picked up your reluctance last time and used more discretion this time? For many parents they can't just walk off the job to collect a child with a minor ailment..it's hugely inconvenient (ie for me it means canceling a list of patients coming in for an medical appt)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've picked my DD up with a fractured arm, headache and 40 degree temp twice, and had her walk to the car coughing up a lung with her asthma playing up and not offered her ventolin. It doesn't surprise me one bit that you wouldn't get a call about a busted up knee ;(

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would at least ask what is the situation that requires a phone call, and what situation doesn't require a phone call. >?? it seems odd that what is obviously more of a injury should be brought to the parents attention, ?? strange system,?? does it depend who is the staff member on duty at the time?? Marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think the school should send some kind of message - Our teacher always sends an email or SMS when any minor injury happens something like " DS had a fall today at lunch, just a bruise and a bit of blood, nurse put on a bandaid and he seems fine" or I know they have rung if child is sick or we had one boy who hit his head and they were monitoring him and the nurse called his mum

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would definitely expect a call about an injury like that. Your poor DD must have been in a fair bit of pain during the day from that, it looks nasty.