+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've never had one, because I wanted to avoid the cascade of interventions. My first was difficult for me to push out, but I did. I was told that had I had an epidural I wouldn't have been able to feel to push effectively, and forceps would have been required. I'm glad I avoided that. I also liked that I could get up straight away after giving birth etc. I would aim for no epidural if I were to have any more. I know they have their place, and if people simply just want one, that's all well and good. I wouldn't get a tooth pulled without pain relief, but there is no cascade of intervention that is going to occur if I'm having a local anaesthetic....plus you are in a chair having your tooth pulled, in labour we are designed to listen to our body and be active to encourage baby's descent through the pelvis. You can't be active and have an epidural. Plus, I always reasoned that we are designed to give birth...there's a whole lot of hormones involved with labour, we're not made to have teeth pulled.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

dani251  (15-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I considered one as I considered all other options.
    Ended up having an elective csection anyway so it didn't matter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I had an epidural with both of my kids. I would recommend them absolutely. You don't feel A THING! I couldn't cope with the pain after being induced at 10 days over due. I didn't care that I couldn't stand, I wasn't worried about the cascade of intervention and I didn't need a cascade of intervention. I ended up with just a graze both times, no forceps, no episiotomy, nothing.

What in trying to say is yes there are downsides to any kind of birth intervention but you can never predict how a birth will go. All I can say is if you can't stand the pain of childbirth, it's okay to use some form of drugs. You could end up with forceps birth or tearing or emergency c section if you chose drugs or no drugs. Just ask your midwife or Obstetrician about the pros and cons of each of your options and know there's no right or wrong way to birth your baby.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wait and see how you feel when you're actually in labour. Sure, do some research while you're pregnant, but no need to make a decision about what drugs you may or may not need until you're there in that moment.

TBH, I didn't find labour painful, it really was not that bad. But I also know other women think I'm completely insane when I tell them that.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to preggasaurus For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (15-11-2016)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I had one with my first.... Didn't want it but became necessary as my labour had stalled and I wanted to avoid a c-sec, so first option was epidural and synto drip. It worked, and I had him vaginally and it was fine but he was badly positioned and having to birth on my back meant I tore terribly. Sure, I didn't feel it at the time but my recovery from the whole thing was long and painful.

Second baby, I was determined not to have one, and I didn't, I had very quick labour and birth and it wasn't too painful at all, and I was able to birth in the water and get up straightaway after and shower... And my recovery was quick and painless.

I appreciate that the epidural I had helped me avoid a c-sec but that was circumstantial, I wouldn't voluntarily opt for one if labour was going smoothly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think look at the pros and cons, and go in with an open mind. My mindset is I would try to avoid one, but will have one if required. 3 births later & I have never needed one. I also didn't find labour painful, & I want to be able to feel my body pushing, etc. But I know there are times where an epi IS beneficial, such as in a long labour where the woman is exhausted & needs a rest, or to manually change the position of a stuck baby, to avoid a c-section. So like any intervention, it has it's place, but I personally wouldnt use it as a 'first choice', only if absoluely neccesary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing.

I'm pregnant with my first also, and am planning to aim for no pain relief, and then progressively try different options as the pain gets more difficult to manage (ie try gas, then water, and so on and so forth until eventually an epi is the only option left). If I need an epi to cope with the pain, then I will absolutely have one and I won't be ashamed about it, but my preference at this point is to try to avoid it to decrease my chance of needing other interventions as well.

No one knows what your labour will be like until it actually happens, but the way I see it, labour is not something that should be feared, but rather a totally normal and natural part of life

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoopuf View Post
    Subbing.

I'm pregnant with my first also, and am planning to aim for no pain relief, and then progressively try different options as the pain gets more difficult to manage (ie try gas, then water, and so on and so forth until eventually an epi is the only option left). If I need an epi to cope with the pain, then I will absolutely have one and I won't be ashamed about it, but my preference at this point is to try to avoid it to decrease my chance of needing other interventions as well.

No one knows what your labour will be like until it actually happens, but the way I see it, labour is not something that should be feared, but rather a totally normal and natural part of life

Good luck with whatever you decide.
    This is a great attitude. I'm going to be the same! I'm only small and my baby is measuring big so might need a hand!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    With my daughter I went into it saying that I'd try without one, but if I felt I needed one, I would have one

I had my waters broken at 40+5, after having gel overnight. As soon as they broke my waters at 1:00, my co reactions started immediately, strong, and 1-2 mins apart. I was 2cm dilated at that point. Midwives were telling me my contractions weren't strong and weren't doing anything, so I opted for an epidural. That moved the pain from my belly to my left hip. They topped up my epidural around 4, then checked me and discovered I was fully dilated. So they waited an hour for the epi to wear off a bit and for bub to move down. I started pushing at 5:20, and she was born at 5:37. I couldn't feel the contractions but just pushed when I was told to.

So all up, 4.5 hour labour, with no interventions.

I'm pregnant again, due in January. I'm reading Birth Skills at the moment and will read my hypnobirthing book too. I want to be prepared for labour as best as possible. If I opt for an epidural again, so be it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My original thought was that no I wouldn't have one, if at all possible, but stayed open to the fact I could if needed.

However my blood pressure sky rocketed at 20 weeks and I was admitted and induced just before 34 weeks and was told that epidural would be the most likely option to help with keeping my BP down which may rise with pain levels. I ended up going through around 30 hours after inducement without anything for pain (very very minimal contractions) before they broke my waters (nothing was really happening at all) at which time they gave me an epidural. On the downside they punctured the dural space around my spine and I ended up with an epidural headache. Lets just say its not a nice experience and that is putting it lightly. On the plus side the relief from pain was immediate and I slept for the first time in almost 3 days!!!

I woke from my sleep being rushed off for an emergency c-section.

Despite all that I have still said I would have another epi, mainly because I have already decided on an elective c-sction next time around. If I can avoid an emergency one at all possible then I would far prefer a c-section and epi by choice than as the one I did. But that is very much taken into account my health and previous issues as to my reasons why.
    Last edited by erinn; 15-11-2016 at 13:23.