+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Your opinion?

What's your opinion on getting an epidural, I'm a FTM and although I'm only in the early stages of pregnancy I do want to get as much info as I can from more experienced mums.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had one with my first and I experienced both the postives and negatives associated with one. After the epi I calmed down enough that dilated quickly but I was stuck on the bed and when my daughter was in a weird position, my OB had to use forceps to help her out.

Personally I preferred not to have one with my second and had a natural birth. While yes, labour was painful I have a much more positive experience and felt more in control than my first.

Only you can tell what's right for you. I'd do some research on it, risks/benefits etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had my first 2 births without an epi (just gas) and my 3rd with an epi (due to a pregnancy induced rib dislocation )..I hated the epi..I liked that the pain was less, although my epi was very patchy, but I hated that I couldn't feel to push..it was awful. I felt a huge loss of control. Poor pushing resulted in a prolapse 😐. I hated that I couldn't move as much in labour, the constant monitoring and all the attached lines. I also feel the epi slowed down my labour (was longest of 3) but I guess you'd never really know. I wish I'd never had to have it and if I ever had another pregnancy I'd avoid it like the plague!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My opinion is that they are strong drugs and your body and your baby's body is better off without them. They also contribute to something called the "cascade of intervention" which you might want to google and read up on before birthing. I've birthed two naturally, planning the third and you honestly CAN do it... but be prepared, have some distraction tools or techniques and some great support. (If that's the path you want to take. Obviously plenty of women choose an epi and love it!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wanted to avoid it due to the cascade of intervention, as pp mentioned.

Having been through 2 labours, I'm glad that I stuck to my decision not to have an epi. During labour, it felt like I had lost all control of my body (in a good way) and my instincts kicked in. There were times that I wanted to move around or change positions to ride out contractions and birthing, and an epi would have really hindered that natural instinct.

However, I did find the gas really helpful when I couldn't bear it or focus.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Your opinion?

It was a godsend for my first.
    I didn't need one for my second.

I don't think you should have a set decision made until you're in labour and then decide if you need one or not.

There's no shame in accepting an epidural if you need it.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (15-11-2016),BabyG4  (15-11-2016),Gentoo  (15-11-2016),Redcorset  (15-11-2016),smallpotatoes  (15-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have only had 1 natural birth and 3 c/s. With my first I had been induced for 3 days, only dilated to 3cm and completely exhausted. Luckily for the epidural, it gave me the rest I needed to completely dilate and get bub out in 3 pushes. I had a great experience with the epidural, don't feel cheated on the birth as it did what I needed otherwise it would have ended in a c/s too. In saying all that, there are so many more options now, I could see a pethadine injection working wonders for pain but still giving you the freedom of not being stuck on a bed when the time comes to push.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a first time mum, so I don't have as much experience as pp's. I had an epidural and knew I was going to have one, I have a low pain tolerance, I gave myself an aim, I wanted to make it to 5cm and be in active labor, I did a fair bit of research and read a book called birth skills that actually had me really confident I could make it through without one so I did end up planning to try not to have one but that all went out the window when I got induced and went into active labor a lot quicker than anticipated, I didn't get the time to help my body and mind adjust and went from woe to go and it was a bit too much for me.
    I had a 10hr labor which I have been told by some people is log and others a good amount of time for a first Bub.... So I don't know if that's good or not lol. I didn't need any intervention after the epidural, I felt in control because I was able to choose when to give myself a bolus and when not to. My epidural did start to fail and only worked on one side, so I stopped giving it and let it ware off for the pushing. Baby was born healthy and I went home the next day.
    The gas didn't work for me but that didn't surprise me because I don't usually feel the effects of drugs the same way others do, it did however give me something to focus on and helped me push through to get to 5cm!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm all for epidurals!! You wouldn't get teeth pulled without pain relief or surgery without pain relief so I don't see why you should unnecessarily put yourself through horrific pain for potentially 24+hours just to say you did it naturally

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bubbles21 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (15-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbles21 View Post
    I'm all for epidurals!! You wouldn't get teeth pulled without pain relief or surgery without pain relief so I don't see why you should unnecessarily put yourself through horrific pain for potentially 24+hours just to say you did it naturally
    I don't think you will find many people that opted not to have one so they can say they did it naturally.
    Even in birthing classes, they discuss the cascade of intervention.

If people choose to have an epi, so be it, but you can't downplay the reasons why others don't want one.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (15-11-2016),dani251  (15-11-2016),DT75  (15-11-2016),Full House  (15-11-2016),Mod-Uniquey  (15-11-2016),Shoopuf  (15-11-2016)