+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Neighbours and noise?

I'm just curious as to what others notice and tolerate in regards to their neighbours making noise?
    I am in the difficult position of hating where we live because of neighbours I like our house and we've spent the past 5 years renovating it. We are just about to spend another $10k on renovations. But every day I check realestate.com.au for a new house. With no neighbours. DH thinks why should we move because of the neighbours?
    The house next to us is owned by a woman in her mid:late 50s and her late 20s daughter lives in the shed at the back (about 6 metres from our bedroom). She fancies herself a dj (drum and bass no less kill me now) and if we don't constantly complain and call the cops she would literally play loud music every day. She doesn't give a ****. The mum hates us because the cops came one day when we called them (our house was shaking and we asked her to turn it down and she refused) and 'scared' her precious child
    I don't mind neighbours making every day noise (kids, mowers, banging etc) that's par for the course but loud music makes my blood boil. I'm talking loud enough that it can be heard inside my house with all the doors and windows shut and it's not like a once off (the odd party I could care less) she would do it a few times a week or every freaking day. Basically whenever she's home and she's a shift worker so it's random day/night. She ONLY does it when her mum isn't home (also a shift worker). When we were on better terms with the mum she got the daughter to put a note in our letterbox if she was having a 'party'. Nice gesture you think. Except she thought that letting us know gave her license for a party that went 24/7 for 3 days straight. The mum also gave me the daughters phone number so I could complain to her directly instead of knocking on the mum's door. Last time I asked her to turn it down she said I'm on my day off I want to listen to music. Basically F.U. You could hear it down the street. It's heavy dance music blasting with a sub woofer. There is no way to escape it as it rumbles through my entire house. I wish it didn't annoy me but it drives me bonkers. I have been known to walk around with ear plugs in
    Would that bother you? Or can you tune it out?
    Is it normal for neighbours to be like this?!
    What would you do?! I think we should just move

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a private gym on one side so no noise there. The fella on the other side of us has music going, sometimes quite late and I can hear it on that side of my house quite clearly but he listens to the same music as me so it doesn't bother me. Plus he regularly asks if I am bothered and I say no.

THAT is how dealing with loud neighbours comes to a happy medium.

Your neighbour is ridiculous!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes this would bother me. Have you spoken to the other neighbours to see if it bothers them? Can you complain to the council? I think if council got enough complaints from the neighbours they would do something about it. It's no different to barking dogs or using power tools late night.
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd go totally batshiz insane with that! I'd definitely want to move. I'm quite sensitive to noise though and even the sounds of my own kids can drive me batty some days. I need peace and quiet to be able to recharge and relax.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

Seoul  (17-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Phew. You're not my neighbour. Was a bit worried when I saw the title of the thread.

Living next to that would drive me bonkers and I would want to move as well.

In terms of what to do, not sure what state you live in but I found this:

http://www.epa.nsw.gov.au/noise/neighbourhoodnoise.htm

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've moved house because of noisy neighbours. It actually gives me anxiety thinking about it. Our neighbours played loud music every single night. I spoke to police, real estate agents, wrote letters, went over there. It was hell. I think it's so selfish.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It would drive me bat **** crazy. Seems you have the annoying loud neighbours and I have the dirty lazy ones

Look on the EPA website and have a read through if you can't see what you need I'd give them a call. I'm calling them tomorrow about ours and a few issues that fall into the EPA category

http://www.epa.sa.gov.au/files/4772_...se_general.pdf

Thanks
    Reviews
    That would drive me completely insane. I live in an inner city suburb, hearing the noise from our neighbours is inevitable, but we all understand that and are respectful of each other. You want to play loud music at all times of the day and night you don't live in suburbia. I can understand why you want to move, but it's a shame when it's your neighbours being inconsiderate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes that would drive me insane just call police ongoing.

If you don't want to sell just rent your place out. Do they rent? Or own? If they rent u can get them evicted somehow.

Also I'm an assjole an would probably role reverse so when she has parties play bad music in the mornings when she has a hang over! My husband was a huge party animal and MIL got phone calls all time at her house as they used to fire twirl archery etc on the roof then she would get home nothing would be happening house tidy etc so I would even get cameras! Stuff that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Is there anything on your council website about excessive noise?

I would go crazy. I am so so so so lucky that we rarely get noise at night. Next door neighbours sometimes have a bit of a party but it's never that bad and always finished well before midnight. And during the day there is barely anything.

I would move. But not everyone is like that! Most people are considerate.