+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybaby View Post
    Agreed...but it's also what your kids are used to (and parents can afford ). My 5yo rode 22km last week on his cheap 2nd hand 16" street bike. I guarantee that if a cheap heavy bike was all they had and knew it will be ridden. Kids are adaptive like that ☺
    Obviously if a child has developmental/muscle tone issues then that needs to be taken into consideration.
    I agree that affordability plays a big part. Personally, I'd go a decent second hand bike over a brand new one from K-Mart. I wouldn't expect my kids to ride a quality of bike a long distance (for a kid) that I wouldn't be prepared ride myself. There are plenty of kids happily riding K-Mart bikes around the park etc, and if that's all we did I wouldn't spend big money on a bike, hence why I said it depends on the expectation of the parent (and in this case, the capability of the child).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have looked at ToysRus/BigW/Target and did consider them but by time I had it put together by someone who knows how to do it there was not that much difference (maybe $100) to the better quality lighter framed ones that are put together and quality checked by 3 bike mechanics before being picked up. I have done a lot of research and feel I can get a good resale amount for these bikes. One store even have an upgrade trade in program that gives you 50% of the value of the bike you purchase on the next size up and then donate the trade in bike to a local charity. He does have low tone issues that we are working on so I don't want to make things more difficult for him than they need to be. I want him to enjoy it and want to do it. I have seen my niece and nephews struggle on cheapie bikes and need new ones every year because they fall apart not because they out grow them. It will be his main Christmas gift so I don't think it's that huge of an amount. I did ask for opinions on the bikes pictured not on the amount I am prepared to spend and there is a reason those are the ones I am considering.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WiseOldOwl For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (13-11-2016),Full House  (13-11-2016),GirlsRock  (13-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our bike shed at school is full of BYK bikes...they are definitely the popular choice in my neck of the woods.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (13-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would definitley be open to buying one of the pictured bikes second hand but am struggling to find any in my region. I did find a nice looking ByK in Canberra but it's a bit far from where I live in Newcastle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We are looking for bike for 3.5 year old. The sales people are saying he's already too big for 12 inch so go 16 inch. Coming off a balance bike. He's on tip toes on 16 inch, but already upper limit for 12 inch.

Anyone have feedback on a Gekko vs ByK350? Giant animator?

Looking for something light, good dimensions for beginner and reasonable quality.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by clbj View Post
    We are looking for bike for 3.5 year old. The sales people are saying he's already too big for 12 inch so go 16 inch. Coming off a balance bike. He's on tip toes on 16 inch, but already upper limit for 12 inch.

Anyone have feedback on a Gekko vs ByK350? Giant animator?

Looking for something light, good dimensions for beginner and reasonable quality.
    The BYK250 is actually a 14 inch bike, not a 12 - did you try that size or only the 16 inch version?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Which bike for 5yr old

250 and 350, but seat was down on 250. The salesman said he was already at top of 250, and ok to go on 350 but didn't actually adjust seat to check if he was more comfortable on an adjusted 250. I might try another store!
    Last edited by clbj; 19-11-2016 at 12:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I believe they should be able to touch flat foot on their first pedal bike even after a balance bike. This link http://www.twowheelingtots.com/what-...ds-pedal-bike/ has great info on why. I just solved my dilemma. I picked up a 2nd hand (barely used, tyres still perfect) Specialized Hotrock 16in for $120. Even if it only does him a year before he needs a bigger one I can sell it on. Love getting a bargain!! And it's red which is all he cared about.
    Last edited by WiseOldOwl; 26-11-2016 at 16:16.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to WiseOldOwl For This Useful Post:

SSecret Squirrel  (27-11-2016)