+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WiseOldOwl View Post
    The salesman I was talking to said you can buy a longer shaft bit for the handle bars that can give them some extra time on it. Could be an option for you.
    oooh that would probably be perfect actually. Will check it out next week because the seat can go higher, but the handle bars are then too low.

Thanks heaps.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlsRock For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (12-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RmumR View Post
    In my opinion the byk looks too small for him, as in it wont last long at all.

The other 3 look better
    Someone else said that too. Maybe it's the photo as I thought he looked really good on it. He definitely can't go to the next size, way too big. I have some other pics on the ByK
    Attachment 86284Attachment 86285Attachment 86286

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlsRock View Post
    oooh that would probably be perfect actually. Will check it out next week because the seat can go higher, but the handle bars are then too low.

Thanks heaps.
    No worries. Hope it works out.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to WiseOldOwl For This Useful Post:

GirlsRock  (12-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Go specialized - DS got that one at 3 ( he's quite tall!) and outgrew it by 5 ( moved onto a bigger mountain bike) but we sold his for $100 very easily as they do keep really well and are easy to re sell

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (12-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If he has low muscle tone, pick the one that he can ride the easiest.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (12-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    In a perfect world yes maybe you'd try the next size up, but as you've said you've done that and seen that he'll struggle and wont have fun. If it gets him started with the least difficulty then its worth it even if you only get a year out of it. For the next bike it might not matter so much if you get one a bit too big as he'll already know how to ride. Our 5.5yo has been able to transition onto his first 20 inch mountain bike now even though its a bit big, only because he is already a very confident rider - as a beginner I would never dream of putting him on the size he is riding. You can't buy bigger than they are comfortable with as a first pedal bike. If you can get him to try both in the same shop and see what he thinks (and the sales people too). Mind you his opinion might only be based on which colour he prefers! If he is keen, then let him try both then walk away for five minutes and then tell him there is only time to ride one of them again before you have to leave - see which he chooses.
    If its in your budget go for the good quality ones, you cannot put a price on the enjoyment that your kids get out of having a bike that they enjoy.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TwiceBlessed For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (12-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just some interesting food for thought.. We bought bikes from the tip shop for my step kids! They were having a half price sale on bikes that particular day and we got them for $5 each. We didn't size the bikes up for the kids, we just got the ones with the best chains haha. I never imagined I'd find myself at a tip shop buying anything but those bikes are one of the best bargains we ever got, the kids use them every visit. We've since gone back and picked up Razor scooters for $10 too. I couldn't imagine spending $300+ on a bike for a growing kid, that's so crazy! Definitely a lucky boy no matter which one he gets

Thanks
    Reviews
    My boys both graduated from balance bikes to good old Kmart $50 12" bikes, both around age 3, and had no problem. They both quickly outgrew them and went onto cheap 16" bikes around age 4.5....they both ride 20" BMX bikes now (5yo and 10yo). Their bmx bikes are properly fitted, high quality bikes (bought 2nd hand) Seems a shame to spend hundreds of dollars on bikes they will outgrown in a year, I would be looking 2nd hand..but my boys are very hard on their bikes haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it also depends on your expectations on their bike use. At 5 years old our kids were riding 10km with us. By 7 they were riding 20km. I wouldn't even consider a cheapie from K-Mart of Big W because they are heavy and uncomfortable to ride (our neighbour gave us one once...it was awful, and my child struggled to ride it for 5 minutes, let alone the kms we like to do). Even if it's just for around the park, with low muscle tone I wouldn't go a cheapie unless you can test out someone else's first and make sure he can ride it. They are crap in comparison. If you buy a good bike it will sell well, or use it for younger siblings. We get good use out of our bikes, and then sell them easily second hand and get decent money back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    I think it also depends on your expectations on their bike use. At 5 years old our kids were riding 10km with us. By 7 they were riding 20km. I wouldn't even consider a cheapie from K-Mart of Big W because they are heavy and uncomfortable to ride (our neighbour gave us one once...it was awful, and my child struggled to ride it for 5 minutes, let alone the kms we like to do). Even if it's just for around the park, with low muscle tone I wouldn't go a cheapie unless you can test out someone else's first and make sure he can ride it. They are crap in comparison. If you buy a good bike it will sell well, or use it for younger siblings. We get good use out of our bikes, and then sell them easily second hand and get decent money back.
    Agreed...but it's also what your kids are used to (and parents can afford ). My 5yo rode 22km last week on his cheap 2nd hand 16" street bike. I guarantee that if a cheap heavy bike was all they had and knew it will be ridden. Kids are adaptive like that ☺
    Obviously if a child has developmental/muscle tone issues then that needs to be taken into consideration.