+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This will be me in about 6 months. After ccr (we don't get ccb) the cost for 2 children will be about 100 per day. I get ccr paid direct to the centre. It works out best if I don't work more than 3 days per week, so we don't go over the $7k threshold. I also pick up weekend/public holiday work - double time & don't have to pay child care.
    Most of my friends work either part time or weekends, due to the cost of childcare.
    It's also going to be interesting trying to co-ordinate both kids to the same days at daycare. DS is 3 weeks old and I've just out him on the waiting list at our daycare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have 3 kids in care, 2 in childcare and 1 in before/ after school care. It costs a fortune. But if I hadn't worked for past 7 years I would be finding it so hard to go back to work. What works for us is that I work a weekend day most weeks, and DH works 1 weekend a month. Means less family time all together and lots of juggling but improves things financially.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I work part time (2 days a week + every 2nd Saturday) and have 2 children in long daycare and 1 in before/after school care. At the moment DH has kids 1 weekday and the Saturday. We get the rebate paid to service so just pay the gap. Its worth it at just max 2 days a week of childcare and income helped immensely by the weekend shift

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also could you look for a cheaper centre? We changed from a large chain ($110/day) to a smaller privately owned and run and much better for our family ($92/day)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    our centre is $133 per day, so it's on the upper end of the price scale I think.

may I ask what all those who say they work on weekends do for work? my job is strictly mon-fri, I can't really work on weekends.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    our centre is $133 per day, so it's on the upper end of the price scale I think.

may I ask what all those who say they work on weekends do for work? my job is strictly mon-fri, I can't really work on weekends.
    Registered nurse in Pacu/recovery. I've been lucky enough to get set days/times but I can be flexible when things come up

Thanks
    Reviews
    I only work part time, but when I went back after our second, DP started doing all the care. When I was just the one child, she'd sometimes be at childcare and sometimes with DP while I worked (I do shift work and he works for himself from home).

These day, that means that DP has less time to work. He'd rather have more time to work, but we've got to compromise.

I work afternoons/evenings/weekends, so that also means less "missed" work time on his part.

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    We couldn't afford 2 in childcare, it would be more than I earn out of pocket, I would have to reduce my hours. That's not something I want to do as for me working is more about career/personal development rather than money. Plus it's good to be earning some super after years of studying.
    Last edited by AdornedWithCats; 12-11-2016 at 11:37.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default how on earth do people do it?!

I think the before ccr/ccb rate is irrelevant. Even with no ccb at 3 days per week after you have maxed out your rebate the average cost per week for 2 kids x 3 days @$133 each per day means your out of pocket cost is $500 a week. So if you earned say $800 after tax for 3 days a week you're still in front by $300 a week. Might not be much but it's still $15k a year in your pocket!
    In your situation you might be better doing:
    2 days a week instead of 3 so you can maximize CCR and not go over the $7500 per child. Brings childcare cost down considerably to $266 a week out of pocket (offset be reduced income too though but also less tax).
    Work 2 days a week plus negotiate 1/2 day per week from home that you can spread over the week if your job suits this? This is what I do currently.
    Search for cheaper childcare. $133 is pretty steep. Not sure if you remember the thread I started a while back about childcare costs? $133 is right up there with the most expensive of any responses to that thread!
    For me it's a bit of a moot point as I only have one child. But similar scenario 100% reliant on formal childcare. I do 2.5 days a week of work and DD goes to childcare 2 days and I spread the rest of my work and study into time at home across the week. Not easy at all but I just fit in 1-2hrs minimum each day. I pay $93 a day in fees (full rate, after CCR and a few dollars in ccb my rate is about $40 a day so $80 a week out of pocket).
    I would only look at giving work away if it was costing me money to work - as in childcare was more than my income for 2-3 days work. Work is more to me than income and I'm certainly not going to stay home forever and I'd be terrified about getting back in to the workforce after 5+ years off so even if I was only bringing in an extra $100 a week after childcare costs I'd still work.
    I would not move interstate for the sole reason of family care arrangements. That's a massive (and potentially costly) life change and who knows if the family circumstances may change through death or illness which means that childcare arrangement is no longer an option. If you are happy where you live and truly want your life there then I'd stay where you are. Only move of there are other factors than *potential* free childcare pushing you.
    ETA childcare logistics/cost of childcare has zero bearing on our decision to only have 1 child btw.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (11-11-2016),turquoisecoast  (11-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    I think the before ccr/ccb rate is irrelevant. Even with no ccb at 3 days per week after you have maxed out your rebate the average cost per week for 2 kids x 3 days @$133 each per day means your out of pocket cost is $500 a week. So if you earned say $800 after tax for 3 days a week you're still in front by $300 a week. Might not be much but it's still $15k a year in your pocket!
    In your situation you might be better doing:
    2 days a week instead of 3 so you can maximize CCR and not go over the $7500 per child. Brings childcare cost down considerably to $266 a week out of pocket (offset be reduced income too though but also less tax).
    Work 2 days a week plus negotiate 1/2 day per week from home that you can spread over the week if your job suits this? This is what I do currently.
    Search for cheaper childcare. $133 is pretty steep. Not sure if you remember the thread I started a while back about childcare costs? $133 is right up there with the most expensive of any responses to that thread!
    For me it's a bit of a moot point as I only have one child. But similar scenario 100% reliant on formal childcare. I do 2.5 days a week of work and DD goes to childcare 2 days and I spread the rest of my work and study into time at home across the week. Not easy at all but I just fit in 1-2hrs minimum each day. I pay $93 a day in fees (full rate, after CCR and a few dollars in ccb my rate is about $40 a day so $80 a week out of pocket).
    I would only look at giving work away if it was costing me money to work - as in childcare was more than my income for 2-3 days work. Work is more to me than income and I'm certainly not going to stay home forever and I'd be terrified about getting back in to the workforce after 5+ years off so even if I was only bringing in an extra $100 a week after childcare costs I'd still work.
    I would not move interstate for the sole reason of family care arrangements. That's a massive (and potentially costly) life change and who knows if the family circumstances may change through death or illness which means that childcare arrangement is no longer an option. If you are happy where you live and truly want your life there then I'd stay where you are. Only move of there are other factors than *potential* free childcare pushing you.
    ETA childcare logistics/cost of childcare has zero bearing on our decision to only have 1 child btw.
    I agree with this, when I talk about the costs of Childcare it's always out of pocket. We pay $500 per week out of pocket for 2 kids full time. Centre costs $99 per day and we have our rebate paid to the centre so OOP is $49.50 per day (we aren't eligible for CCB). It still works out better for me to be at work. Childcare costs are just under 50% of my income so it's totally dependent on your wage on whether it's worth it. I recently got a promotion and prior, childcare was the equivalent of 70% of my wage. If i wasn't working before I wouldn't have the earning capacity I do now so totally worth it for me personally career wise & financially. I plan on retraining when my youngest is in school so I have the time to really focus on studying, and the extra income helps us to plan for that time.