+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Stop sucking your fingers child!!!

My almost 3 year old ds has started sucking his fingers. No finger in particular just anything (he is a thumb sucker but this only happens when going to sleep which I don't mind too much). It's driving me insane! His hands smell and he's constantly drooling. I tell him about 50000 times a day to take his fingers out of his mouth, and he does but they go straight back in. He's got all his teeth but I wonder if something else is warranting it. Occasionally when I pull them out a few times he'll rub his nose on the couch or cushion or whatever is closest. No idea if that's related.
    Please help, I need him to stop for my own sanity

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had a child like this. My daughter sucked the middle two fingers of her left hand for so long she has deformed her hand. !! I am not joking. She is 34 years old and has never been able to straighten her fingers. I did everything. She would take her fingers out whenever she saw me, but they would always go back in. I am sorry I don't have any advice, I hope you can find a solution. marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Stop sucking your fingers child!!!

My second DD starting sucking her index finger at 2yrs (around the time DH was away with work) and it was her constant source of comfort and relaxation, especially in the car or in front of the tv.
    I tried getting the Dentist to speak to her, prompted her to take it out whenever I saw her sucking, but alas, no amount of encouragement or prompting worked, she was oblivious to doing it half the time.

Out of the 4 kids, she was the one to get the most illnesses and after one particularly bad bout of influenza (first time any of the kids had gotten the flu) *please don't slam me* however I told her the reason 'she' got so sick and the kids getting influenza was because she brought home the germs on her finger straight into her mouth which then gave everyone the flu.

She was so sick and sick of being sick, that she was jolted into thinking about the germs etc and promptly stop sucking her finger after she recovered. This was no mean feat, as she had constantly sucked her finger from 2yrs old to 6 yrs old. It's been a year now and she has never done it again.

The worse thing is that as a result from her finger sucking, she has a slight lisp, ad in her tongue sits at the front when she speaks, though she has no speech impediment thank goodness. The Dentist has told her to consciously put her tongue to the roof of her mouth, which is easier said then dine with a 7 year old!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD2 started sucking her thumb at 4, it was her way of soothing her reflux which started getting bad again at that time. It's taken until now (aged 7) when we are running into some dental problems that she's actually stopped. We actually showed her pictures of people's teeth from the internet after sucking their thumbs, she was pretty mortified by it and worked so hard to stop. I'm not sure if your DS would understand by showing him pictures but it may be an option? We tried taping and the disgusting nail polish all didn't work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for your replies ladies.
    Yeah I'm not sure he'd understand those suggestions. He understands what we say to him, but not sure he'd understand the consequences. I might try the yucky nail polish though, cant hurt at this stage. At least I'll have tried

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yeah we tried the usual things, polish, glove at night but to no avail. When they're as young as your son, it's so much about comfort, so it's really hard to get them to stop, especially when it's an unconscious habit.

It's one of those things, a sort of combination of them wanting/willing to stop and being old enough to show/explain consequences. Cold turkey (I found) was nigh on impossible at toddler age, sadly.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

MrsDL  (10-11-2016)