+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was induced with DD. We only told my mum and a close friend that I was being induced. Everyone else found out after she was born (though i'm sure my mum told everyone)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Winner 2016 BubHubs DIVA Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We didn't tell anyone. Labour started after midnight. DS was born around 6am and we called everyone at 7am.
    We got visitors after lunch and it was great.
    I think both sets of parents would have liked to have known about labour but in reality, it was better for them to get a good night's sleep and wake up to good news.
    If we're lucky enough to go again, we'll have to tell someone because DS will need company

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsVZ View Post
    Thanks for your replies, I thought it was expected to let family know because it seems they're all expecting to hear the minute I go into labour. Maybe it just feels that way because this is the first grand child and we don't have family here in Australia.

I think I'll see how I'm feeling on the day and how things are progressing and just decide if I want to let anyone know or wait until we head to the hospital.
    Sometimes you're so caught up with being in labour and getting to the hospital ASAP that the last thing on your mind is telling everyone else. If they're not needed during the delivery then it doesn't really serve much purpose to let them know. You don't need all of your extended family and friends worrying as well! Best if they just find out once baby is born and everyone is ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think people expect birth to be like the movies and that you will want everyone waiting anxiously. We got induced both times, we did tell our parents and since they had young adult siblings at home we let all the siblings know so no one felt left out. We were very clear that it could take hours or possibly even more than 24 hours and not to expect or request updates through the day.

The first time my placenta didn't detach so I only got about half an hour after birth before I headed to theatre and hubby had to do the weigh/measure and call the parents alone. The second time around we rang after a while to let them know she was born and arranged for them to come in and bring dd1 in a few hours. Unfortunately they were flat out and hadn't moved me back to a room by then so everyone ended up in birthing suite with us which was fine. (We were probably 9pm by the time we got back to the room so I'm glad they got to visit that day)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We planned to tell everyone 24hrs after.
    I ended up having an elective csec though but as I didn't get a date and time until the Tues night before (csec Thurs morn) we didn't have time anyway.
    H let everyone know she had been born at 11.55 am on the Thurs.. he told them at 9pm that night and asked that noone visit until Sat.

Unfortunately she was in NICU so noone met her until she was two weeks old.

ETA: My only family here is my aunt. And this is my side's first grandchild, great grandchild and great-great grandchild lol
    4th on H's side but they were not impressed with not knowing asap- tough luck.
    Last edited by DT75; 10-11-2016 at 13:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Didn't tell anyone with our first. With our second, we had to ask my dad to pick DD up from childcare, but that was after our second was born (took DD to childcare, went to hospital not long after, DS was born by about midday).

Thanks
    Reviews
    With our first nope didn't tell anyone.

With our current one we will have to tell whoever comes to look after DS but apart from that no-one till afterwards. My mum is already annoying me about it and wants to fly over and be the one to look after DS. I really don't want her hanging around waiting. If she knew we were at the hospital she would be constantly texting me for updates, hell she would prob even try and FaceTime

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My waters broke on my mums couch the first time around, so they knew whether we liked it or not. MIL had to meet us at hospital with our bags as we had to rush straight there it happened so quickly. Then they all left us alone until we sent them a text that DD was born.
    With DS MIL had to come look after DD & I let my mum know we were heading in to hospital.
    Luckily our families aren't the sort to just turn up without being invited. So we were happy to let them know things were happening. They all came for a quick visit the next day (both my kids born at night).
    If they were the type to wait at the hospital anxiously we would definitely have kept it to ourselves!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We told our parents when I'd had my waters broken but only my parents knew I was being induced. DS was born quite late at night so thankfully we missed visitors til almost arvo next day and it was only mum

Sorry to derail....I'm so curious @witherwings ....is your bubba here yet?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My parents knew with each baby, and they would have told my brother and probably other close relatives. DH probably told his family...I don't know. No one texted us throughout, and there was no line up for visitors the second they were born so I didn't have that issue to consider. However, I also would never even consider asking family and close friends to wait a couple of days. I wanted to celebrate the birth of my baby with those I loved...so as soon as we were out of the birthing suite everyone was welcome.
    Last edited by Full House; 10-11-2016 at 16:45.