+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Did you tell family when you went into labour?

Only 2 weeks to go until my due date and just wondering if and how everyone chose to to let family know labour has started?

I feel that labour is a very private and personal moment in someones life but understand that with my family all being overseas that they would want to know when I go into labour. I'm just feeling a bit torn with how to ask them to keep it private because I don't want to put anyone in an awkward position like it's this big secret, but I just don't like the idea of extended family and friends knowing I'm in labour and constantly wanting to know what's happening. Will I even care once I'm in labour? I've already had my MIL email me to let me know that her ladies group at church have asked to know the minute I go into labour so that they can pray for me, which is very kind of them but I don't know them and as much as she means well, there's something about this that bothers me.

Should I just hold off on letting family know until we're getting close to going to the hospital?

We've already set boundaries about announcing the birth on our behalf and are very strict with social media, but never really gave much thought to labour until I got this email from my MIL.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Nope. No way.

We called MIL after DS was born and she tried to come straight away. I was still in the birthing suite. And barely had sleep.

We did tell my mum (staying with us) and MIL the 2nd time as they were looking after DS. And my labour would be short.

They did not end up visiting until we went home as 2nd time was not as interesting lol.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

MrsVZ  (10-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Nope we didnt let anyone know the first time till after DD was born. As she was born in the late evening no visitors till the next day which was perfect.

With DD2 & DS we had to have someone mind DD1 so we told my parents.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

MrsVZ  (10-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Did you tell family when you went into labour?

No way! Wasn't enough time! With my DD I had to call mum as she was my support person and she drove me to hospital. From first contraction to baby in arms in hospital was only 3 hours, including half an hour wait for mum and 15 minutes in the car (DD was born only 15 minutes after getting into the delivery suite). Mum was driving and I was in the passenger seat puffing and panting through contractions, no way did we have time to let everyone know!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

MrsVZ  (10-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No!

First time around no one knew. I was so glad because I haemorrhaged afterwards so we didn't get around to letting anyone know of DS's birth until nearly 3 hours after he arrived and we knew everything was under control. It was so nice to know we were under no pressure because no one was anxious that I was in labour!

The inlaws looked after DS during DD's labour but they were the only ones who knew. Fortunately we went to the hospital at 11am and she was born at 4:45pm so the wait wasn't huge and everything was fine.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to teenie For This Useful Post:

MrsVZ  (10-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    No way! Wasn't enough time! With my DD I had to call mum as she was my support person and she drove me to hospital. From first contraction to baby in arms in hospital was only 3 hours, including half an hour wait for mum and 15 minutes in the car (DD was born only 15 minutes after getting into the delivery suite). Mum was driving and I was in the passenger seat puffing and panting through contractions, no way did we have time to let everyone know!
    Lucky you!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies, I thought it was expected to let family know because it seems they're all expecting to hear the minute I go into labour. Maybe it just feels that way because this is the first grand child and we don't have family here in Australia.

I think I'll see how I'm feeling on the day and how things are progressing and just decide if I want to let anyone know or wait until we head to the hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't have family in Australia either & we didn't tell anyone I was in labour.
    I wanted it to be private and it was.

My DH made the call to family once DD was born & we'd had some time alone/all checks were done etc. and it was a better time over there lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was induced both times before, so we knew ahead of time and told close family about it (my parents, MIL, my sister and brother). But this time around I'm hoping it will be spontaneous and I'm hoping DH doesn't start announcing the labour before Bub arrives. I'll have to force him to reign it in. He's a huge over-sharer with his mum.

A few weeks ago I had a false labour scare and while we were in hospital, MIL was trying to call us for updates. Not going to lie, it was infuriating. I can't exactly articulate why, but like you say, it's private and you don't need the extra pressure. When I was in labour with DS2, my DH's grandparents were calling constantly for updates too! Jesus! Seriously, it was so annoying.

So yeah I'm hoping only people who absolutely need to know are told, eg whoever is available at the time to look after my kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Only told my parents. I was actually on the phone to my mum when I realised my waters had broken. Second time they were staying with me to look after DD1.