+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Was your birth support person always close by at the end?

I'm curious what others do when they are nearing the end of their pregnancies? Did your partner or birth support person stick around in close proximity all the time? I guess from one perspective, it's kind of unreasonable to expect, given that you just don't know how long you'll be pregnant for, could happen any day or drag on for weeks.. So does your support person still go to work, go out with friends, run errands etc? Or do they stay as close to home as possible and only go out for emergencies or important engagements?

Kind of hating my husband at the moment who doesn't understand why I want him at home but I'm starting to feel like I'm being unreasonable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    All we did differently was we had a contact phone number for a person who my DH and my mum worked with in the event I went into labour and they didn't hear their phone or were in a meeting.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (09-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My husband just went to work as normal. He doesn't have a big social life so went out pretty rarely but we just kept life pretty normal.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (09-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My husband doesn't work away from home, so he's usually at home all the time.. But he goes out most evenings. So this is where we are struggling.. Because evenings is when I'm most anxious/getting contractions/have kids sleeping at home..

I haven't had an issue with him going out until now (40 weeks pregnant)...

Gah! this sucks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    All as normal here. Just said no to going overseas/any other city during the last month.

Eta - I preferred for him to be at home longer after the birth than wait around annoying me at home. He still went out for a drink here and there on Friday.
    Last edited by twinklify; 09-11-2016 at 16:29.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (10-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Life as normal. Hubby still went out as long as he was sober and in mobile range. There was one even that I went to with him while 39 weeks pregnant because there was no mobile service so didn't want to get caught.

When all three labours started he was at least 90 minutes away. When I rang him with the first he said 'just let me finish burning this paddock then I'll come'. The paddock in question was 90 minutes from the hospital. He had a fair idea it would happen - is called him when he was on the way there to say my waters had broken.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    My hubby works away so there is no avoiding it unfortunately. When he is home he has a couple of overnight fishing trips planned but has agreed to be within mobile range and within 1-1.5hrs of home. It will mean I have to get someone else to take me to hospital as my labours are quick but at least he should make it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to emeraldsandsiamonds For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS1 my support was my sister who lived and still does live in NYC. She flew in on the Friday and I had DS 1 on the Wednesday night but my folks lived next door on the back street to me so they where always close by intact my dad was with me every day for the last month except night time as my ex h was off living his new life while I was preggers. DS2 was c-sec 4 months ago at 37wks. Dp worked half day at my surgery was 6pm and was home by 1pm we left for hospital at 3pm. My folks still live in the same house so they where here all the time taking it in turns incase something happened

14. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was unwell with preeclampsia from 31 weeks and it was touch and go from there with no idea how long i would last. DH went about life as normal At 34 weeks my ob said she was delivering bub the next day - DH was in Alice springs! He flew home the next day but ob held off as I stabilised. Then the day I actually had DD he was 7hrs away when I was admitted. Luckily for him my ob was in theatre all day and he made it back in time for the c-section that was stressful. Being out but close by (able to get home within 30-60 minutes) wouldn't bother me but he'd need to have his phone glued to him!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Hurry on out baby!!

My DP still went to work etc. both times I went into labour in the morning before he had to leave.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post: