2. The Following User Says Thank You to canadianbaby For This Useful Post:

bpac  (09-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGranny View Post
    Your letter is perfect. I hope you do get a satisfactory result from all of this. I am just curious, what size, / sort of knife was it. ?? A very serious situation for everyone involved, and I think the Vice principle is way too casual about it all. hugs, marie.
    thank you. DD said it was one of those black handled steak knives.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bpac For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (09-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bpac View Post
    This is what I sent. I know I could have worded it better but it is the best I could do ATM.

RE: DD

Good Morning,

I am writing to you about an incident that occurred in my Daughters Year 1 class yesterday the 8/11/2016.

I was only made aware of this incident last night at approx. 8pm when DD's teacher called me about it. When I told her I was not aware of any incident, she told me what had happened.

A boy in DD's class brought a knife to school and had it in his bag. He showed this knife to my daughter and told her he was going to kill her. DD went straight to her teacher and told her what had happened. The teacher sent the children out to recess and searched the boys bag. She found the knife. The boy was removed from the class room and an investigation took place.

I am sure you can imagine my anger, my frustration and also my enormous concern about this.

As I am sure it can also be understood the fact that I was not contacted immediately is (to my mind) borderline negligent.

I asked my Daughter about it this morning. She burst into tears and said she did not tell me because she did not want to be in trouble.

When I walked my daughter into school to speak to The principal, one of the 1st children my daughter sees is this little boy. I was beyond shocked at this.

The principal was not available so I spoke to the Vice Principal. She agreed I should have been contacted, apologised. When I voiced my concern about my Daughters safety, SHE WAS NOT AWARE THE BOY WAS BACK AT SCHOOL. After bringing a knife into the class room, and threatening my child.

I feel she also downplayed what happened. She said that DD saw the knife. That nothing else happened. Her Teacher and DD told me the exact same story. I believe this.

I believe the following things need to be determined ASAP.

1. Why was I not contacted
    2. Is there an incident report and can I please have a copy
    3. Is there a guarantee that my Daughter and the child will never be alone together?
    4. How did the situation Occur?
    5. How can the school protect my Daughter in the future?
    6. Does a police report need to be made?
    7. Why was the Child allowed back into the same class as my Daughter the Day after this occurred?
    8. What is the policy for Weapons brought to a school?

I was assured that the boy will be removed from DD's class for today, but I am sure you can imagine my concern, almost to the point where I was not going to leave her at school today.

I am extremely grateful The teacher brought this to my attention as I believe otherwise, I would not have known and my Daughter would currently be sitting I a classroom with the child who threatened to kill her yesterday. I want to make sure the The teacher is not penalised in any way as I believe she is the only person at that school who has dealt with this situation in the serious nature it should have been dealt with.

I would appreciate a prompt and satisfactory response to this.
    Sounds great. A good mix of expressing your anger whilst still being polite and sensible. I can't believe their response when you went in this morning!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

bpac  (09-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I cannot believe that this a) happened and b) the schools response, not only yesterday but when you approached them today!

Your letter was great, very well worded and to the point without being aggressive, well done.

I hope the school take this seriously now x

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

bpac  (09-11-2016)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2016 - Member you'd most like to meet
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    @bpac I don't know why, but reading your email has me in floods of tears. I feel so sad that this has happened and I think your email is perfect. Please keep persisting and demand answers. I am so sorry that your school has let you down like this.

I hope you're ok.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

bpac  (09-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Omg I can't believe the school handled it so badly

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

bpac  (09-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    @bpac I don't know why, but reading your email has me in floods of tears. I feel so sad that this has happened and I think your email is perfect. Please keep persisting and demand answers. I am so sorry that your school has let you down like this.

I hope you're ok.
    I am sorry! I would like to thank you for all of your advice. It has helped me keep a level head and stay rational. It also helped me to have the confidence to stand up for this.

I am going ok, determined to keep DD out of this as much as possible and I think that is helping me keep it together. My DH gets back into town tomorrow so I will probably crash then.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bpac For This Useful Post:

BluePixie  (10-11-2016),harvs  (09-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your letter is perfect. I am glad your DD has a wonderful teacher and you did what you have to do to protect your child, otherwise this incident would simply slip away without any notice. With that kind of response from VP, the school might not even contact that little boys parents.
    It is OK to have a cry once your DH is back.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hksl For This Useful Post:

bpac  (09-11-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (09-11-2016),SuperGranny  (09-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you've handled this brilliantly.

I can see the perspective of "oh he's just a kid, it's not that serious", but it's completely unacceptable for the school to actually approach the situation in that way. Yes, he's a child, but he needs to know that weapons and threats will ALWAYS be taken seriously, and that everyone deserves to feel safe.

I hope you get a satisfactory response soon!

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

bpac  (09-11-2016),LaDiDah  (09-11-2016),Wise Enough  (09-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Well done with the email OP.

This has not been taken seriously by the principal and this is ultimately a massive failure in their duty of care.

I am actually concerned they haven't even told the boy's parents what happened. He should absolutely not be allowed back into the classroom the next day as if nothing happened. It seems to me that they're downplaying it so that they don't have to worry about the red tape involved with a serious incident.

Thank goodness your DD's teacher was honest enough to call you personally and let you know what actually happened.

Good luck with everything to follow

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

bpac  (09-11-2016)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast