+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Gym childcare

Does anyone use the childcare at their gym? I never have... Is it ok?

Is it regulated like long daycare - eg qualifications, carer to child ratios etc? I know it will vary from gym to gym, but what does yours have for kids to do? Can you ask the workers to give your little one a snack, etc? Does your little one like it? How much do you pay?

Sorry for my million questions. If you can be bothered, please just answer whatever you feel like ☺

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I used to work in a gym creche. We were all qualified and had first aid/blue card.
    You were only allowed to leave your child max 3 hrs and had to provide food and nappies.

We had a set routine each day like a child care as staff were able to bring their kids as well while they worked.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Poppy For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (08-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is 2.5 and has been attending gym crèche at least 2-3 times a week since he was 7 weeks old. His carers are lovely and all are qualified to care for him . They have a ratio of how many kids of each age group they can care for st any given time. I book his spot online through their website. Maximum
    stay is 2 hours. The longest I have left him is 1.5 hours and it costs me $3.
    They have a heap of toys and do some basic crafting. There's also a tv mounted on the wall. The carers have plenty of interaction with the kids. I take a water bottle but no food is allowed. They also don't change nappies. If a nappy change is required the come and get the parent to change it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pumpkin1106 For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (08-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm about to start doing this again after not being st the gym for years but when DS1 was little he would go and the carers where all qualified they would let him have a snack I provided along with nappy changes etc but you must supply it all. It was free then for a max of 3 hrs but it's all diff now max of 1.5 hrs cost $1.50 and you still supply. The cost isn't to bad but when your paying $20 a week for care and you go 3/4 times it all starts to add up. My folks will have DS2 while I'm there so that will save me money over time. I'm at the SA Aquatic centre and it's run by the YMCA which make a killing here and they also own a lot of other things now that use to be free but you have to pay for now

7. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (08-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Mine is $5 for up to 3 hours, or you can pay $10 per week for unlimited usage. You book online and they only have a certain number of places for each age group. They do craft, watch movies and play with toys. They're allowed to take snacks and water to eat there. The answers have been so varied, it might be worth popping into the crèche at your gym to ask these questions of them.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (08-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ours is great DD has been going for nearly 4 months now since she was 16 weeks old.
    Ours is $8 and she's usually there for 1 hour max 1.5
    They do heaps there for all age groups. There's painting and play doh, blocks, cars, books, doll houses, little kitchen stuff.

With dd's age they do age appropriate stuff they give her tummy time for me.
    They're happy to change nappies give snacks or bottles - you just have to tell them (and supply them!)

Our creche coordinator has been fantastic and she's helped me through some tough times with DD!! I think she's been my fairy godmother this year!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to clb84 For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (08-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both my girls have attended as babies. Ours is $6 for 2hrs & you take nappy change items and a snack.

I understand staff have to be qualified & abide by set ratios etc. There is only 1 regular staff member at our gym and she's lovely but I wouldn't say the care is the best. But I don't think much harm can be done in the hour my girls attend.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to YeahYeahYeah For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (08-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you, ladies! Sounds promising. Will investigate further at my gym ☺

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I've done it at 2 different gyms, the first I had a major falling out with them as they neglected to provide proper attention to DS and as a result he found some food and at it (he was about 10 months old at the time).

I started going to a different gym with a creche when DD was a few months old. I was very anxious about it given my previous experience and how high maintenance DD was (eg, had to be held all the time). They were brilliant, the standards were much higher and I still go to that gym and put the kids in on the weekends and school holidays so I can work out. The only allow water to drink or baby formula for babies and the only food allowed is fruit or vegetables. This is to manage any food allergy issues. There are plenty of toys for the children and range in age and a TV with movies. I pay $3.50 per child per hour.

Having a quality gym creche was such a benefit to me when DD was a baby. Having that one hour per day of me time was wonderful. No child could ask for me, touch me or want to be fed.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (08-11-2016)