+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think its disgusting and wrong and shaming children doesn't help teach them right from wrong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Firat of all, I hate the term 'naughty child', and it is completely innappriate to use in a school setting, so I would expect and hope that isnt the term the teacher is using.

Secondly... some of you are showing your incredible naivety when it comes to managing classroom behaviour. Remember there is one teacher, and up to 30 6-7 year old children in this class, and she needs to be able to effectively TEACH those 30 children whilst managing their social and emotional needs all day long, whilst dealing with behaviour issues and making sure they arent, you know, killing each other. Sorry, but although positive behaviour management needs to be the FIRST thing put into place, effective classroom management also involves consequences for unacceptable behaviour. Some teachers choose to write names on the board. I taught younger children and personally didnt ever use 'names on the board', but I had a positive behaviour chart, and a chart for misbehaviour too - each step on the chart would mean something, like a little chat with me at recess or a consequence such as writing an apology note to a child they hit for example.

The teacher needs to be able to effectively manage the SPD, and the unique needs of the child - but since your DS was only diagnosed two weeks ago, she wouldnt have had a lot of time to put practices into place to manage that. At thid time of year, I would be focussing on next year, as PP said. Definitely positive strategies to prevent poor behaviour due must come first - but for the sake of the whole class, consequences for unacceptable behaviour need to be given too. I know I don't want my child in a class where a classmate is allowed to hit her when he is overwhelmed with SPD, & he doesnt receive any consequences. I want my child to feel safe, and I want her to learn.

I'm saying this as both an Early Childhood school teacher, and a mum of a child with SPD.

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (08-11-2016),Chippa  (08-11-2016),harvs  (07-11-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (08-11-2016),misho  (07-11-2016),Mod-Degrassi  (08-11-2016),Stretched  (07-11-2016),Tiny Dancer  (08-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't love the idea of names up on the board to identify those who have behaved poorly, but I only have a Prep child so not sure what's the norm in older classes. I understand that consequences are important and that teachers use this method to keep track of behaviour, but I would prefer this to be done in a way that the information is not on the board for all other students/teachers/visitors/parent helpers to see. I can see that some students would respond positively to a method such as the names on the board, but I can think of a number of reasons that some kids would really struggle with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    The teacher needs to be able to effectively manage the SPD, and the unique needs of the child - but since your DS was only diagnosed two weeks ago, she wouldnt have had a lot of time to put practices into place to manage that. .
    Assuming a teacher was adequately resourced and trained I would like to think they wouldn't wait for a formal diagnosis before implementing non-naughty-board strategies. I would expect a teacher to flag concerns with a parent that helps with a formal diagnosis, not wait until a formal diagnosis is delivered before doing anything.

Unfortunately not every school is resourced appropriately and not every teacher had the right training and experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Gosh I get a good laugh out of BH sometimes...
    OP, I think you've had some sound advice given by teachers here. At home we don't use reward charts etc...but I'm also not teaching a class of 20+ kids and trying to control them all either. I've volunteered in classrooms with my kids, and it's intense. If it was me, I'd start the new year fresh with your new diagnosis and go from there. I liken school rules to the workforce...there are rules and ways at school that are different to at home, which is no different to work. If the teacher is writing an obvious naughty list, and using the word naughty, then yes...address that for sure.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (08-11-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (08-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    ETA - decided not to bother!
    Last edited by cheeeeesecake; 08-11-2016 at 13:18.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (08-11-2016),Theboys&me  (08-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cheeeesecake I couldn't agree with you more!!! I love armchair experts who love to tell us how to do our job but with absolutely no clue of the reality of day to day life in the classroom. Dealing with students with extra needs presents challenges beyond the normal day to day expectations.

OP I don't have an issue with names under a sad face but if it's been happening all year clearly it isn't working. Your child may need a behaviour plan tailored to meet their specific needs. The teacher should be able to identify triggers and suggest strategies to combat those triggers. Class Dojo works brilliantly with my class but my "pointy" end kids need more than that. This year is almost over! Hopefully you'll get a better teacher next year.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Chippa For This Useful Post:

BB77  (08-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Can I just add in as a parent whose child only started school this year to those who don't yet have school aged children - it's truly eye opening and astounding how any teacher manages to teach a class room of little kids and until I sat in and watched them you don't realise how hard it is ! so even though I'm not making excuses for teachers and yes they are trained it's so easy for those of us to say what should or should not be done but the reality of looking after 20 plus kids daily while trying to teach, mother, correct, discipline, organise and keep them all engaged all while following the schools particular protocols and parent expectations is amazing - then add in kids with extra needs i can only imagine how hard that would be , OP I would talk to your principal and as pp have said see if they can help with a plan to start next year , with the new teacher and now you have your diagnosis hopefully they can work with you to make a plan to help your DS

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

harvs  (08-11-2016),Stretched  (09-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read all of the replies, only the last few, but I've gotta say, I'm sure it's not a "naughty board". All teachers have different behaviour management strategies and unfortunately you're not going to like them all. I'm sure its part of a wider, step by step reward/consequence system. It's come to a point where teachers have lost all power and there is a serious lack of respect from a lot of parents (not meaning you op, just some parents from my experience). The few posters who have said that controlling a class of 20+ kids is blardy hard, are right.
    Of course if your ds has had a diagnosis then other things need to be put in place, like an individual education plan and a behaviour plan if the board thing hasn't worked all year for him.
    I'm sure it's disheartening to see your boy's name up there all the time. Perhaps it's time for her to try something new. Please don't go to the principal or "complain" to the teacher. Have a chat with her about your concerns.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BB77 For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (08-11-2016)