+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Naughty kids names on the board at school? WDYT?

I doubt it's actually called the naughty list.

I have done that in the past (written name under happy and sad face) to remind the students and myself to give reward or consequence etc.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 06-11-2016 at 19:49.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (08-11-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (06-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks all. Lots of opinions. He does have some fidget toys and and a weight ball. This is a teacher who definetly does not cope with her class. General concensus is she should go on stress leave LOL. I just think after almost 1 year of having his name on the board almost everyday you'd look at that and go , you know what? ' ,this strategy is not working '. I asked him today why he thinks his names on there so much and he says he doesn't listen. Same issue in preschool so he was held back, same in prep and now same in year 1 ( diagnosed woth SPD 2 weeks ago ). It's the ability to focus not the listen. I'll chat to the OT and see what she thinks. Thanks all ☺

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Has he had his name up just for not sitting still or is there more to it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD's class has all their names on the board and it's called the dojang. If they do something right they get points if the muck up the deduct points. At the end of the week I think the child with the most points gets a small reward. I don't mind that system as it's all of them involved.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    My DD's class has all their names on the board and it's called the dojang. If they do something right they get points if the muck up the deduct points. At the end of the week I think the child with the most points gets a small reward. I don't mind that system as it's all of them involved.
    Yep we do class dojo at my school and they do it at my children's school too.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

ICanDream  (06-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS can't sit still if his life depended on it. He's the one in assembly spinning in circles, the one in a line who dancing around or hopping or just moving. In the OT assessment he spent most of the non activity part of lying alternating from lying upside down in the chair to right way up. It was the inability to sit still that raised concern. He walked at 9m , at 11m I had all chairs in the table so he would not climb up. One day I came in and he'd not only climbed onto the table, he'd then climbed up into his high chair that was up on the table. He was not even a year old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What about ADD?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have a problem with 'naughty' but not with the names on the board

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I doubt it's actually called the naughty list.

I have done that in the past (written name under happy and sad face) to remind the students and myself to give reward or consequence etc.
    Me too. In conjunction with various other strategies I don't see a problem with this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogis Mumma View Post
    I am a teacher and it doesn't sound as though the teacher is responding well to your son's needs. I'd be meeting with the teacher or go higher to discuss strategies to help your child succeed in the classroom.

However, I don't disagree with writing names on the board. It helps the student and teacher keep track of where they are in terms of behaviour management. Most will have a '3 strikes policy' and this is a way of recording it. It usually deters students from progressing further.
    I agree with all of this but do sincerely hope the teacher isn't using the term "naughty". And while the teacher may not be using effective strategies for a child with SPD, up until 3 weeks ago they didn't know it was SPD, they won't have been getting any support from the school's special needs team, etc.

I work with my classes at the start of each year to develop our agreed behaviour expectations and rewards/consequences. I do work with middle and upper primary and often they ask for a name on board warning system. It gives them a check in and also means the rest of the class can help support the child to have good behaviour (I'm big on this, eg. if kid A has already had a warning for running in class, then Kid B decides to start chasing Kid A - causing Kid A to again run in class - then Kid B is not helping Kid A to manage their behaviour and stay out of trouble.)

VP, your comments about a teacher being able to always divert a meltdown is hilarious! How many parents with just a couple of kids in their care can divert every meltdown? Things happen beyond our control. A special assembly gets organised last minute, the AP who they can go sit with and look at their fish tank is off sick, a preppy throws sand at them during play time, there are not enough black unifix to work out the addition problem, we can't immediately make everything perfect. Strategies and back up plans will fail sometimes.

OP, to speak frankly, we're 5-6 weeks away from the end of the year and I'm assuming your child will have a different teacher next year. I'd just suck it up until the end of the year (assuming we're not heading towards suspension or the like) and organise a meeting with next year's teacher as early as possible. Explain your concerns, have some strategies and ideas. A smiley face book broken down into hourly sessions works well but only when the family support it. Break down the time into as small a chunk as need be. A 2hr block is often broken into 2-3 sessions. They may behave perfectly during the maths session but not during the small group reading discussions. It would be a shame to get a frown for the whole time block. Plus this can help to pin down activities that are triggers and may need modifications.

But on the whole, I would now focus on next year. You may even want to meet with leadership now to request special transition. Sometimes children with additional needs benefit from having a few sessions with their next-year teacher before the year's end. So I would see if this is possible once they know their classes for 2017.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (08-11-2016),HollyGolightly81  (08-11-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (07-11-2016),MissMuppet  (07-11-2016),SuperGranny  (08-11-2016)