Closed Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    @ICanDream, I hope the tag works, because I am losing my space bar when I quote atm. I understand where you're coming from regarding wanting to try something. I was on my phone before, and I've had issues with my keyboard when posting from my phone so I was keeping it short, which then completely lost the tone of my post in doing so.
    Fair enough re swimming. Running will burn off his muscle, so probably isn't the greatest exercise for bulking. If he's uncoordinated but likes his muscles etc...what about cross fit for kids? I'm not a huge fan of cross fit, but it's hard to get a weight based training program that is designed for kids, and cross fit have one. Otherwise, a local gym that might have child specific programs. Ultimately though, the best thing for him will be to accept his body shape...a very hard thing to do, I know. It sounds like he's going to be dealing with being skinny and struggling to put on weight for some time yet, though if it's genetic.
    As far as protein balls go...they're really easy to make, you just need some kind of food processor....mixture of nuts, dates, cocoa and coconut oil to bind it altogether works well. Try and get something more substantial in him for breakfast if you can...it can be hard when they're going through a fussy stage, and sugary cereals are pretty addictive so it can be hard to get them to stop eating them, but it will at least sustain him for a bit longer throughout the day if he isn't eating much at school.
    I read over this again I actually think he might benefit from a physiotherapist and learn more about his biomechanics of his body to understand what we can see in his limitations, especially flexibility and motion. He doesn't see an issue with his body type, he thinks he a lean fit fighting machine (just preferably play fighting with his dad) sporting a six pack. But if he could hit 30kgs I think it would help his mindset of being thinner than his peers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Weight gain for 10yo without dairy

Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    If you don't have any experience or don't feel comfortable providing advice thats fine, please just leave.
    Just to clarify I do have experience and that's why I gave the advice I did. I'm sorry if it's not what you want to hear. Good luck finding a trained professional to agree with you that focusing so heavily on weight and appearance in an otherwise healthy child is the way to go.

Night.
    Last edited by VicPark; 06-11-2016 at 21:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    My DH had a super fast metabolism until he hit about 40 and even after it slowed it's still fast. He struggled for a long time with being skinny despite eating. We did manage to fatten him up a bit before his metabolism slowed so I'll list what we did.

Carbs and lots of them. Bread, pasta, milk.

Plenty of protein to build some muscle. If he isn't a big meat eater, eggs have a tonne of protein and are a great brecky option. Also, you could put a scoop of protein powder into food. It's more difficult if he isn't a fan of milk but you could make protein balls are suggested with the powder.

Try to dissuade grazing in favour of 3 big meals (of course don't deny him snacks if he's hungry). It can help to slow the metabolism.

In regards to breakfast, you could so an omelette with bacon, mushroom and red onion, make up a big batch and have the left overs the next morning (I do this when I do low carb and live off protein).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

ICanDream  (06-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

@Mods I'll leave for now but if it continues to derail like this I'll let you know.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

I don't need passive aggressive suggestions that I'm some sort of idiot that is going to screw up my child because I couldn't possibly do something sensibly.

Congratulations @VicPark you've clearly highlighted your feelings toward me and I won't be in a hurry to come here for further advice.
    Last edited by ICanDream; 06-11-2016 at 21:30.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

babybeeno1  (06-11-2016),Sonja  (06-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Just to clarify I do have experience and that's why I gave the advice I did. I'm sorry if it's not what you want to hear. Good luck finding a trained professional to agree with you that focusing on weight and appearance in an otherwise healthy child is the way to go.

Night.
    Honestly I wasn't going to bite but just stop. I have an extremely skinny 11 year old so I get where the OP is coming from. My eldest is as fit as a fiddle and runs in competitive cross country races which she couldn't do if she wasn't healthy. But she's under 30 kg and very tall. She hates being so thin.

I encourage her to love her body and herself no matter what she looks like. But I'm not the only voice in her ears and head. Other girls and adults comment on how thin she is. Mostly it doesn't bother her but sometimes it does. So I get where the op comes from. It's a place of love and interest in wanting to help her son.

You don't have experience with this. You just clearly don't. Stay out of this you are just spoiling for a fight.
    Last edited by Sonja; 06-11-2016 at 21:23.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

GirlsRock  (07-11-2016),Redcorset  (07-11-2016),TheGooch  (07-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    And I see both sides of the discussion here. Knowing what DH put up with (he had comments asking if he was a junkie, if he was sick, which deeply hurt him) I get why the OP wants to help her son gain weight.

And i get where VP is coming from. I think she's coming from a good place maybe questioning is he's just a thin child. As the mother of a thin daughter (like her father) I want her to love who she is and be true to that. So I believe VP just has your son's best interests at heart.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (07-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    @Mods can you please close this.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

I don't need passive aggressive suggestions that I'm some sort of idiot that is going to screw up my child because I couldn't possibly do something sensibly.

Congratulations @VicPark you've clearly highlighted your feelings toward me and I won't be in a hurry to come here for further advice.
    Please don't close this because of one poster. Just turn off her comments so you can't see them.

You've received some great advice and frankly it's helped me too. Xx

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

twinklify  (06-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Come on. There's nothing personal in it. No one is saying you are an idiot. It's obvious you are a caring mum. This is a complex issue and unfortunately the solution goes well beyond protein balls and shakes. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Before this thread gets closed...Icandream...please do your own research regaring protein powders and kids.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

ICanDream  (06-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    OP I totally get where you are coming from. No one wants their child bullied and we want to make their lives happy. Weight is something you can change and as a loving mum you want to help him gain weight to take those issues away.

It's ok You sound like a good mum.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

ICanDream  (06-11-2016)