Closed Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Weight gain for 10yo without dairy

Quote Originally Posted by Shoopuf View Post
    I think it's pretty clear the OP is just trying to help her son, who is experiencing some difficulties with body image already due to being teased because of his weight.

She's not asking for a strict diet plan from others. She's probably seen doctors and dietitians who have probably said exactly what all doctors and dietitians say about the weight of kids who are skinny but otherwise healthy; don't worry about it, he'll be fine. And physically he will be. But I don't think concern about his physical health is what has inspired this post. What I see is a Mum who just wants to help her kid with what is clearly a distressing facet of his life right now.

A little compassion wouldn't go astray.
    You are making a lot of assumptions there.

Of course the OP is trying to do what's best for her son however I think it would be irresponsible to not point out the damages that focusing on weight can present for an otherwise healthy child.

Speaking from experience, Kids will always find something to tease - trying to find happiness by moulding ourselves to others ideal of perfection (as opposed to working on confidence and resilience building) is a slippery slope to unhappiness at what is a very fragile and impressionable time.

That's all I have to say on this - OP can choose to take it on board or not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Why are you so against mentioning what medical advice you have already received?

I stand by what I said. If you don't provide context as to what medical advice you have already sought and received then people are wasting their time giving suggestions and the focus on weight *could* damage your child's body image.

Doctors and nutritionists are trained to help people like your son do what they need to do in a healthy way. Most people on Bub Hub aren't.
    Our GP thinks it's fantastic that he is so slim given the current trend of obesity in children and does not feel the need to send him to a dietitian or his paediatrician.

We don't speak to DS about his weight, he doesn't know I'm on here, he just knows that kids at school tease him for being skinny. I'm not damaging him, thank you very much, I am surreptitiously trying to introduce some other items into his food that may or may not help add some weight to him.

Most people on Bub Hub aren't doctors or gynos but we throw around pregnancy and birth advice based on our experience - all I'm asking is for the same.

If you don't have any experience or don't feel comfortable providing advice thats fine, please just leave.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

amyd  (06-11-2016),babybeeno1  (06-11-2016),BornToBe  (07-11-2016),GirlsRock  (07-11-2016),HollyGolightly81  (07-11-2016),Redcorset  (06-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    You are making a lot of assumptions there.

Of course the OP is trying to do what's best for her son however I think it would be irresponsible to not point out the damages that focusing on weight can present for an otherwise healthy child.

Speaking from experience, Kids will always find something to tease - trying to find happiness by moulding ourselves to others ideal of perfection (as opposed to working on confidence and resilience building) is a slippery slope to unhappiness at what is a very fragile and impressionable time.

That's all I have to say on this - OP can choose to take it on board or not.
    To be fair, you also are making a lot of assumptions. Mine are at least consistent with the information that the OP has provided. I don't have the energy to argue with you. If you don't want to help the OP, then don't help. But it's kind of unfair to come in here and lay a guilt trip on her for asking for help.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shoopuf For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (07-11-2016),Redcorset  (06-11-2016),Sonja  (06-11-2016),TheGooch  (07-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi OP, I make this smoothie that my 2yo loves (although I must admit the 5yo and 7yo are not fans)
    1 avocado
    1 can coconut cream (400mL)
    2 x frozen banana
    4 TBS almond meal
    2 TBS cacao powder
    And about 400mL water.
    Can add some honey if you think it is not sweet enough.
    I freeze any that is leftover for another day.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

ICanDream  (06-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    At the risk of being slammed we let our kids have weetbix with sugar and a bit of cream for breakfast. They will now eat enough breakfast to get them through to morning tea with what I think is better nutrition than rice bubbles.
    As kids in my day we used to put butter and sugar on them for an after school snack

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babybeeno1 View Post
    As kids in my day we used to put butter and sugar on them for an after school snack
    Sounds like a spin off thread... how do you eat your weet bix . I used to put kraft singles on them.

I had someone come to stay and got my 4yo breakfast. She said "do you have sugar on your weet bix?". My DDs eyes got as big as plates and she quickly nodded . 4 years I got away with sneaking sugar onto mine and not hers!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We used to put butter and syrup on ours as an afternoon school snack.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We did too, my friend had butter and Vegemite on them. I let the kids put honey on them. My mum used to let me put cream on my ice cream - it goes hard like ice magic. I still do it some days

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

babybeeno1  (06-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    Sounds like a spin off thread... how do you eat your weet bix . I used to put kraft singles on them.

I had someone come to stay and got my 4yo breakfast. She said "do you have sugar on your weet bix?". My DDs eyes got as big as plates and she quickly nodded . 4 years I got away with sneaking sugar onto mine and not hers!
    Your wish is my command.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Mod-Wise Enough  (07-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would suggest more protein and carbs. Pikelets with peanut butter, cheese sandwiches, bliss balls (source of good fats from nuts, coconut oil, etc).
    And I'm sure you already are, but encouraging a "love your body" attitude and the confidence to shake off those bullies. This IMO is the hardest part by far! All the best OP

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redcorset For This Useful Post:

ICanDream  (06-11-2016),VicPark  (07-11-2016)