Closed Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Weight gain for 10yo without dairy

Would he go for a homemade smoothie?

You could make one in the mornings in lieu of breakfast to sustain him, and make them non/dairy with some almond milk or coconut milk, with some oats, protein powder, fruits, berries etc.

Since he eats yoghurt, maybe getting some chopped fresh fruit, oats, nuts etc as a breakky or lunch time meal.

My brother was the same and still is and he's now in his 30's, he wouldn't touch dairy and was very thin, he ended up needing pentavite as his iron was on the low side (I know..nothing to do with lack of dairy) but it explained a bit of skinniness so to speak.
    Last edited by Mod-Uniquey; 06-11-2016 at 17:38.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

ICanDream  (06-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    At the risk of being slammed we let our kids have weetbix with sugar and a bit of cream for breakfast. They will now eat enough breakfast to get them through to morning tea with what I think is better nutrition than rice bubbles.
    No slamming here the kids and I love eating Semolina porridge with cream, smudge of butter and sugar for breakfast, yum!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

amyd  (06-11-2016),ICanDream  (06-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    Does it actually matter why he is skinny? I'm asking for advice related to gaining weight in kids, not as to whether or not other people think it is necessary.
    If course it's relevant. The reasons why someone is skinny impact whether there should be a concern, as well as the suggestions (if any) which may be suitable for the individual.

Depending on the reasons:
    - people may be wasting their time giving you advice
    - you may be wasting your time asking for advice
    - advice given *could* be harmful for your child.
    - focusing on weight and diet could lead to body image issues.

If you aren't able to say what medical advice has already been sought and what medical guidelines have already been provided then I would encourage people to not offer suggestions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My eldest has the opposite problem, she gains weight really easy. So I'm going to list foods she loves
    - creamed rice
    - custard (I don't use powder j do it with eggs and milk/cream in my sisters thermomix)
    - dips
    - my smoothies I makes with blueberries, bananas, strawberries, mango, passionfruit, raspberries, and apples. I put in a few spoonfuls of ice cream and a bit of milk, but you can't tell when it's all mixed up that there's even dairy in there
    - toast and porridge
    - cheese
    - sucky yoghurts
    - heaps of fruit
    - almonds and macadamia nuts
    - what about a toasted sandwich for breakfast?

Thanks
    Reviews

@Wise Enough do you have a recipe for creamed rice? Not so much for DS but DD and I would like it

Thanks
    Reviews

@Wise Enough do you have a recipe for creamed rice? Not so much for DS but DD and I would like it
    I am lazy now and make it in my thermal cooler so follow one of those recipes.

But this is similar to what I do when using a saucepan
    http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/38247/creamed+rice

My DD1 loves it, DD2 is indifferent. I love to mix it with some tinned apricots.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    If course it's relevant. The reasons why someone is skinny impact whether there should be a concern, as well as the suggestions (if any) which may be suitable for the individual.

Depending on the reasons:
    - people may be wasting their time giving you advice
    - you may be wasting your time asking for advice
    - advice given *could* be harmful for your child.
    - focusing on weight and diet could lead to body image issues.

If you aren't able to say what medical advice has already been sought and what medical guidelines have already been provided then I would encourage people to not offer suggestions.
    He is a skinny healthy 10yo boy with no medical issues. If you don't want to offer suggestions then that's fine but please don't go around telling others not to - I came for advice like every other hubber does. I have given answers and explained that he is being teased for being skinny. I'm not wasting anyone's time or I wouldn't have bothered to ask - yes maybe I'm wasting my own but at 40 I'll make that decision for myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

He is a skinny healthy 10yo boy with no medical issues. If you don't want to offer suggestions then that's fine but please don't go around telling others not to - I came for advice like every other hubber does. I have given answers and explained that he is being teased for being skinny. I'm not wasting anyone's time or I wouldn't have bothered to ask - yes maybe I'm wasting my own but at 40 I'll make that decision for myself.
    Why are you so against mentioning what medical advice you have already received?

I stand by what I said. If you don't provide context as to what medical advice you have already sought and received then people are wasting their time giving suggestions and the focus on weight *could* damage your child's body image.

Doctors and nutritionists are trained to help people like your son do what they need to do in a healthy way. Most people on Bub Hub aren't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Why are you so against mentioning what medical advice you have already received?

I stand by what I said. If you don't provide context as to what medical advice you have already sought and received then people are wasting their time giving suggestions and the focus on weight *could* damage your child's body image.

Doctors and nutritionists are trained to help people like your son do what they need to do in a healthy way. Most people on Bub Hub aren't.
    I think it's pretty clear the OP is just trying to help her son, who is experiencing some difficulties with body image already due to being teased because of his weight.

She's not asking for a strict diet plan from others. She's probably seen doctors and dietitians who have probably said exactly what all doctors and dietitians say about the weight of kids who are skinny but otherwise healthy; don't worry about it, he'll be fine. And physically he will be. But I don't think concern about his physical health is what has inspired this post. What I see is a Mum who just wants to help her kid with what is clearly a distressing facet of his life right now.

A little compassion wouldn't go astray.

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Shoopuf For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (07-11-2016),BornToBe  (07-11-2016),Full House  (06-11-2016),GirlsRock  (07-11-2016),HollyGolightly81  (07-11-2016),ICanDream  (06-11-2016),Redcorset  (06-11-2016),Sonja  (06-11-2016),TheGooch  (07-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I like the idea of crossfit OP - any kinda weight should bulk up a bit. For protein, maybe try and find a protein powder that does not have too many additives. I have had a look into pea protein - it might be ok? (Pea protein is marketed as vegan protein).

14. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

ICanDream  (06-11-2016)

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast