+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert01 View Post
    OP, it seems like travel time is the biggest concern you have at present, is that right?

Aside from that do both of these schools seem like equally good 'fits' for your daughter?

I can understand how travel time is important. School days can be long and tiring, for everybody. To be honest, I would be wanting to minimise any outside of hours school care, if I could. It costs money and just creates more time pressure for already stressed out and time poor parents...although, I believe lots of kids love it.

Do you currently rent or own your own property?

Would it be worthwhile moving closer to the public school?

Does your dh feel strongly enough about the public school to take the lion's share of the drop offs and pick ups?
    Travel time is a factor definitely, I have a job where some days I need to be out by 7am, others 9 or 10, it just depends. I will be doing all pickups due to flexibility, she would need to be in after school care 3 days a week for a short time. The private school has supervised play until 3:20 so that does appeal to me because it's more likely we can avoid using after school care. We don't own our property, we rent currently - The area of the public school is substantially more expensive and would be more than the school fees in the increase of rent to move, we've lived in our current house for 2.5 years and we love the area. DH offered to do the majority of drop offs, but took that back when I agreed to consider that because it isn't fair (which I agree with).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @bwrlab FWIW I grew up in Brisbane, moved away for over a decade and came back with school aged kids in December. I enrolled mine no problems in the January a week or so before school went back. The school mine go to isn't the local, but is in the next suburb over.

I can fully understand why you want your kids to go to that private primary. It is a good school and has always had a good reputation. If I was in your shoes, I would be concerned about the travel time and traffic getting to the state school you are considering. It's not just school travel, your kids will make friends with kids who live local to the school and want to get together on weekends for playdates etc.

I *think* I know the catholic school you are referring to. Does it have a royal name? If yes, I don't know anything about it or your local state school. Also I think the state school you are thinking of would be closer than some that I listed earlier.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 06-11-2016 at 19:32.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

bwrlab  (06-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    @bwrlab FWIW I grew up in Brisbane, moved away for over a decade and came back with school aged kids in December. I enrolled mine no problems in the January a week or so before school went back. The school mine go to isn't the local, but is in the next suburb over.

I can fully understand why you want your kids to go to that private primary. It is a good school and has always had a good reputation. If I was in your shoes, I would be concerned about the travel time and traffic getting to the state school you are considering. It's not just school travel, your kids will make friends with kids who live local to the school and want to get together on weekends for playdates etc.

I *think* I know the catholic school you are referring to. Does it have a royal name? If yes, I don't know anything about it or your local state school. Also I think the state school you are thinking of would be closer than some that I listed earlier.
    Yes it does have Queen in the name! We have a 3 year gap between our daughters and when the youngest would start prep the eldest would be on the other campus. It's a shame because we like it but it was important for them to be together. I am going to sit down tonight and factor in all associated costs (camps, outside school hours care etc) and then try and discuss further. I really want to see DHs perspective but it's very hard!