+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My ex h once let my then 5 yr old DD walk to school on her own from his house ! I was so angry ! He said her 7 yr old brother could look after her, little did he know that DS ran off with his mates leaving miss 5 to walk on her own ! so irresponsible

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Walking to school

Can't see it happening anytime soon because my eldest will be 9 when my youngest starts school and I wouldn't expect her to be responsible for her younger brother or sister who would be 7 and 5 at the time. It would be pointless me letting her walk to school by herself or with her brother when I would still be taking my youngest to school at age 5.

I work 3 days week and my kids are at before school care/daycare at 7:30 on those days. I'm not going to let them stay at home by themselves on those days until 8:30 and then walk to school.

I don't normally worry about stranger danger and all that as I know it's not any more frequent these days but just yesterday we received a note home from my children's school saying that a child from the school was approached by a stranger whilst walking to school. It was later reported in the local newspaper. A 7 year old boy was grabbed by a man on the footbridge. The boy managed to escape and run down the stairs of the bridge and safely into the school.IMG_1478331545.681733.jpg
    Last edited by BigRedV; 05-11-2016 at 17:38.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (06-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I used to catch a bus, then a train and another bus from school by myself from the age of 7.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Only crossing the road which is fair enough IMO (assuming one is talking about a real road and not a dirt track that sees one car per day) . And I totally back the article on not letting your kid walk to school alone before ten. No way in heck I would let my kid walk to school alone at 7 or 8.
    I think there should be way more scope in these guidelines. Maybe you wouldn't, but I would, as would 90% of the families at our school as far as I can tell. 7 and 8 year olds walking to OUR school are perfectly safe the whole way. I see Preps walking to school with siblings all the time. There is a steady ****** of scores of families walking along the same street every morning, and everyone knows every one else and looks out for one another. I really feel like some of these safety rules (holding hands on footpath till 10) are just completely over the top and it makes me dismissive of all of their recommendations, to be honest. It makes me think they place too much emphasis on the risk of injury over any other risk- risk of obesity, of car accidents (more cars driving to school = more danger for everyone), of kids getting to 10 and having zero road sense because they've always held someone's hand etc. I could think of a bunch of other risks related to kids not walking to school on their own in primary school but I'm sure you've all heard me harp on about this enough times!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (05-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I didn't realise the guidelines was to hold hands even on the footpath.....
    LMFAO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    I didn't realise the guidelines was to hold hands even on the footpath.....
    LMFAO.
    I have another mothering fail. DS hates me touching him when walking unless HE wants to. He does tend to stick next to me unless he is super comfortable in the area though. And I cannot yet master pushing pram, carrying bags & stuff and holding DS's hand.... maybe I need to grow more arms and hands.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    I have another mothering fail. DS hates me touching him when walking unless HE wants to. He does tend to stick next to me unless he is super comfortable in the area though. And I cannot yet master pushing pram, carrying bags & stuff and holding DS's hand.... maybe I need to grow more arms and hands.
    Maybe put him on a leash? 😂
    Don't worry many of us are facing the same battles every day. I just let her walk?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Meh, I don't hold my 8yo's hand and haven't for quite a while but I still think there are good points in the article.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Maybe put him on a leash? 😂
    Don't worry many of us are facing the same battles every day. I just let her walk?
    Oh dear. But that makes him LIKE AN ANIMAL! I had a monkey backpack we used to use but he is too old/strong/heavy these days.

I never thought that letting him walk/run ahead a bit sometimes was a bad thing. Bubhub blows my mind sometimes.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (05-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    I never thought that letting him walk/run ahead a bit sometimes was a bad thing. Bubhub blows my mind sometimes.
    Yep. Sometimes it seems so far removed from the real world. A blessing and a curse.
    Nobody speeds, nobody pockets $6000, nobody gives their kids juice, the show us your dinner thread thread doesn't contain fast food , chicken nuggets or toast......
    Oh and we all take our kids out of the car to pay for fuel 🙄
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 05-11-2016 at 20:56.