+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    From memory it was pretty soecific to that town due to the issues they were having. I'm sure someone who lived there posted in that thread and explained the dynamics of the town. Where I live, the kids are encouraged to walk to school with friends and siblings by the school.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by just her chameleon View Post
    I think that article is nuts. Always hold their hand... until they're 10?! Sorry I think that's completely and utterly overkill.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Full House  (05-11-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (05-11-2016),smallpotatoes  (05-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Walking to school

Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I think that article is nuts. Always hold their hand... until they're 10?! Sorry I think that's completely and utterly overkill.
    I agree.
    And what if you have multiple kids?
    You only have 2 hands?

My dd1 (almost 4) crosses the road without holding my hand as I'm busy pushing the stroller. If it's a main road I may ask her to hold the stroller but I find it hinders her ability to walk normally at her pace.

I think parents are capable of making their own risk assessments based on their own children and the area- a blanket rule/age is ridiculous.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (05-11-2016)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Walking to school

Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    I agree.
    And what if you have multiple kids?
    You only have 2 hands?

My dd1 (almost 4) crosses the road without holding my hand as I'm busy pushing the stroller. If it's a main road I may ask her to hold the stroller but I find it hinders her ability to walk normally at her pace.

I think parents are capable of making their own risk assessments based on their own children and the area- a blanket rule/age is ridiculous.
    You're meant to hold her hand all the time, didn't you know- not just on the road, on the footpath too. Until she's 10.

This is actually blowing my mind that this is the recommendation, and that people think it's a worthwhile one. The world has seriously gone crazy.
    The peripheral vision argument is also making my jaw drop. If you teach kids to stick to footpaths, cross with the lights and/or guard, look both ways and listen out for traffic then apart from a freak accident they will be right as rain. 10. SMH. The world has gone insane.

ETA found the kid.spot article. The recommendation for 9 years was from kidsafe, who also advise not to let children under 5 climb anything higher that 1.5 meters. HAHAHAHA. Yep, that's a completely reasonable recommendation. Basically, no kids under 5 on any slide, anywhere mmmkay?
    Last edited by FearlessLeader; 05-11-2016 at 16:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No way, before the age of 10.... at least.

Thanks
    Reviews
    However. Holding their hand until 10!!! I'm a bit of a helicopter parent, but that's insane!

Thanks
    Reviews
    In my day we all walked together. There where 10 of us from 4 houses. To and from school. I was 4.5. Times have changed. DS1 is 9 and he only walks with me or my dad to school. But he will walk around to my folks through the park while I watch from the back balcony. Next year when he is in grade 4 I'm going to teach him to walk. We have 2 roads to cross to get there

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How do kids learn if we hold their hand all the time? My DS is 3.5yo. I cannot hold his hand 70% of the time.

He gets talks all the time about stopping. Of I am alone with both the kids I try and pick 'safer' places to walk so he can run.

We practice safe walking all the time. Every time someone is doing the wrong thing we point it out and talk about why it is wrong (poor people probably overhear about why we do not ride skateboards in the middle of the road without a helmet near a blind corner).

He is fairly good.

I am not sure when I will let him walk. The school is across the road from the neighbour behind us. Who has said he can cut through their yard if he wants. Otherwise to go around it is maybe 100m or so with 1 crossing (this is a supervised crossing).

We know quite a few of our neighbours who would keep an eye on him if needed too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Only crossing the road which is fair enough IMO (assuming one is talking about a real road and not a dirt track that sees one car per day) . And I totally back the article on not letting your kid walk to school alone before ten. No way in heck I would let my kid walk to school alone at 7 or 8.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the problem is that no matter how much you talk to kids about stopping and safety, and how good at it they usually are. They don't have the capacity to control their impulses as well as *most* adults can.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

Reina83  (06-11-2016)