+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Help with gift ideas for DH's 40th

Hi lovely people,

I'm in a bind. My incredible DH is turning 40 at the end of the month. He has had a really rough year in a variety of ways. Due to this, my normally extroverted, happy man doesn't want a party, just dinner with close friends (which is fine, we had a big bash for his 30th). I'm so stuck with ideas for a gift. Honestly, I've got nothing. We're not massive gift givers. I can't think of a single thing he really needs or indeed even wants!

One of our best friends and I have organised to take him to see Bill Bailey the week before his birthday as a surprise. He will love this. But our friend is refusing to take a cent from me (she booked the tickets). She is single and generous and wants to gift the entire evening to us (she is also coming). So I don't feel like that can come from me, it's her birthday gift to him.

I'm thinking an experience but I've got nothing. I'm searching future shows but can't find anything suitable. Argh I'm starting to stress about it

Suggestions more than welcome!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    What is your price range? What things does he like? Could you treat him to a weekend away somewhere nice? What about one of those days out you can organize where you hire a Ferrari/Lamborghini? I know DH and his best mate were planning to do something like that (just haven't got around to it yet). For dads 50th mum organized for a group of about 10 of us to go on a private fishing charter. They group we went through even do marlin fishing which would have been kinda cool (I don't eat the fish, but I don't mind being on the boat catching it haha). Has he had any interest in flying? You could look at a first lesson flying a plane or helicopter. Or even just a joy ride somewhere. Actually we got dad a joy flight in a tigermoth for his 40th that included aerobatics. He enjoyed it! Well, he did say once was enough haha but it was exhilarating in a "safe" way that wasn't jumping out of a plane. For mums 50th we went on a champagne breakfast hot air balloon. That was pretty cool too. Hope these suggestions help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Is he an adventurous type? Would he like something like:

bungy jumping
    sky diving
    quad biking
    race car driving
    diving
    Abseiling

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    What about an uber circle necklace or wristband with your and your kids names on it. UberKate website has some gorgeous things for men and something that would be a milestone gift.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Not an experience thing but an idea.

I got DH a really nice watch one year (it has a small diamond so I told him that I got him his first diamond). You can get it engraved and it's something that can last years. Unless he hates wearing watches. Then ignore my idea lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got DH a rado watch for his 30th. He'd been eyeing them off for about 10 years. He'd never have bought it for himself because of the price.
    I know that he wants a flight in some sort of aircraft (I can't remember which one atm) so will do my best to get that for him for his 40th. Alternative will be a holiday, depending on our finances.

For other big presents for other family members, we've bought/contributed to a family photoshoot and paid for prints, harbour bridge climb, race car driving, a big fancy clock (they have a thing for clocks), and a piece of art that they had been admiring for ages.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would do a night or weekend away. Stay in a fancy hotel and have a fancy dinner...that's what I'd want!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Uniquey View Post
    What about an uber circle necklace or wristband with your and your kids names on it. UberKate website has some gorgeous things for men and something that would be a milestone gift.
    I got DH uberKate cufflinks when DS2 was born (his first child). They have some really lovely stuff.

I sent DH off to AC/DC with his brother in law for his 40th. They then had a weekend in Sydney.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey  (04-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the ideas ladies. I've been toying with a fishing trip (without me, I'm terrible on boats). DH has a fishing mate, I might look into that a bit further. Been flat out today but had a quick look at the Uberkate site. Umm, I want all of it!!!! Stunning! I think I'll definitely get something from there, so thank you so much! I'd never heard of it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to teenie For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey  (04-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have Uberkate ubercircles myself, my Dh bought me a circle each time I had a baby. I've bought so many pieces for family and friends over the years, the quality of Kate's craftsmanship is just beautiful.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

teenie  (04-11-2016)