ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default *trigger warning* meningococcal death

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...04f49ca23db9eb

Did anybody see the news? This poor baby died of meningococcal B strain.

Apparently there is a vaccination in the U.K. for this strain but here, you have to pay. I think it's so tragic there's a chance it could have been prevented if the vaccine had been given.

Why can't Aussie children be vaccinated against this?! (As part of the normal vaccine schedule)

Can't stop thinking about this little man and his parents

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes they went to my normal local hospital and discharged because it was a 'tummy bug' would hate to be that doctor then got home and spots appeared.

We got kids vaccinated after ds was sick with his illness my mum paid for kids first birthday presents

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

babybeeno1  (04-11-2016),yadot  (04-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I had scripts for bexero written up for both girls and due to financial constraints (unpaid mat leave) I confess we never got around to it. Roughly $125 a dose, plus $75 doctors fee a pop. For 2 children it was just too much- but then you feel the guilt thinking what price a life?

It's a moot point though, the doctor mentioned yesterday at dd2's 12 month needles they are out of stock everywhere.

She also mentioned a main factor that it's not on the schedule yet is they are simply not sure of the longevity of the vaccine- ie whether it lasts a couple of years only so the govt us yet to be convinced it is worth the money. And it only covers one strain of the virus. They are hoping for more advancements.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

yadot  (04-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    I had scripts for bexero written up for both girls and due to financial constraints (unpaid mat leave) I confess we never got around to it. Roughly $125 a dose, plus $75 doctors fee a pop. For 2 children it was just too much- but then you feel the guilt thinking what price a life?

It's a moot point though, the doctor mentioned yesterday at dd2's 12 month needles they are out of stock everywhere.

She also mentioned a main factor that it's not on the schedule yet is they are simply not sure of the longevity of the vaccine- ie whether it lasts a couple of years only so the govt us yet to be convinced it is worth the money. And it only covers one strain of the virus. They are hoping for more advancements.
    Just read there is a worldwide shortage and no stock until the new year.

I have been thinking about getting it for the kids. Obviously can't now due to no stock but in the new year. Probably after I start work again.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

yadot  (04-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum is a nurse in a GP practice, she told me the reason C is included in the vax program and not B is because C is the prevalent strain on the east coast (here in WA, B is more prevalent though). So it's a numbers game basically. On average, someone is more likely to catch C than they are B because there's more people on the east coast.
    The B vaccine should be back in stock early next year. I'll be getting it for DD at some point.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp....?client=safari

This is the original story.

Went to Noarlunga hospital they sent him home with tummy bug. Mum knew something was wrong and thought chicken pox so they went to flinders who sent him straight to women's and children's after they had put him on life support with an hour.

Noarlunga is 35km south of Adelaide and this hospital has had so many depts shut down for lack of funding

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by besha View Post
    My mum is a nurse in a GP practice, she told me the reason C is included in the vax program and not B is because C is the prevalent strain on the east coast (here in WA, B is more prevalent though). So it's a numbers game basically. On average, someone is more likely to catch C than they are B because there's more people on the east coast.
    The B vaccine should be back in stock early next year. I'll be getting it for DD at some point.
    Yes I've heard it's also a case of there was more prevalence of meningococcal C until it went on the schedule, now that most kids are vaccinated they are seeing more of an occurrence of meningococcal B. It's been low on stock for months I think, we haven't had it done as I'm in two minds with the cost mainly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh I've been meaning to get my DD2s second one, silly me will need to do it next year now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

We are in the U.K., men B only got put on the schedule Sept. last year so babies born from May 2015 onwards are covered for free but if your child was born before that then you have to pay privately, so DS2 has had his for free but we had to pay for DS1. They've done it this way and won't do a catch up program because even though children under 5 are at risk of catching it, younger babies are at the highest risk and being that it is a new and expensive vaccination they can't afford to do a catch up program. A two year old girl died at the beginning of the year from it and everybody rushed out to do it privately so the vaccine went out of stock and they stopped allowing people to do it privately so that they still had enough for the younger babies. Luckily we had already started DS1 so they had to finish his round for him. I'm sure as the vaccine becomes more widely produced Australia will look into putting it on the schedule, we do have to remember that it is very rare to catch it.

ETA: now that it is back in stock you can do it privately but I think the already expensive cost has gone up a bit.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 04-11-2016 at 19:14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We got DD done earlier this year and had enough trouble then trying to find someone who still had available stock of the b vaccine.