+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Flying with a toddler, while pregnant

After your best advice for travelling with a toddler, while pregnant.

We have an hour flight, then an hour to wait, before an hour and a half flight. We have family picking us up at the other end, but they aren't terribly fantastic at arriving on time.
    I'll be 26 weeks pregnant, and have come close to fainting twice in the last week.

We have travelled a few times, just the two of us, but I've never been pregnant. I won't have or be able to use the carrier. I also won't have a pram/stroller. And we'll be getting on the last flight at his normal nap time. I know he won't nap on the plane, no matter what I do (because that would be easy).

Best hints and tips for getting through the day with my sanity still in check?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How old is your ds? We flew to cairns (3hours) when our ds was 15months old and I was 17 weeks pregnant. We downloaded some shows (wiggles, Thomas etc) onto the iPad, it was a lifesaver. Also lots of snacks. I didn't think he would sleep but he did for about an hour on the way there and the whole flight on the way back although it was on me. Good luck, I'm sure you will be fine.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Happymum2 For This Useful Post:

Tiny Dancer  (03-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oops, sorry! He'll turn two while we are down there.

I know from past experience he won't sleep. His favourite things are planes, trains and robots. There is just too much going on for him. I dropped family at the airport and he cried because he wasn't going on the plane. On the plane, he's too busy inspecting everything and telling all the passengers and flight attendants about the propellors going round and round.

I've never done the shows or movies on the tablet before. I like that idea. Especially if I get Planes and Robots. He loves Bee movie too. Will also get Thomas if I can! Maybe some colouring in apps....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Portable DVD players are good too (about $70 from target).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Happymum2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely pack snacks, enough for you as well as your child. We've been on a flight that ran out of food.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tb2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I always have a bag full of little new things...preferably wrapped, as the unwrapping takes time...toy cars/trains/dinosaurs. A roll of sticky tape keeps little fingers entertained. A pot of playdoh. Stickers. Dvd/ipod with favorite shows etc.
    I do a big ziploc bag of individual snacks...A non - leak drink bottle for you and him... A change of clothes for both of you.
    Cross fingers you get a spare seat...having a toddler on your lap while pregnant is not much fun...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

smallpotatoes  (03-11-2016),Tiny Dancer  (03-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Any ideas on how to manage the lay over and the baggage pick up with no means of restraint? He is usually super active, and his favourite word is "bast" (fast). He gets distracted by the environment easily. The more tired he is, the faster and more distractable he is. I'm worried he's going to take off and I will lose him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Dancer View Post
    Any ideas on how to manage the lay over and the baggage pick up with no means of restraint? He is usually super active, and his favourite word is "bast" (fast). He gets distracted by the environment easily. The more tired he is, the faster and more distractable he is. I'm worried he's going to take off and I will lose him.
    Would he look for the bag? If you put a ribbom of a colour or trains or something on it? And maybe ask someone if they mind getting it for you so you can stay with him? Also you shouldnt have to change bags over on a stop over? Or do you mean at the end?

I travelled with DD while pregnant and I got my mum to meet us at the gate to help. I also find people really want to help you. I found the same when I travelled with both the kids by myself earlier this year.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybaby View Post
    I always have a bag full of little new things...preferably wrapped, as the unwrapping takes time...toy cars/trains/dinosaurs. A roll of sticky tape keeps little fingers entertained. A pot of playdoh. Stickers. Dvd/ipod with favorite shows etc.
    I do a big ziploc bag of individual snacks...A non - leak drink bottle for you and him... A change of clothes for both of you.
    Cross fingers you get a spare seat...having a toddler on your lap while pregnant is not much fun...
    This is how we travel as well.
    Some other ideas:
    Magna doodle with pen attached. You can get little ones which are perfect travelling size. They scribble and I draw as well and they guess what it is
    Favourite book
    We sing nursery rhymes.

I'm not sure what your DS's attention span is like, but I try lots of little things and save the iPad for the end.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We fly all the time buy a yoyo pram! It's the only pram I use now u can take it as carry on then just kids back pack

Pack snacks, kids can't eat plane food because allergies. I pack loads of crap! Sultanas, teddies etc stuff they have never had so it's like they are fully surprised DS can't work out head phones. I packed trains but he chucked them and I gave up. If u fly with Qantas they will usually help with connecting flight i don't find virgin as helpful. Then when we get to Melb or wherever we have a treat of hot chips or whatever yep a day of crap food but who cares and I fuel off coffee. when mine were younger I asked them to be harnessed in car seat!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post: