+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Chance for cycle with low number of follicles?

Hello all

So - I'm 38, and just starting IVF again to try for number 2. We were successful for number 1, when I was 35, after 2 IVF cycles. I have low ovarian reserve.

I started jabbing a few days ago, and had my first scan today. I only have 4 follicles showing at the moment I am already on the maximum dose of the medications, so nothing to alter there.

So - has anyone had success with a cycle with a low number of follicles? I'm worried about the cycle being cancelled

And anyone who has had a low follicle cycle - did you get any more in your next cycles, or is this how it's likely to be from now on??

Sigh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Chance for cycle with low number of follicles?

My last round earlier last year I only got 6. 2 of which were only good. 1 freshie transfer that failed at 7wks the other was fet transfer which also failed on day 10 in oct. Not sure why it was genetically fine. But got preggers naturally off that fet

Edit I'm 39 now and was nearly 37 when this round happened

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (03-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you @babybeeno1.

Bump for morning crowd?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm a poor responder. Massive doses of meds but due to my age (42) the best I ever got out of my 4 cycles was 3 eggs. My clinic never suggested that I cancel a cycle due to low follicle numbers - I think they were worried that that might be the best I could ever do, and therefore encouraged me to proceed with EPU even in the event that there was only one follie. Unfortunately for us, the closest we ever got to success was a MMC at 8 1/2 weeks, and we have since moved on to donor eggs

The thing is, you just never know what the next cycle might bring. A different protocol, a new medicine, and some pure dumb luck can make all the difference. Or....that might just be where things are at for you now. It is a bl00dy unfortunate thing that as we get older this whole baby-making business just seems to get harder.

I know you're not 40 yet (and I'm not trying to suggest you're old ) but please feel free to pop over to the Over 40's and IVF thread and have a chat with the ladies there. I think you'll find that many of us have/are facing a similar situation to yourself. I'll tag you when I get over there so you can find us

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (03-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello,

i can identify with your situation. Although I'm over 40yrs old, I have now got low ovarian reserve. I got my DD at 37yrs old from that cycle I got 13 eggs with two to transfer and one to freeze. Had a FET and it failed. Got pregnant naturally and had mc. Did another cycle at 38 and got 7 eggs 2 to put back and none to freeze. It didn't work. I had another natural miracle at 41yrs. And had a d&c baby sleeping at 12 weeks.

We we ran out of money and here I am trying again at 43yrs. I don't know how all these women stay strong throughout this. I'm a mess and only just kicking off with syneral.

I feel i dont don't have the right to be upset because I at least have one, there are many without any.

No no matter your age being faced with your own infertility it's a shock. When it comes earlier than expected then it's even more of omg moment. All I can offer is my story and my hugs.

I iwsh i Sh I was up to your stage so we could be cycle buddies. I have heard many with low follicles say it only takes one.

Im considering at the moment if I'm done after this cycle or if I want to progress to egg donor. I'm not sure, I'm not sure.

Sincerely
    mysticfalls

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MysticFalls For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (03-11-2016),Phia  (03-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Justjaq! Glad to see you back on this ride but it's a tough one hey?

Are they four good looking/sized follicles? I'm a low responder too, same age as you. I got four mature eggs each stim this year and one out of each cycle made it to hatching blast/was PGS normal. So you don't need big numbers. Still waiting to see if this FET worked. There is hope! Each cycle was the same drugs for me, I don't know if a different type would have given me more.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flower78 For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (03-11-2016),MysticFalls  (03-11-2016),Phia  (03-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went ahead with 2 follicles. We got one egg and he will be turning 6 in March. I was advised to cancel the cycle, but I wanted to go ahead with it. Miracles can happen.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ManchesterLass For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and when we went for number 2, I had 13 follicles, so sometimes you just have a better response than others.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ManchesterLass For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (03-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The cycle I just did, there was only 3 follies with a couple of possible small ones. We ended up getting 4. 2 transferred and found out on monday that Im pregnant.
    So its definitely possible from a smaller number of eggs. Remember quality over quantity goodluck
    Last edited by kdsd; 03-11-2016 at 13:03.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kdsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    One round we only got 5 and I was so disheartened, but that cycle got us our son. It's quality not quantity

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to me+he&she=three For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (03-11-2016),Phia  (03-11-2016)