+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default WWYD? Child in car

I'm interested to know what people would do in this situation as I myself am a bit of a 'worst case scenario' thinker and tend to worry a lot. I pulled up into a parking lot and next to me was a car left running, with a girl who would have been maybe 7 in the front and a baby capsule in the back. I was in my car for about two minutes and then ran in to get a bottle of water and would have been 5 mins max, i saw a lady who I thought was Mum walk out with a bag of shopping and the car was gone by the time I got back to my car. What would you do? My heart was racing thinking of what could go wrong. Would you stop her and say something? Would you do this? FWIW I have two kids 5 & 2 so I know what it's like to not want to drag them through a supermarket but I can't shake the awful thoughts going through my head!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would have stayed in my car next to the kids until mum came back just to make sure they were ok. When mum came back I would just get out and go on my way..

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kim85 For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (02-11-2016),Lovemysons  (02-11-2016),smallpotatoes  (02-11-2016),Wise Enough  (02-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If I had the time, I'd do what @kim85 said. If not, and there was no immediate, obvious danger, I would've went about my business. I'm sure I would've been thinking about the kids and hoped the parent/carer was back soon or could see the car from where ever he/she was.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If the car was running (ie air con was on) I would have waited next to the car for 5 mins and if no one came i would call the police.

If the car was off and it was a hot day and windows were up, I would call the police and wait by the car. If no one came after 5 minutes I would smash the window with a window smasher thing I have on my key chain. Totally legal to do it.

I get that sometimes it's hard to drag kids into shops but if it's so hard, get someone else to do the shopping, order online, have someone watch your kids etc. lots of other safer options. What if the car had been stolen? It's just so dangerous, it beggars belief that people do this. Maybe for 1 minute while you run to pay for petrol but not while you go shopping. No.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (02-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The car was running? I wonder if the older child locked the door when their parent got out. If not, I think this is extremely dangerous as anyone could have hoped in and driven away with the kids. I also think leaving a car running is dangerous when there are children inside because what if the car got knocked into drive or the kid took the handbrake off. Accidents happen. Mum used to leave my sister and I in the car when we were old enough and knew to crack a window if it was warm inside but the car would always be off. By the time electric windows were in our cars we were old enough to decide to have our window down before she turned the car off. I would have stood by the car in this case and told the parent I was making sure nothing happened to them before walking off. Passive aggressive but it ensures the kids are okay and the parent might stop to re-think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (02-11-2016),babybeeno1  (02-11-2016),binnielici  (02-11-2016),MrsTugs  (02-11-2016),onionskin  (02-11-2016),VicPark  (02-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Attachment 85966

C'mon..... anyone biting?
    Me!

A 7 year old IN THE FRONT SEAT!

Honestly, I probably would not do much. Maybe hang around for a minute to make sure a parent comes back.

In saying that, I think it's illegal to not secure your vehicle when not in it and insurance will not cover you.

I personally do not see myself doing this but I only have a 3.5yo and a 6 month old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Attachment 85966

C'mon..... anyone biting?
    No but now I want popcorn.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I would hang around if I had time, if not I would take down the number plate and let the shop know so they could either go check or put a call to mum on the speakers.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (02-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Redcorset View Post
    If I had the time, I'd do what @kim85 said. If not, and there was no immediate, obvious danger, I would've went about my business. I'm sure I would've been thinking about the kids and hoped the parent/carer was back soon or could see the car from where ever he/she was.
    This

I don't see this as a big deal.