+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default TTC and FIFO chat

Hi all,

Thought I'd throw the question out there (I'm sure it's been asked before...)
    Is anyone else out there TTC with a FIFO partner, or perhaps you're FIFO yourself, or both FIFO even?

I'm 38 and my DH is 39; no kids yet, and we're both healthy non-smokers. DH is a FIFO worker, with a 2 week on, 1 week off roster. This means we get roughly one opportunity every three months, i.e. where he's home during some/all of my fertile week.

It's early days, but I'm kind of panicking at the thought of this process possibly taking 3 times longer than for regular couples. At 38 (and a half) I really feel the need to get preggars quick-smart, especially if we want the option of a second! I'm curiously toying with the idea of sperm-banking DHs boys, for insemination in my crucial weeks. But that feels a little drastic; it's only been a month of TTcing... But, like I said, 38. Yikes.

Anyhoo, holler back if you want to join in with the TTC/FIFO musings.

glr

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DH is FIFO, and I can sympathise with the timing issues... I'm the end we used IVF in the end for #1, we tried for about 6 months then got 'tested' DH sperm count came back really low so IVF was recommended, #2 was a complete fluke, DH was home at the right time & everything fell into place... fast forward to #3 & he's still FIFO, we got his swimmers tested early to see where we were at & as it was same place as #1 so went straight back to IVF using one of our frozen embryos from when we had #1, currently 9weeks pregnant with #3.

So I would recommend both of you tested, you don't have time to waste because of his roster & also age is not on your side (sorry) so if it was me, I'd ask to get tested to make sure you both have strong fertility so that can be eliminated from the worry, it's such a restrictive lifestyle!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi AmyEL, thanks for the helpful reply; you've confirmed my thoughts. I think I'll book us both in with our GP for a referral to get fertility tested like you've suggested, and we can go from there. At least then we'll know what we're dealing with!
    glr

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Easiest test to do is to get your DH to get an analysis done ruling out that side of things is pretty simple

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there,
    Similar situation for me. DH is always away. We are only two months in to TTC#1 and I just got my hormones checked today. We are probably ruled out for next month (assuming this month isn't a success) because of work already. It's pretty frustrating.
    Has anyone seen the at-home sperm tests? I saw them in Chemist Warehouse and wondered how reliable they are. I would probably have a better chance getting DH to use one of them then suggesting he get tested after TTC for only a couple of months. He thinks it will take six months and knowing my luck it will be bang on six just so he can say "I told you so!"