+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Where to move to?

Bit of dreaming/possible future planning. DH works at a coal mine here in C.Q that is up for sale which means his job isn't as secure as we would like so we have been looking into possible options in case he gets retrenched. At first we thought of maybe moving overseas but we just can't bring ourselves to take the steps to do it mainly because it would mean leaving family so we have started looking into maybe doing a tree change. DH LOVES Victoria and we are more then happy to move there however we just don't know where to even start looking at as possibilities. Ultimately a smallish community would be perfect but DH's job (I.T Coordinator/manager) is hard to find in small towns so even if a short commute to another larger place is needed then that's ok. So I turn to wise and sage people of the hub for suggestions of places where DH is likely to find work in his field (obviously no move would be made without a job) that is also nice, with low crime rates and great schools?

Sorry if this post isn't clear or is all over the place but lack of sleep and being constantly interrupted trying to type is making it hard to concentrate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You could always try the dandenong ranges like Belgrave and Upwey, it's beautiful up there with amazing views, not too much effort to commute into the city. Downside is yard maintenance (need to be vigilant for bushfire season)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tdez For This Useful Post:

loodle  (30-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You will be able to narrow your search a little based on budget. The geography surrounding Melbourne varies a lot in each direction, so think about if you want flat plains, treed mountains or rolling hills. Also if you want to be near the bay or ocean.

I have family and friends in the Dandenongs and it is just beautiful. As PP said though, lots of upkeep due to all the trees and bushfire risk is a very real consideration. Overall its a bit more "hippy" up there so lots of yoga and vegan food (not like Nimbin or anything, just more alt than elsewhere). North of the mountain has some nice parts and the Yarra Valley is stunning with wineries etc. However you wouldn't want to commute into the actual city for on there.

Melbourne being a big city means that a lot of businesses have shifted their operations into well connected suburbs. This means more people commuting from nearby countryside.

We chose SW Gippsland for us. We can get to Pakenham/Cranbourne/Berwick in 25-35 min for work and shopping, so while it absolutely feels like we live in the country, we still feel connected. We like being a bit closer to the beach and the greenness of Gippsland.

If you like surf beaches the coast to the west of Melb is great and a lot of people commute to Geelong from there. (East surfing is good too but farther from big city-towns).

Honestly though, there are so many nice areas. I could keep going. Perhaps look at where the offices of some potential employers are and then see where is an easy commute from there?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

loodle  (31-10-2016)