+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2016 - Member you'd most like to meet
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Yet another sleep thread.

DS has only been asleep before 9.30 once in the last month. I am at the end of my rope. I have absolutely no time to do anything else in the evenings and it's making me furious.

Here are some things (may or may not be relevant):

The last night he slept at a decent hour was the night before the storms and power outage in SA.

He turned four two weeks ago.

He gave up his dummy cold turkey on his birthday.

Every night he has to get back out of bed and do a convoluted bedtime routine involving cuddles, at least one song, high 5s, kisses, knuckles etc.

He has toys in his bed because he is so awake at night.

Bed time is between 7.30 and 8. It used to be a firm 7 but I can't sit in his room for two or three hours a night every night without losing it.

He doesn't cry or anything. He's just awake until he's not. He can be exhausted at about 6.30 then wide awake as soon as I put him in bed. He doesn't cope if I'm not in the room, although I can go in and out a bit.

He doesn't nap and wakes up between 7 and 7.30 in the morning.

Once asleep he sleeps through almost every time.

I am rapidly losing patience and by this time in the evening I am so annoyed and snappy with him. Then I feel sad. I'm behind on my school work and housework and totally drowning without wind down time.

So...does anyone have any wisdom? Is this an age thing? A testosterone thing? Is it me? I thought I was finally free of the sleep stuff...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have no insight or any real advice, except I could suggest maybe getting some things done in between going in his room? Ie, go put a load of washing on, go back in, do the dishes, go back in etc? And tell him that he needs to stay in his bed quietly with a book or toy. Maybe he would fall asleep waiting for you to come back?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TaylorMade For This Useful Post:

harvs (30-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    DS has only been asleep before 9.30 once in the last month. I am at the end of my rope. I have absolutely no time to do anything else in the evenings and it's making me furious.

Here are some things (may or may not be relevant):

The last night he slept at a decent hour was the night before the storms and power outage in SA.

He turned four two weeks ago.

He gave up his dummy cold turkey on his birthday.

Every night he has to get back out of bed and do a convoluted bedtime routine involving cuddles, at least one song, high 5s, kisses, knuckles etc.

He has toys in his bed because he is so awake at night.

Bed time is between 7.30 and 8. It used to be a firm 7 but I can't sit in his room for two or three hours a night every night without losing it.

He doesn't cry or anything. He's just awake until he's not. He can be exhausted at about 6.30 then wide awake as soon as I put him in bed. He doesn't cope if I'm not in the room, although I can go in and out a bit.

He does and wakes up between 7 and 7.30 in the morning.

Once asleep he sleeps through almost every time.

I am rapidly losing patience and by this time in the evening I am so annoyed and snappy with him. Then I feel sad. I'm behind on my school work and housework and totally drowning without wind down time.

So...does anyone have any wisdom? Is this an age thing? A testosterone thing? Is it me? I thought I was finally free of the sleep stuff...
    I am no sleep expert, but if my kids have toys to play with in bed, they don't go to sleep. I'd let him have one thing to cuddle, but remove the toys.
    Stop repeating the routine every time he gets out of bed. He's 4, ask him before he goes to bed what he needs to go to bed...drink/toilet/story etc. When he calls out or gets out of bed keep directing him back to bed with an 'it's sleep time now, I'll see you in the morning.'
    It sounds like he is just wanting the attention from you. Perhaps you could strike him a deal...if he goes to sleep and lets you do your 'mummy jobs' you can do x in the morning. I know you work, but maybe it's reading his fave book together in his bed before he gets up for the day, or something else that won't take long, but gives him something to look forward to by being a big boy and going to sleep.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

harvs (30-10-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah (29-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Try these. Works on my 5yo. Available on iTunes IMG_1477740146.435592.jpg

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

harvs (30-10-2016),MrsSS (29-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Things I've used are stories on CD, mindfulness or other things that are a midway between me accepting they won't sleep and them accepting they don't get me until 9pm. He's definitely becoming old enough to understand that theres a trade off

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

harvs (30-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    And I agree no toys in bed. In our house at night bed is for reading and sleep only

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

harvs (30-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm with full house and Sonja. No toys in bed. Once in your bedroom you get two passes to exit for either a drink or toilet stop. Then that's it. Keep returning to bed with no other conversation other than it's bedtime.

You must be exhausted. It will be a awful few days but you need to be persistent and calm.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

harvs (30-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If your DS is 4, waking at 7am, having no day nap... Don't expect bed before 8pm or 8:30pm

If you need a break in the evening how about a Disney movie after dinner
    - bath 5
    - dinner 6
    - movie 6:30-8

15. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

harvs (30-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you should look at a paed get him overlooked completely.

Dd still sleeps 1.5 hours (some kids don't) I know. But he must be soo tired!!

Maybe his body is lacking something? Maybe u could try melatonin

17. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

harvs (30-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

My DS1 is the same with getting out of bed repeatedly for something, first it's to tell me something, then it's a drink of water, then a cuddle, then a wee, sometimes a poo.. It drives me insane! My boys have an 8pm bedtime and that works for me because i go to sleep late myself and I do the housework while they are still awake.. But I don't let this getting out of bed stuff go on for longer than 20 mins max. I think it's quite typical of the age, and it's not something that happens every night, but a LOT of nights and it's very annoying.

We usually have a bath, story book in bed and then lights out by 8. If either of the boys get out of bed, they get a stern warning. If it's to use the toilet, ok, but I don't let them have toys in bed or even a book in bed. And if I hear them talking louder than a whisper for more than 5 minutes I go in and tell them off. Usually with a warning that one of them will sleep in the spare room, which they both don't want. So it puts a stop to the shenanigans.. But you need to be strict, and definitely no toys in bed!

And if your DS is used to sleeping at 9pm, don't expect him to start falling asleep at 6.30.. Very unlikely that this will happen.

ETA - my boys at 5 and 3

19. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

harvs (30-10-2016)