ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I make random chit chat fairly often. I'm also in retail, so I guess maybe it comes naturally to me? Usually it's because I've happened to make eye contact with someone and I think it's weird to just not acknowledge that they are sharing the same space as you.

Usually I say something lighthearted about myself, not them. Eg "They really should have made me take a licence test before they let me have one of these" when trying unsuccessfully to steer a full shopping trolley to the car.

I would never say anything rude.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DH laughs at me becuase I can't even duck into the supermarket without making new friends Some people have resting b!tch face, I must have resting friendly face!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (28-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    50's and retro always make people comment.

After having kids lots of people talk to me now. I actually am no longer extremely uncomfortable making conversation with random person at the shop.

DH thinks its weird and tries to scurry off lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Mirabelle View Post
    I think it's important to read people. If you're not being rude and they seem fine with it and are participating enthusiastically in the conversation then it's fine. If someone is giving one word answers or not making eye contact I'd drop it. I get annoyed when I'm obviously not interested and the other person won't leave me alone.
    I think the reality is the people who would keep talking are the ones who wouldn't be able to read a person.

When I lived Melbourne my tram line was the 86 which had a lot of homeless and lonely people riding it. I used to talk to them a lot as it seemed to make them happy.

But I don't have social anxiety so it doesn't impact on me from that point of view.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (28-10-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (28-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As long as the random is being polite, then I'm happy to engage back. I think back to when I was on maternity leave with DS1 - we don't have any family and not many friends where we live, and I was so lonely/bored/starved for conversation during the day that even the little interactions with other people while doing grocery shopping felt like a relief.

I figure maybe some people who make idle chitchat may be feeling the same. If a random person is in need of some human interaction, then I'm happy to have a trivial (but polite and non-intrusive) chit-chat with them.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Gentoo For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (28-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't mind a bit of chit chat every now and then. Depends on my mood really. I've always worked in jobs where I've had customers (subway, retail, nursing/midwifery) so I'm used to chatting to people about random things. I just don't like it when it gets personal. I remember one day during our TTC journey I was buying pregnancy tests at the supermarket in my weekly shop. I'd thrown in a digital test for when I got that exciting second line. The checkout chick saw it and started asking me really personal questions - will this be your first, how long have you been trying etc and then going on and on about the digi test as she'd apparently not seen them before. My one word answers and non engaging clearly didn't translate to her and I felt so uncomfortable given I hadn't told many people in real life so why was I going to tell a random stranger. Plus I had people in the queue behind me. I actually made a complaint about it because of how intrusive it was. Talk to me about the weather, your day, my day, just don't talk to me about my reproductive abilities. I don't understand why people think they can ask such personal questions of a stranger!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Always get this when out.
    I am the type to smile and say "hello" but I keep moving.
    The "don't talk to strangers" thing is pretty instilled and usually I am with my kids and can hardly expect them to accept the rule if I do otherwise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    The "don't talk to strangers" thing is pretty instilled and usually I am with my kids and can hardly expect them to accept the rule if I do otherwise.
    I agree with this. It's one of the reasons I don't like my mum taking my kids out too much. I try to instill in them the 'don't talk to strangers' message and then she takes DD out to the shops and they're making friends with every random person they meet.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

DT75  (28-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Mirabelle View Post
    I agree with this. It's one of the reasons I don't like my mum taking my kids out too much. I try to instill in them the 'don't talk to strangers' message and then she takes DD out to the shops and they're making friends with every random person they meet.
    Yeah, H does the same, especially with bubba. Someone will say "she is so cute" and he will strike up a convo, telling them her name age etc. I say, "thank you" and smile and walk away.
    If the other two are with us he introduces them to and makes them answer...

I find it really wrong.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

Mama Mirabelle  (28-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have twins so there is NEVER a time I go in public without being stopped and spoken to. But....it's rarely been a problem for me. In fact when they were babies and i was home with them all day, going for a walk meant i always got to chat to adults! Someone...usually lots of people....would stop and chat about the bubs. It is less now that they are walking with me and not in the pram and it actually feels very odd to me recently not to be spoken to when I'm shopping because it's less noticeable. The only time it really bothered me was when a middle aged couple stood in front of us at the xmas pageant and fired a million twin questions at us when we were trying to see around them to see the floats. Then they pulled out a camera and wanted pictures!! That was a bit full on. Ha! But i get a bit annoyed at other twin parents who whinge about being stopped. It's always people being nice and being interested so there is no harm in it.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to NAT2561 For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (28-10-2016)