+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Expat overseas but want to come home to Perth to give birth- where to start?

I'm from Perth but currently an expat wife in Africa. Earlier this year I had a stillbirth at 39 weeks after a uterine rupture, where I almost died from blood loss also. Since then I've had 3 IVF attempts and am now very early and cautiously pregnant. So as you can imagine I will not even consider staying here to give birth, and want to return to Perth for the last trimester or so.

I'm just not sure how the process works in Perth. I have a daughter who was born in the Middle East, and both there and in Africa you just contact a doctor directly and make an appointment. In Perth do I have to go through a GP first and they recommend an ob/gyn? Obviously I am now considered a high risk pregnancy so I don't just want any doctor, I would much prefer to go with obstetrician who specializes in high risk pregnancies. I will be back in January for a visit so would like to arrange an appointment.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes you can ask your GP to refer you to an OB. You can make an appointment with the OB of your choice before getting the GP referral, in fact I'd recommend this because the good ones book out quickly so the sooner you can arrange that appointment the better. Your other option, given that you are high risk, is to be referred (via your GP again) to King Edward Memorial Hospital. They only take high risk mums and those within a very small intake zone.

I'd try get in with Craig Pennell, as far as I know he is the best high risk OB in Perth. Plus I believe he's also works at KEMH as well as privately so whether you go the private or public hospital route, he'll still be your doctor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Besha.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd check out Medicare early too. Do you still have a card? If not, i think it might take a little while to be eligible again (residency maybe?) I'm not sure, but might be worthwhile looking into sooner rather than later.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been in the UK as an expat for most of this year and just returned to Perth a few weeks ago to see out the remainder of my pregnancy. As others have said, good OB's book out very quickly. As soon as I knew I was pregnant I contacted the OB I wanted then completed the paperwork to get myself registered with her. Any blood work and scans etc I had in the uk I sent copies to her office via email. Then when I got back to Perth I got a GP appointment for a referral (needed for the rebate) and took it along with me to my first appointment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Medicare should be ok, I think. I hadn't really thought about it as my insurance is quite comprehensive, but does Medicare cover any part of the care under a private ob/gyn?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Expat overseas but want to come home to Perth to give birth- where to start?

Medicare will cover only a small portion of your gap bill from from ob. Although I'm in SA my ob was $2500 and I got back $400 of that then you add all the other extras you need for a private birth. Epidural if you want one, paediatrician etc

With Medicare don't tell them you live O/S permanently though as technically you aren't eligible if you don't live here every year for 2 months of the year. They can cut you off if that's the case if they find out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    I'd check out Medicare early too. Do you still have a card? If not, i think it might take a little while to be eligible again (residency maybe?) I'm not sure, but might be worthwhile looking into sooner rather than later.

Good luck!
    My mum recently moved back from overseas.

If your Medicare has lapsed then you have to prove you have moved back to Australia. As in stat decs, receipts/flights etc.

So you will have to specifically rely on private health insurance but still be out of pocket. Check your private health for what they cover for non residents of Australia.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm seeing Prof. Craig Pennell - he only deals with high risk pregnancies and delivers at King Edward Memorial Hospital - he's got a great reputation.

His secretary and midwife communicate a lot with me via email so that would be good for you.

I recommend calling if you're interested: +61 89381 8233

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just contacted the office of Prof Pennell and he is apparently completely booked up for June next year. I don't really understand how this is possible already.