+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 2 embryos or 1 - thoughts?

Hi Everyone,

We have 2 frozen embryos left. The first fresh cycle was a biochemical, first frozen a bfn. With the two left I am thinking what's the difference between putting 2 in over 1?

I am 40, my FS says that I have a 1 in 5 embryo chance of a live birth at my age. My thinking is that we have/had 4 embryos. Statistically speaking none of them could be a live birth. This gets me to choices for the third try, I think well it's a lot of money and statistically speaking neither embryo might stick. Am I right in thinking that transferring 2 does not inhibit the chances of 1 implanting? I just feel it's a waste doing 2 cycles when 1 cycle with 2 embryos may well give us nothing. Thoughts anyone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingerlion View Post
    Hi Everyone,

We have 2 frozen embryos left. The first fresh cycle was a biochemical, first frozen a bfn. With the two left I am thinking what's the difference between putting 2 in over 1?

I am 40, my FS says that I have a 1 in 5 embryo chance of a live birth at my age. My thinking is that we have/had 4 embryos. Statistically speaking none of them could be a live birth. This gets me to choices for the third try, I think well it's a lot of money and statistically speaking neither embryo might stick. Am I right in thinking that transferring 2 does not inhibit the chances of 1 implanting? I just feel it's a waste doing 2 cycles when 1 cycle with 2 embryos may well give us nothing. Thoughts anyone?
    I'm 42 and did 4 rounds of IVF before moving on to donor eggs. As I was a poor responder I never had the option of two embies to transfer at the same time BUT if I had, I would have done that. Yes, the risks are higher with twin pregnancies but in all honestly, I'd be saving my money for The Next Step (whatever that might be) and putting the last two in together.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

Gingerlion  (27-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think the stats are that you have the same overall chance of pregnancy doing one cycle with double transfer or two single transfers.

Two singles obviously costs more, but doubles have a risk of twins. I'd ask your FS what they think your risk of multiples is, at 40 I think it's very low. Most FS would be happy to do double transfers in your situation I would think, especially now you have had two failed transfers. (Unless like me you have other medical issues that would make twins an absolute no-no).

Good luck with your next FET!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Flower78 For This Useful Post:

Gingerlion  (27-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm in the same position and age as you @Gingerlion and I agree with blossom74 - saving for the next step! I agree flowers78 too with low poss of twins. I have one frostie and going in for EPU on Saturday. If there's more then 1 that makes it to blast, I'm going to put two back in and then have whatever's left out in next cycle. I probably won't have more than two blasts at my rate!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Phia For This Useful Post:

Gingerlion  (27-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Flower78. My nurse keeps telling me that we have a high rate of multiples in my age group but I'm inclined to not listen to that as the overall rate of live baby is so low. I think I'm going for 2 blasts. Saves money and likelihood of success is low anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Flower78 View Post
    I think the stats are that you have the same overall chance of pregnancy doing one cycle with double transfer or two single transfers.

Two singles obviously costs more, but doubles have a risk of twins. I'd ask your FS what they think your risk of multiples is, at 40 I think it's very low. Most FS would be happy to do double transfers in your situation I would think, especially now you have had two failed transfers. (Unless like me you have other medical issues that would make twins an absolute no-no).

Good luck with your next FET!

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Phia good luck with your EPU

Quote Originally Posted by Phia View Post
    I'm in the same position and age as you @Gingerlion and I agree with blossom74 - saving for the next step! I agree flowers78 too with low poss of twins. I have one frostie and going in for EPU on Saturday. If there's more then 1 that makes it to blast, I'm going to put two back in and then have whatever's left out in next cycle. I probably won't have more than two blasts at my rate!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gingerlion For This Useful Post:

Phia  (27-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    Yep...at your age the chances of twins using your OE's (own eggs) are very low Luv, so I'd be putting them both back in if it were me

The live birth rate at 40 years old using your OE's is around the 11% rate per Cycle which is virtually a 90% failure rate every time you Cycle and transfer an embryo which is why for the last 2 Cycles I did, you will see that I transferred 3 embryo's both times as the chances of me having triplets were slim to none and the chances of twins were low.

It was a calculated risk I/we took and as you will see, the first time I got a BFN, the second time, I got a BFP with a singleton. In my time here on BH, I have only heard of maybe less than 5 women who have transferred 2 OE embryo's who were 40+ who ended up with both embryo's implanting.

So while there's always that risk, at this age, that risk is really very, very small. Wishing you the best of luck with your next transfer whichever way you decide to go!!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BlondeinBrisvegas For This Useful Post:

Gingerlion  (27-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If you would stim again straight away with your own eggs I would do double transfer, you're racing the clock. If there is no back up plan and this is it I would do a double transfer.

My sister did doubles and you just churn through the dud embryos quicker. But if the lining isn't right or conditions aren't right then you're wasting two instead of one.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Gingerlion  (28-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was 40 and did 2 embryos (fresh though..not frozen). One split and one didn't progress far. So i have identical twins. Twins is a VERY real possibility no matter what your history and triplets are also a chance...as we came very close to finding out. For us it was a conscious choice and we were/are very happy to have the twins (with twins already in the family we had a fair idea of what to expect). Smooth sailing with my pregnancy etc and our girls are now 3 and wonderful. Just always be aware that twins should be seriously considered in this circumstance no matter how unlikely it seems it is. And discuss what you believe you might do if it happened to result in triplet pregnancy. You just never know

16. The Following User Says Thank You to NAT2561 For This Useful Post:

Gingerlion  (28-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks @wiseenough and @NAT2561 both useful posts. The conditions seem to be OK the only thing I worry about is a badly adhesioned tube that has been tested and is open. The plan would be to stim straight away if the transfer didn't work, that would be the last stim. We said we'd do 1 year of IVF and stop. Fully aware I am running out of time. I'd have done a back to back medicated frozen but my brain isn't handling the drugs well and I need a break! sigh.

On the twins thing, they also run in my family but non-identical. We are prepared for twins but not triplets. My goodness that would be full on!
    Last edited by Gingerlion; 28-10-2016 at 16:42.