+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Pet dog euthanasia. Need advice.

Sadly our 11yr old fur baby is very sick and will need to be put to sleep very soon.
    My boys Ds1&2 are 7yrs and 4.5yrs old so have grown up with our doggy.
    I'm wondering if it's best to have the vet come to our house to euthanise the dog (and we bury him (he is a big dog too) or we bring our dog to the vet and say bye to him there.
    Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I will just tag @amyd as she has lots of good advice.

I have hugs.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I had to do this this year as our dog was very old and quite sick

we ended up taking him to the vet when DD was at school. It was really hard on me, I cant imagine how hard it would have been for her ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If it was me, I'd want the vet to come to our home if possible. That way he could be relaxed, on his own blankie or pillow, where he feels safe and comforted. No matter which way you do its not easy

Thanks
    Reviews
    I much prefer at home if he will be staying at your house.
    Will you have the boys with you? It's your choice but I just wanted to say kids of that age are normally very accepting and good at euthanasia's. Other benefit is if you are at home they can stay for as much or as little as they want.

I'm a vet and more than happy to answer questions.

Although your dog is 'just a pet' to some he is your family and kids will sometimes need a day off school.

Do you have a regular vet? If you don't I would suggest looking at specified 'home-euthanasia' services. They will have everything they need, used to doing house calls and you should be able to be confident that they will be good with the kids.

Huge hugs, it's a hard decision to have to make.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry, forgot to say - you may need to check with council if you are allowed to bury at home. In some areas you aren't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I remember having our family dog put to sleep when I was a teenager. We had the vet come to our house and I stayed with him throughout (everyone else was too upset. I couldn't leave him alone). Personally, I would prefer to have the vet come to us so that the dog is as comfortable as possible. However, I don't think I'd do it while our kids were home (DD 6 years old, DS 3.5).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We're putting one of our dogs to sleep tomorrow. MIL is coming to look after the girls while we take Josie and be with her, then we're leaving her there. The idea of having her body at home is too much for us, after having to say goodbye digging the hole and burying her would be more than we could handle.
    I think if keeping your boys close to him and keeping him with you is important to you, having the vet out is a nice idea. It's one of those things that's individual to the family I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all so much.

So it might be better for the boys not to be home (or come to the vet?) It might be too hard for them to see happen?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    Thank you all so much.

So it might be better for the boys not to be home (or come to the vet?) It might be too hard for them to see happen?
    I've never had a problem with kids being present. Some of that may be because I talk to them as well as the parents and get them to tell me their best memories.