Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If the dog had attacked a person it would be a different story. It would be hard to find a dog that wouldn't want to chase a cat or a rabbit. Catching and killing a small animal does not mean the dog will suddenly start attacking people.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chippa For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (26-10-2016),HillDweller  (26-10-2016),Sonja  (26-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to had to witness that!
    You are NOT at fault!!
    The cat came into your yard.
    If you feel really bad about it, flowers are a nice gesture - something I would do.
    There is no basis for a civil claim imo, your dogs can't be killed etc, only if it was an attack on a human, and it happened on your property so not sure if that's the absolute case anyways.
    I understand you feel bad, but your dogs were being dogs, and following their instincts. Not. Your. Fault

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wanted to say that personally as a cat lover and dog hater, I wouldn't blame the dog owner if my cat went into their yard and was killed. We have dogs as neighbours that I know would kill my cats but I would never place blame on the dog or owner. R.i.p little kitty.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AngelicHobgoblin For This Useful Post:

Reina83  (27-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Woah dudes!! This has exploded.

As I said in the OP... I was able to stop my dog after a few seconds. Please check the OP.

The bat is one of those really soft foam kids bats, I grabbed it out of instinct, I didn't try to call her off first... I was just going on my own instincts.

Shouldn't be feeling the need to defend myself, but I will anyway...

Retired/Rescue Greyhounds go through stringent and vigorous assessment before they are allowed to be rehomed. She passed her assessments with no issues, wears a green collar because of this and we have been provided with permission to have her without muzzle in public (we have an ID card we carry around). She is great on lead walking and will never have a go at any animal in passing. We have chooks/budgies and she has never attacked them. The Dog and Cat Board here do not permit Greyhounds to be off lead in public and we have followed that to a tee in the 3.5 yrs we've had her - never once has she been off lead in public.

She is docile, assessed as kid friendly and lived up to that. I would never mess with my children's safety. We have actually rehomed a beloved dog who became 'growly' around our kids in her old age before. Didn't think twice about that.

Our fences are 6 foot high and were the first thing we checked in the 3 years we have live here. Our neighbours have free-ranging chooks, so (upon moving in) we have dug in thick sleepers along the complete line of the fence, so they have no chance of digging under (not digging dogs anyway). They have never once escaped the yard.

I never leave my kids unattended with the dogs. My dogs go behind the gate in the garage, if the kids are outside playing without me. I am aware that even the nicest of dogs could have the potential to snap at a child.

Hope that clears that all up....!!
    Last edited by WarriorMama; 26-10-2016 at 10:06.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to WarriorMama For This Useful Post:

amyd  (26-10-2016),Chippa  (26-10-2016),Clementine Grace  (26-10-2016),Full House  (26-10-2016),HollyGolightly81  (26-10-2016),Radio  (26-10-2016),Summer  (26-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for the advice and love. Having MIL pop in for a cuppa last night really helped. And we are still planning to send hubby over this evening with flowers and a card. We are decent people. We ALSO loved that cat, as I have said in previous posts... it used to visit us in our front yard.
    Last edited by WarriorMama; 26-10-2016 at 10:04.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WarriorMama For This Useful Post:

Full House  (26-10-2016),VicPark  (26-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    This is my only concern. I don't care what breed of dog people have if you have staffs, pit bull or whatever. We go shooting with our dogs. And if our dog didn't have formal commands and needed to be hit with a BAT that's my main concern. Not the fact it's a grey hound. I'll also add @Full House we have German short haired pointers
    My dog has great commands, but is a breed well known for ignoring all commands when hunting...as the drive takes over. I know that if my dog (who can sit, stay, come, lie down, roll over, stop, wait, high five, beg and go to bed on command in calm, controlled environments), was chasing a small animal none of those commands would work because the hunting drive takes over. As a result we have a beautiful friendly dog who is kept in a secure yard, we don't own small pets ourselves to eliminate accidental risks, and only off lead in designated leash free areas that are not near houses etc where a cat may be. However, if a cat comes in to my yard, it will want to run fast. It doesn't mean my dog is aggressive, though. It means that the breed of dog we have has a strong hunting gene that hasn't been able to bred out over the years.
    Greyhounds go through extensive training to become a 'greenhound.' I don't own a greyhound but have done some research on the process from racing greyhound to family pet greenhound.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

amyd  (26-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WarriorMama View Post
    Thank you for the advice and love. Having MIL pop in for a cuppa last night really helped. And we are still planning to send hubby over this evening with flowers and a card. We are decent people. We ALSO loved that cat, as I have said in previous posts... it used to visit us in our front yard.
    Terrible incident for you to have to witness and not your fault at all. Very lovely of you to be so kind towards the owners too, I'd probably go and let them know sooner than later though? If it happened last night they might be frantically looking for the cat. I'd be devastated if something like this happened to one of my cats but I wouldn't blame the dog, it's one of the reason mine are mostly indoors.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (26-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    Terrible incident for you to have to witness and not your fault at all. Very lovely of you to be so kind towards the owners too, I'd probably go and let them know sooner than later though? If it happened last night they might be frantically looking for the cat. I'd be devastated if something like this happened to one of my cats but I wouldn't blame the dog, it's one of the reason mine are mostly indoors.
    I'm pretty sure neighbours know and were there after it happened.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Happymum2 View Post
    I'm pretty sure neighbours know and were there after it happened.
    Oh sorry reading on the run. That's good then.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (26-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    The same could be said about cats - yet we do not put down every cat that catches, mauls and kills a mouse.

There are dogs that are not well suited to being matched with small animals - greyhounds being one of them.

It does not mean there is a danger to people or kids. Even if they show 'aggression' to a small animal.
    Oh come on. When was the last time a cat killed a child.

I stand by what I said - people are kidding themselves if they think a dog that can not be stopped by it's owner from killing a small animal (despite it being hit over the head with a bat) is not a danger to a small child.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

AngelicHobgoblin  (26-10-2016)