ADVERTISEMENT

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Completely agree. We have a jack Russell who is the most ridiculously placid and child loving animal I know. Yet I've watched it tear a lizard to shreds when it was younger. So it's never allowed off leash in reserves and no way on earth we're ever getting a cat.

I'm so sorry this happened. Our next pets will be retired greyhounds. I agree with the others a card and flowers.
    Yep my Jack Russell broke through the wire of our guinea pig cage (when I was a kid) and killed 4 piggies 😢. Was devastating but not unexpected with a "ratting" breed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    If it was me personally I would be rehoming the grey hound but that's just my opinion. It's tastes blood again. I wouldn't want the dog around the kids. I'm extremely wary of dogs and kids and we have dogs and young children.
    There's no truth to the myth that once a dog "tastes blood" they'll do something like that again. Also, a dog being animal aggressive or having a high prey drive, in no way means they will automatically be people aggressive. (Just to add I'm probably the most paranoid person ever when it comes to dogs and kids, but dog on animal aggression does not equal dog on human aggression).

OP I'm so sorry you had to go through this, it's a horrible situation. I've been in the situation not long ago where my cat was killed by dogs. In my case the dogs came into my yard and pulled my cat out of her bed. Obviously I was furious with the dogs owner because they were the ones roaming, but still, their owner admitted they were her dogs and was very apologetic. She asked me what she could do to help and offered to do anything she could to stop that sort of ting happening again. I accepted that was all she could do.

Her dogs did not get put down (and I certainly wouldn't have wanted them to), I did hand them to the ranger because I had no idea who they belonged to at the time and she was fined, but her dogs were returned. I don't believe you or your dog will be in any trouble as your dog was properly contained in your yard.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HillDweller For This Useful Post:

besha  (26-10-2016),HollyGolightly81  (26-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HillDweller View Post
    There's no truth to the myth that once a dog "tastes blood" they'll do something like that again. Also, a dog being animal aggressive or having a high prey drive, in no way means they will automatically be people aggressive. (Just to add I'm probably the most paranoid person ever when it comes to dogs and kids, but dog on animal aggression does not equal dog on human aggression).
    Oops meant to quote not thank! But I absolutely agree with the above. We have a husky and she is the most beautifully natured dog you could ever meet. So friendly, wants everyone to pat her, will go to anyone. So good with kids, will let them do anything to her. And other big dogs, no issues whatsoever. But I absolutely 100% would not trust her with a smaller animal. She's got a very high prey drive. Frogs, mice, rats and blue tongue lizards have all come off second best and she can be aggressive towards smaller dogs. We never let her off lead, and we have a cat who is strictly indoors only, there's no way I'd ever let him outside with her. So it's absolutely possible that a dog who can be aggressive to other animals is fine with humans.

OP I'm sorry this happened. I can't add much to what the others have already said - but it's not your fault, it's no one's fault. Just an awful accident I hope your little one is ok. Kids are often more resilient than we give them credit for, so hopefully all will be alright. Flowers for your neighbour are a nice gesture.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to besha For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (26-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would like to make a.kind gesture to those saying that they would re-home the dog to take 10 minutes and actually learn about greyhounds. I understand that the advice is well meaning, but it comes from a place of obvious naivety and is really unhelpful. Google greenhounds. There js a great ten minute video that explains everything really well. I get it...I have put a dog down who had aggressive tendencies to ensure no one got hurt...but this is not what this is.
    OP, please don't doubt your dog's nature after reading these posts. The fact your dog chased and caught a cat does not mean it's untrustworthy around children. It means it's a greyhound and doing what greyhounds do. The cat came in to your yard. It's not yours or your dog's fault.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

besha  (26-10-2016),Chippa  (26-10-2016),HillDweller  (26-10-2016),Tdez  (26-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    I would like to make a.kind gesture to those saying that they would re-home the dog to take 10 minutes and actually learn about greyhounds. I understand that the advice is well meaning, but it comes from a place of obvious naivety and is really unhelpful. Google greenhounds. There js a great ten minute video that explains everything really well. I get it...I have put a dog down who had aggressive tendencies to ensure no one got hurt...but this is not what this is.
    OP, please don't doubt your dog's nature after reading these posts. The fact your dog chased and caught a cat does not mean it's untrustworthy around children. It means it's a greyhound and doing what greyhounds do. The cat came in to your yard. It's not yours or your dog's fault.
    It sounds like you are biased towards greyhounds. I would say you are being naive if you think an owner (who has a small child) being unable to stop their dog while it is mauling another animal to death is nothing to be concerned about.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (26-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    It sounds like you are biased towards greyhounds. I would say you are being naive if you think an owner (who has a small child) being unable to stop their dog while it is mauling another animal to death is nothing to be concerned about.
    I'm not biased towards greyhounds at all. It's very clear you don't know what you're talking about, though.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

amyd  (26-10-2016),HillDweller  (26-10-2016),HollyGolightly81  (26-10-2016),Jast  (26-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This is my only concern. I don't care what breed of dog people have if you have staffs, pit bull or whatever. We go shooting with our dogs. And if our dog didn't have formal commands and needed to be hit with a BAT that's my main concern. Not the fact it's a grey hound. I'll also add @Full House we have German short haired pointers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The same could be said about cats - yet we do not put down every cat that catches, mauls and kills a mouse.

There are dogs that are not well suited to being matched with small animals - greyhounds being one of them.

It does not mean there is a danger to people or kids. Even if they show 'aggression' to a small animal.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (26-10-2016),HollyGolightly81  (26-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help! Altercation with my dog... (sensitive)

OP I'm so sorry this happened to you and I can fully understand where you're coming from as this happened to us also. Our neighbours had a beautiful pet rabbit that they would let out of its cage. One day the rabbit dug a small hole under the fence and made its way through. Needless to say it didn't last long in my yard with my red cattle dogs. We felt awful as well as it was the teenage daughter's pet. We apologised but there wasn't much we could do. Our dogs have no way of getting out of our yard and the owner of the rabbit acknowledged they shouldn't have let it out.

As to the PPs who said they would rehome the dog. That was never ever a consideration for us. We knew exactly what our dogs were like around our children and had no concerns about their safety. Those dogs have chased and caught wild rabbits out on our property. Big difference between a small fleeing animal and a child that's always been around a dog. FWIW we had both of those dogs until we had to put the male to sleep aged 16 and we recently lost the other who died at home aged 13. Never harmed a hair on any of my 3 boy's heads.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chippa For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (26-10-2016),HillDweller  (26-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help! Altercation with my dog... (sensitive)

Op, I'm very sorry this has happened. I would send hubby over with a nice potted plant and a card.

We have a 12 month old border collie. When we got him (8 weeks old) we also had our chooks roaming around our yard. He instinctively would try to round them up even from such a young age. When he was about 6 months old he actually caught one and killed it, it was very distressing for all of us. From that point on we have fence off a section of our yard for our chooks to roam in and all has been fine since. I know it's not the same as what you have been through but I just wanted to say we never once thought to re-home him and never once thought he would hurt our children or anyone for that matter. Dogs have instincts and when they are breed for certain reasons, you can't expect that to just disappear when they are not in that environment. It doesn't mean they would act that way towards a child.
    Last edited by Happymum2; 26-10-2016 at 11:36.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Happymum2 For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (26-10-2016)