+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post

Unless you randomly pull scrabble letters out of a bag, chances are you'll run into other kids with the same name.
    Hahahaha this can be our last minute we-still-haven't-agreed-on-a-name-and-baby-is-five-months-old strategy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post

Unless you randomly pull scrabble letters out of a bag, chances are you'll run into other kids with the same name.
    I haven't come across another Albert! Well other than that stupid Commonwealth Bank EFTPOS / payment system

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoopuf View Post
    It's well and truly bottom half. I am having trouble conceptualising just how many kids would have to be given the same name that year in order to make it onto the list. I wish they told you numbers as well as rankings lol.
    hi - sorry for dropping in but I just wanted to post this link to our own article which does show the top 100 with actual numbers as well as rankings. Hope this helps! This is the current list from all the babies born in 2015.

http://www.bubhub.com.au/hubbub-blog...ustralia-2015/

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BH-editor For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (26-10-2016),faithandhopellove  (26-10-2016),Shoopuf  (26-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know a few Alberts but it's a family name. So my uncle, grandad, cousins, etc

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (26-10-2016),Shoopuf  (27-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    I haven't come across another Albert! Well other than that stupid Commonwealth Bank EFTPOS / payment system
    I have a friend with 3 kids. Their youngest 2 are Alice and Albert! I've often thought of them when I see your A-squared name pop up.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GirlsRock For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (26-10-2016),Shoopuf  (27-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have an Aunty with a name that was unheard of when she was little...now it's a top ten name and has been for years. I have a very unusual name for an Australian....but it may as well be the number 1 name for the last 30 years it's so popular in another country. If I went to live there, I'd be one of many in my workplace etc.
    No one knows where their child's path will take them. If you love a popular name, use it. At the end of the day you don't know where life will take your child. If you're concerned, give them a less common middle name they can use if they do end up being one of 2 or 3 in a year.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (27-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    It also depends on where you live I reckon.

My daughter is in year 2 at the local public school. There are two year 2 classes at the school (45 students) and there are 4 or 5 Mohammeds in year 2 and three in my daughter's class.

At my school, we have four Caitlins in the year 1/2 classes but they are spelt differently.
    This is 100% right. If you're an inner city hipster who is keen on calling their baby boy Claude, chances are that even though it is no where near the top 100, if you find that name appealing then other people of your ilk will also, increasing the likelihood that little Claude may find himself in a class with another Claude.

The year my daughter was born I gave her a name that was number 75 on the top 100 list. She went on to be in a gymbaroo class with another girl that had the same name. It's pot luck really. If you love the name then popularity - especially if it's towards the back end of top 50 - shouldn't be a deciding factor IMO.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GingerKat For This Useful Post:

delirium  (26-10-2016),Shoopuf  (27-10-2016)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    My ds's names were not on any list when we chose them.. They both are now, especially ds1: I know a LOT of younger boys sharing his name.
    When I was pg with dd we chose her name then I discovered she was number 2 on the list- I implored dh to change his mind but he stuck to his guns. I was so worried she would forever be known as Firstname H. But, 3 years later and sharing daycare with around 100 kids she is the only one there with that name so far. I'll get back to you when she starts school

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (27-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both of my kids names are common with older generations in particular.

DD's name was 48th the year she was born. She has another one in her dance class and we've come across another couple her age in passing. None at daycare or preschool.

DS's name was 43rd the year he was born. There's another one a year younger in daycare and there was another in my DIG who used the same name. We've come across tge name quite a few times because of a famous person also using the name

I'd avoid a top 10 name unless I loved loved loved it and DH and I couldnt agree on anything else. But I know that it just depends on the cohort and even with a less common name.you still might end up with another in the class

16. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (27-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I never thought about the top 100 names but DH and I had our own criteria. We are both teachers, and agreed that we didn't want to name our kids a name of any child we'd ever taught. We wanted our child to just be them - not anyone else (even a good kid!). Clearly this narrowed things considerably.

The result: neither of our kids have a top 100 name. Haven't met another child with their names yet either.

Ultimately, you need to choose a name you love. That's the bottom line IMO.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to teenie For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (27-10-2016)