ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    The difficulty with ditching the dummy is every child responds differently. I have had 2 dummy babies and when we ditched them it was done very differently for both. Different ages, different methods and different responses.

Good luck to all those embarking on it and expect a few difficult bedtimes for a week or so while they adapt. The main problem we had was early waking as the dummy often helped them push on to 7am. In the end we used no tricks or bribes. But our kids were a bit older.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @harvs I've been thinking we need a dummy fairy visit to our place for a while!

DS1 finished with his dummy around 2.5-3yrs old. He was chewing them in his sleep until they literally fell apart so it was too dangerous to keep them on him as I didn't want him to swallow bits of rubber. Which he may well have done. He didn't protest at all when we took them away.

DS2 (turning 3 in a couple of weeks) is extremely attached to his dummies! He usually wants to sleep with at least 3, one for his mouth and one in each hand. He started toilet training recently and has been amazing with that - no accidents after 2 weeks and now he doesn't even wear a night nappy. I thought given how quickly he gave up nappies, the dummy would be a breeze, but no.. He wants his dummy all the time. He has an unfortunate dummy accident twice, where it fell into the toilet while he was doing a poo, so those dummies have gone to the bin. Others he has lost at childcare so he only has one left and once that falls in the toilet or gets lost, it's all over. I've told him he isn't getting another one. He will happily put it under his pillow until rest time, so I think a dummy fairy visit might work for him.. But given how much comfort it gives him, I might just wait a little while longer and see what happens.

Mamasupial, if I were you, I would wait a bit longer. I never found putting a time limit on things like this were helpful with my kids. Mine have responded so much better to change when it was a change they were ready for.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

Minniemin  (09-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I spoke to her childcare this morning and they agree I should wait.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (25-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    With my DD1 we waited till 2.9 but after 2 she was only allowed the dummy in bed or on a long car ride (we often travelled )
    I had a little drawstring bag tied to her bedhead and carseat that she put the dummies in.

At 2.9 she was asking to go to ballet continuously, i told her yes she could but only big girls without dummies could do ballet. I spoke to the teacher first who agreed to facilitate the dummy collection and disposal.
    dD happily handed over the dummies in exchange for ballet shoes.
    She only asked about them a few times and was reminded she was a ballerina now and didnt need dummies

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS loved them too.
    We waited until he was closer to 3. He was only having it for naps and night time.
    I didn't like the idea of taking something from him and not knowing he was understanding why. We did it cold turkey and he did cry a bit, but he took it better than I thought he would. Probably only half an hour to calm down the first time we took it away. And after about 2-3 days he wasn't even asking anymore.
    Just remember to scour the house for any random ones, in case she sees one after all the hard work you put in

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I just got rid of Ds2's dummy at 2 years and 4 months. He was addicted and had it constantly in his mouth. DS1 had a dummy until 3 years 7 months. It was easier and quicker to get rid of it with DS1, I think because he was much older. I think DS2 was a bit young still, but it was becoming such a bad habit I had to ditch it. We have been dummy free for 3 weeks now. He has just recently stopped asking for it!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lilahh For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (15-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got rid of my DS's dummy just before Xmas. He was 2 yrs 6 months. He had been good at only having it while sleeping but was beginning to want it more and more and it was driving me insane. DH cut the end off his dummy and then we gave him a tractor that was given to him as a late bday present, we had it in the cupboard as he was given so much for his bday. Anyway, he took a couple of hours to go to sleep the first night and was upset. We kept reminding him the dummy was broken and that he had a tractor now and then he was fine. He occasionally asked for it for about a week after but it didn't stop him sleeping at all. I was shocked at how easy it was!

Thanks
    Reviews
    As others have said, every child is different, but this is what worked for us:
    DS1 was a reflux baby and had had his dummy from day 3. VERY attached. DS2 arrived 12 months later and we just let things continue. When DS1 was 2.5, so just after Christmas, we started limiting his dummy to sleep times only and we were really strict with this. It took a little while. But by February, he was pretty good with a dummy for his daytime nap (which he didn't have most days by then anyway) and at night. Then we started dropping the dummy for day sleeps as well. As Easter approached we started the story - the Easter bunny is coming to visit soon. She's going to take your dummies for her baby bunnies, and she's going to leave you some yummy chocolates instead! We repeated this alllll the time, and if people questioned him about the Easter bunny, he would tell them that she was going to take his dummy but leave lots of chocolates. 4 months of prep really paid off for us. DS1 was super excited about the chocolate and really did settle quite well without his dummy (given it was Easter too, we ran him ragged, skipped the daytime naps and he was out like a light for a couple of nights). Not sure if this will work, but it did for us.

And when we did his night time bottle on his fourth birthday, we kind of did he same thing - a couple of months of prep, telling him that big four year olds didn't have bottles any more. My entire family, especially the adored bachelor Uncles, reinforced this and DS1 did it, with only a few quiet requests when we quickly reminded him what a super big boy he was now, and he went off to sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Forgot to come back and update. We got rid of the dummy almost 2 weeks ago. Didn't do anything special, just said she's a big girl and doesn't need it anymore. If she feels sad she's got her bunny and of course me.