+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week

Default Ditching the dummy, WWYD

So DD1 has a dummy. She uses it for sleep, in the car and to help her calm down. She turned 2 a month ago.

I originally said I would ditch the dummy when she finished teething. Well she got the last of her teeth a week or so before DD2 was born so I didn't ditch it as I thought too much change would be upsetting for her.

DD2 is 2 months old now and lately DD1's sensory sensitivities have gotten worse. I'm not sure if I should let her keep the dummy a while longer incase she settles down or just bite the bullet.

WWYD? (Tips on how to ditch it would be great too).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subbing. DS is addicted

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Olive Oil For This Useful Post:

Minniemin  (24-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Olive Oil View Post
    Subbing. DS is addicted
    I asked her if she wanted to put it in the bin. She of course said no.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have no ideas to help get rid of the dummy but if it were me I would wait a bit. If it is her comfort for a few things (rather than 24/7 I'd give it another 6 months or so and then try it.

I have not had a child who took to a dummy but my experience is more weaning my DS from breastfeeding (which he used a lot for comfort).

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2016 - Member you'd most like to meet
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I just did this. I told DS when he turned 4 he was a too old for dummies and he had to give his to the dummy fairy for other little boys and girls. We left his dummies by the front door before we left for the day, then I raced home and ditched them and left a couple of little presents for him.

He's gone cold turkey with no issues. And he was a fully fledged addict. I'm actually glad I waited so long because it was easier than I expected, even though I secretly hate myself for the dummy fairy thing :-p

7. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (25-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    DS just ditched his dummy about a week ago. We started by asking him to hand it back to us after each waking. We then occasionally started putting him down for day naps without it. Kind of a if he doesn't ask, we won't mention it situation.

Despite Dd arriving only 2 weeks ago, DP was adamant he needed to be rid of it as he is 2.5 now and is a big boy. I thought it was too much change also.

DP then stopped giving it at night and only gave in once on a particularly hysterical bedtime. He's not had it at all for about a week and rarely even asks for it.

It's tricky and I think you have to judge it for yourself and your little one. Good luck though, they bloody love those plastic things!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS was an addict too...
    He hated the dummy when it was deflated from getting a hole in it...Once I decided that was it, I got rid of all but 2 dummies ( he had them stashed everywhere! ) and put a pin pick in it
    I told him "oh no its broken, none left!"..He kept trying to suck it but it want right...He wasn't impressed and the first night was restless but not awful. He carried them around for a couple weeks and took them to bed to hold but pretty quickly list them and it was all over...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    When she wakes up in the morning she leaves her dummy and her bunny comforter on her bed. If she forgets I tell her to put it away and she does without a fuss.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you don't think she's ready I'd leave her a bit longer. My eldest son was my only dummy baby and he had his until he was 3.5. We left ours out for the Easter Bunny to take in exchange for chocolate. Cheeky monkey asked me on the first night if he gave all his chocolate back to the Easter Bunny could he get his dummy back

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    When she wakes up in the morning she leaves her dummy and her bunny comforter on her bed. If she forgets I tell her to put it away and she does without a fuss.
    Perhaps try hiding it and see how she reacts when it's nap time and there's no dummy and no mention of it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to HeavenBlue For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (24-10-2016)