ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Has anybody taken Ativan or another anxiety medication during pregnancy?

I used to take Ativan before I got pregnant for my anxiety and panic attacks and stopped taking it because my anxiety was getting a lot better and I didn't want to have to take it if I didn't need to for the baby's sake. However my anxiety has gotten A LOT worse lately, I'm 25 weeks + 5 days now. I've tried going to see someone and learning some new breathing techniques but it hasn't been working. Wondering if anyone has taken Ativan while pregnant? I read online that some people have taken it while pregnant because they absolutely needed to but obviously I won't start taking it again until discussing with my doctor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have anxiety but didn't take medication when I was pregnant. I believe quite a few of the anxiety drugs are unsuitable for pregnant women. I would talk to a GP or pharmacist. They will be able to look it up for you and see if there is a medication that is safe for you and bub. Good luck. xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    From what I can find from a quick google search, Ativan/Lorazepam is a category C in Australia and category D in the US. To me that's personally not worth the risk. Animal studies have shown malformations to the baby and there is also a high risk of withdrawal for the (human) baby from any drug in the benzodiazepine family. There are definitely other options for anxiety medication in pregnancy, you will just need to talk to your GP/psych (if you have one) about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There are safer meds to take during pregnancy. I took anxiety meds all through pregnancy. It was more risk IMO (and the doctors opinion) to leave me med-less than putting me on meds (mine were Cat B ).

Do not begin them yourself but see a dr to discuss the options.