+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    It does kind of make it more fair. For those women whom are employed without a maternity leave entitlement, or are self employed - they are only able to claim the maximum of 18 weeks from DHS. I actually had no idea families could claim both. I don't really think that can be classed as a necessity, having an additional 4 months after your workplace has provided same, or more. It would be best to implement required maternity leave at every workplace and hopefully that is where we are heading. Though I can see real discrimination against child bearing women in the workforce as a result.

I do agree these changes should never affect women whom are already pregnant, that could be a real disaster when you've budgeted ahead.
    Making a situation worse for one group of people doesn't make it better for another group though. I do get what you're saying though. I think the government should provide 26 weeks. I'm indifferent about allowing people to claim both. If they take that away the money should be used to extended government PPL to 26 weeks. Small businesses would really struggle to provide PPL and I don't think they should have to.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (25-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    But then on the flip side, you go back to work and you're asked why have kids if you can't afford them.

As parents we really are damned if we do, damned if we don't!
    Absolutely! Or why have kids if you have strangers raising them.

And of course part time working mums do neither job well supposedly. Not earning enough or paying enough tax to cover the FTB they are still entitled to or the CCR they get 2 days a week. Not really a 'proper' SAHM bc they still have strangers raising their kids 2 days a week.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (25-10-2016),AdornedWithCats  (25-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does anyone know when they are taking this to senate?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsh1984 View Post
    No idea but I'd like to know

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Yes! Whose brave enough to now admit they voted for the libs ???.....
    No way. I knew they'd try this eventually. I voted Nick Xenophon and he won in my electorate. I'll make contact with him to support you ladies! It's utter ludicrous c**p to treat expecting women and families this way.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WinterJade For This Useful Post:

Lil Smurfy  (25-10-2016),Lilac07  (25-10-2016),nicole83  (25-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Absolutely! Or why have kids if you have strangers raising them.
    This makes no sense. Because kids go to school for strangers to teach them. So school is bad too? We can never win.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Smurfy View Post
    No idea but I'd like to know
    It still has to be brought up in the lower house so not any time soon. Unless they specifically push for all this to be done before the end of sitting for the year then I would say there may be some more time.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

mrsh1984  (25-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I voted Libs I always have but it was close this time... I wasn't that impressed with either party. My only deciding factor is my husband is employed in an industry that thrives on a good economy and Liberals are historically better at managing the economy.

In regards to the PPL I agree with the changes but I don't agree with changing it before current expectant mothers have their baby (I'm not saying this just cause I am expecting as it makes no difference to me)

I don't like the terms double dipping but I believe the government should pick a length of time either etc 19 weeks, 26 weeks and if your company pays it for you at your current rate that's great, if not then the government will pay it for you at minimum wage (which for most is still a loss) or if your employer only pays say 12 weeks, then the remaining weeks are topped up by the government.

The way I see it, everyone is entitled to unemployment but you actually have to not be earning money from your employer. Everyone is entitled to maternity leave... But if your employer is paying it the government shouldn't be a perk. I just believe the funds could go into better sectors like education or day care.

Sorry if I'm repeating anyone - I'm rushing around and didn't get a chance to read all pp's

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Meld85 For This Useful Post:

babybeeno1  (29-10-2016),babyno1onboard  (25-10-2016),bwrlab  (25-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Senate next sits on the week commencing 7 November then the last sitting for the year is two weeks later.

I think (not 100%) that it's been through 2 readings in house of reps so needs 1 more, then goes to Senate.

I'm just keeping everything crossed it won't get through in time. I feel sorry for every pregnant woman out there who's maternity leave has been thrown into utter turmoil over this, myself included.
    Last edited by Lilac07; 25-10-2016 at 18:13.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lilac07 For This Useful Post:

mrsh1984  (25-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilac07 View Post
    Senate next sits on the week commencing 7 November then the last sitting for the year is two weeks later.

I think (not 100%) that it's been through 2 readings in house of reps so needs 1 more, then goes to Senate.

I'm just keeping everything crossed it won't get through in time. I feel sorry for every pregnant woman out there who's maternity leave has been thrown into utter turmoil over this, myself included.
    I thought it had only had first reading

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Smurfy View Post
    I thought it had only had first reading
    Quite possible. I just thought I read somewhere it had done 2 but I can't remember where so highly likely I'm wrong lol