+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fauvette View Post
    Yes, they are trying to stop anyone who has employer provided leave from getting the government ppl as well. Even though, this is exactly what it was introduced to do! If you read the initial supporting material and the definition of ppl it was designed to top up the employer provided leave to see mum's get the World Health Organisation minimum recommendation of 26 weeks.
    Are they completely taking it? Or only allowing 18 weeks pay (so if you get 12 weeks employer the PPL tops you up to 18 weeks). I thought it was the latter.

Also, that would mean thise that take half pay etc will not get any PPL either....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This makes me really angry. Could they not have waited until at least the women who are already pregnant have access to PPL? Grrr!!! In the long term I'm happy for them to scrap access to both so long as the government PPL is increased to 26 weeks. But here has to be a long notice period so people can plan their budgets accordingly.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Fauvette  (24-10-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (24-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Possible end to paid parental leave on January 1st

Quote Originally Posted by faithandhopellove View Post
    It sounds like this applies only to those who already receive work maternity pay. Is this the case? I don't get any paid leave from work so am fully reliant on ppl. If I don't get that it would make having another bub pretty difficult financially.
    I'm agreeing with you that is how I read it. Those that get ppl from their employer will be topped up and not be entitled to the 18wks ppl from the government. Where I work no one gets ppl from work not even the big wig etc. I took 3 wks AL, 6 wks LS at half pay and I'm on ppl til the end of Jan, then nothing til June when I go back full time

I also think that those of us that get this are lucky. In the states you see the mums going back to work when their babies are 6 wks old
    Last edited by babybeeno1; 24-10-2016 at 07:52.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

faithandhopellove  (24-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I'm angry too and it no longer affects me!

I think it'll mean a lot of organisations/employers will choose not to offer any paid paternity leave if that's the case if there is going to be no benefit/minimal benefit to their employees.

I know in my case (part time, low wage, like many other women with kids) the ppl from the government is actually MORE than what my employer offers as it's based on a full time wage, so if I had to pick, I'd rather the govt ppl so would be asking my union to get rid of the paid scheme all together from my work.

I think it'll mean a lot if women needing to return to work very early, breastfeeding rates will plummet and there isn't even enough childcare spots as it is- it's incredibly short sighted of the government.

And I also strongly agree implementing it so soon it affects those already pregnant who were going to rely on this dreadfully unfair and outrageous.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (24-10-2016),AdornedWithCats  (24-10-2016),babyno1onboard  (24-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

I just read an article stating it's the same idea as what was proposed last year, getting rid of what they're terming "double dipping".

It won't affect me but sucks for those companies who have this extra benefit to attract staff that turns out not to be of any benefit. Maybe they'll call it a "bonus" and will pay it in a lump sum in the last pay before the person commences parental leave; that way they're not receiving PPL from their employer and can still access the govt scheme.
    Last edited by JR03; 24-10-2016 at 11:14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    So is this an end to PPL or being able to get two lots of it - one from the govt, one from the workplace?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think I prefer equity over equality if that makes sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    So is this an end to PPL or being able to get two lots of it - one from the govt, one from the workplace?
    Yes, they are saying they won't pay the full 18 weeks to those who have workplace entitlements.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's incredibly unfair as many women (including me) have chosen to work at particular organisations that offer better leave entitlements and as such have sacrificed higher salaries elsewhere because the leave is what puts the family in the best position when having children.

I honestly wouldn't have decided to have another child if the ppl was not available as I did not want to be in the position of having children only to pay someone else to raise them.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fauvette For This Useful Post:

ShannyAnny  (24-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    I just read an article stating it's the same idea as what was proposed last year, getting rid of what they're terming "double dipping".

It won't effect me but sucks for those companies who have this extra benefit to attract staff that turns out not to be of any benefit. Maybe they'll call it a "bonus" and will pay it in a lump sum in the last pay before the person commences parental leave; that way they're not receiving PPL from their employer and can still access the govt scheme.
    I highly doubt it lol. Though that's a clever idea!

All it will mean is that a majority of workplaces will scrap their schemes, and the government won't be saving as much money as they anticipate.

The end result is hurting women and families- either they will have to return to work much earlier than they want/anticipate and will no doubt have knock on effects with breastfeeding rates and increase pressure for childcare spots- which ironically the government will be subsidising so no real savings for them at all

OR they survive for longer with little money which also impacts on the economy.

And means many women will continue to delay or not have as many children.

So what is the point of cutting it at all?!? I only see negatives.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 24-10-2016 at 08:47.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (24-10-2016)