+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Possible end to paid parental leave on January 1st

Pregnant mum's, this change could significantly impact us financially and the time we will be able to be home with our newborn babies.

Read the Mamamia article below for more information.

http://www.mamamia.com.au/turnbull-g...arental-leave/

We need to urge our politicians (cross benchers in particular) not to support the change or at least not support the change coming into effect for another 10 months so already pregnant women are not disadvantaged.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I believe Labour/Greens oppose this. I would assume it would pass the lower house but may get stuck in the Senate. Hopefully.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In the Senate, it apparently comes down to the rabble that is the cross bench, so who knows how it will go. A good public campaign and lobbying senators will be important, i think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    I believe Labour/Greens oppose this. I would assume it would pass the lower house but may get stuck in the Senate. Hopefully.
    The media is suggesting that the Nick Xenophon Team is the decision maker here as yes, Labor and the Greens won't support it but neither will Pauline Hanson's crew or the other guys.
    I've read that the NXT is currently undecided...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    In the Senate, it apparently comes down to the rabble that is the cross bench, so who knows how it will go. A good public campaign and lobbying senators will be important, i think.
    Agree! If you feel passionate about this one (which I absolutely am as my decision to have a 2nd child was based wholly and solely on this scheme still being accessible) we have to contact our local members and urge for their support.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fauvette View Post
    Agree! If you feel passionate about this one (which I absolutely am as my decision to have a 2nd child was based wholly and solely on this scheme still being accessible) we have to contact our local members and urge for their support.
    My local (federal) lower house member is Peter Dutton. The douchebaggeryness that is Peter Dutton could never be changed.

In QLD we have 4 LNP Senators, 2 Pauline Hanson One Nation, 1 Green (I think). So the QLD people that need to support this being blocked are basically PHON.

Does PHON support this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It sounds like this applies only to those who already receive work maternity pay. Is this the case? I don't get any paid leave from work so am fully reliant on ppl. If I don't get that it would make having another bub pretty difficult financially.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    My local (federal) lower house member is Peter Dutton. The douchebaggeryness that is Peter Dutton could never be changed.

In QLD we have 4 LNP Senators, 2 Pauline Hanson One Nation, 1 Green (I think). So the QLD people that need to support this being blocked are basically PHON.

Does PHON support this?
    What I've read said they are currently undecided...

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Possible end to paid parental leave on January 1st

Subbing - I've based my parental leave budget on this; if it ends i'll only be able to take probably 3 months off!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by faithandhopellove View Post
    It sounds like this applies only to those who already receive work maternity pay. Is this the case? I don't get any paid leave from work so am fully reliant on ppl. If I don't get that it would make having another bub pretty difficult financially.
    Yes, they are trying to stop anyone who has employer provided leave from getting the government ppl as well. Even though, this is exactly what it was introduced to do! If you read the initial supporting material and the definition of ppl it was designed to top up the employer provided leave to see mum's get the World Health Organisation minimum recommendation of 26 weeks.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fauvette For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (24-10-2016),faithandhopellove  (24-10-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (24-10-2016)