+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Carrots, lettuce, onions, capsicum and zucchini have just started popping up. Its been a bit touch and go with heavy rain then frosts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We've just expanded our veggie garden but having some pest problems with seeds. The seedlings we put in are doing OK though so I'll need to raise the seeds indoors for carrots, cucumber, beetroot and pak choy as they all got razed to stalks. Growing I have potatoes, cherry tomatoes, butter lettuce (in our vegepod), strawberries, cauliflower, capsicum, sugar snap peas and silver beet for the chickens (I hate it). I'll put some more spinach in the vegepod once we start to eat through the lettuces.

I've got 2 watermelon seedlings growing in the window will almost ready to go in. They were from a school fundraiser (seed kits).

I'm trying the potatoes in garden bags (got those from aldi) and layering straw over. I'm hoping it works! Just figure it will be easier than trying to find all the spuds.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We rent, so most is in pots, though we are lucky that there's a couple of vegie beds here too. As well as a rambling raspberry bed and a huge potato bed! Though we grow those in containers too.

Chives, garlic chives, spring onion, onion, garlic, sunchokes, zucchini, squash, various pumpkin, artichoke, asparagus, fennel, red cabbage, various beans, corn, kale, kohlrabi, pak choy, dill, lemon balm, mint, Vietnamese mint, basil, Thai basil, sage, parsley, sorrell, coriander, chillies galore, purple sage, various lettuces, rainbow chard, loads of other herbs, purple broccoli, rhubarb, chick pea, pigeon pea, green peas, cucumber, a few different strawberries, raspberries, boysenberries, mulberry, cape gooseberry, kiwi fruit, passionfruit, 6 blueberries, orange, mandarin, lemon, lime, makrut lime, two apples, fig, cumquat, peach, pear, jostaberry, lots of potatoes, ginger, tumeric, galangel, lemongrass, about ten different tomatoes, curry leaf, three avocados, 2 mangoes, various melons...there could be more!

Of course, these things are all at different growing stages, some established, some teeny seedlings. We've relocated to a much cooler climate this year so we have enlisted the help of a couple of greenhouses to see if some of our warmer climate trees will survive here. So we have started off most of our seeds in there this year too. I love it in there!

Also loads of green manures and flowers for bees and insects.

We will be buying land and building an eco house in a few years time, for now we are planning and being patient while we save. We can't wait to have chickens and aspire to a permaculture wonderland.
    Last edited by GreenMama; 23-10-2016 at 06:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I bought chives, Thai basil & strawberries at the farmers market today & planted them in the garden. And my snow peas are flowering and I saw a tiny pea on one of them yesterday, so exciting!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am looking at getting some vegepods next year. Since our backyard has some slope it might be easier to use them on the stands. And it keeps it away from turkeys.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    I am looking at getting some vegepods next year. Since our backyard has some slope it might be easier to use them on the stands. And it keeps it away from turkeys.
    Ours works great, especially to keep cabbage moths away. There just isn't enough height for tomatoes or peas etc.so you would need to do wire surrounds for those.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I got the large Vegepod for my birthday this year and I have Italian Parsley, Basil, coriander, chillis, radish, mustard leaf, tomatoes and lettuce.

I also had cucumbers but had to remove them as they overtook the whole pod! (I'm a vege garden novice ).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Celery is taking off that's about it. Heaps of zucchini flowered but no plants