+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What's growing in your veggie patch?

We currently dont have alot going on as we keep it simple heading into summer - too hot. Our Autumn/Winter garden is much more interesting. We tend to do square foot gardening then and fit in as many veggies as possible.

We have heirloom ice-box watermelons in at the moment - put in a few weeks ago. I need to get the potatoes in soon too. The strawberries are looking redder by the day.

Fruit tree wise - we have an dwarf apple that's a bit yawn at the moment and a dwarf apricot that is LOADED with growing fruit and a dwarf nectarine that is sprouting alot of fruit too - exciting.

What's growing at your place currently?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We've got strawberries and chard in hanging baskets, in the garden I've got snow peas, tomatoes, baby carrots, pumpkins, some sort of peas and beans (from seeds that my mum gave DD1), gooseberries, mint, basil, oregano, parsley & garlic.
    We have an orange tree and a lemon tree but they're both babies. We've got a big guava tree but DH pruned it back too much, too late so I don't think we'll get any fruit off it this year.

I've been getting into the gardening more this year than I have before, I'm really enjoying it!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TaylorMade For This Useful Post:

WarriorMama  (22-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have lettuce, tomatoes, chillies, eggplants, zucchini and cucumbers all in for summer. I'm also trying artichoke for the first time. The spinach and kale are just finishing up. I also have a lot of herbs- parsley is going crazy, oregano and thyme, fennel, basil, mint and we have a big lemongrass plant.
    The citrus fruit trees are a bit small, though we got some lemons this year. my pomegranate is flowering so I'm hoping we might get some. The white mulberry is just getting leaves on and it was great last year. I love spring in the garden it's so exciting!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Flower78 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have oranges, lemons, figs, plums, feijoas, crab apples, bananas, kiwiberries, elderberries and strawberries for fruit.
    Cucumbers, sweet peppers, capsicums, chillis, tomatoes and random extras like broccoli for vegetables.
    Allll the herbs
    (To be fair most of the fruit was already established when we bought a few years ago)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mmaf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    These all sound SO exciting!! We love being able to grow our own food here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    At the moment we just have two long planter boxes with strawberry plants. They go out on the deck during the day and come in each night. We have a serious native animal population here so hubby has to build us a cage to garden in before we can get serious. Otherwise it's all just wallaby, possum and native mouse food!
    Your gardens sound wonderful Growing watermelons at home would be my five year old's dream come true!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did throw some watermelon seeds in my garden to see if they would take but there's no sign of them so I don't think they did. I tried cucumbers as well and that didn't work either.. I'm not that bothered though, my mum gave us a heap of random seeds so I was just burying them and seeing what happened

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TaylorMade For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a couple of planter boxes with herbs, cucumber and green beans. Oh and a lemon tree that doesn't surprisingly well in a big pot.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CookingMonster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    TaylorMade - some watermelons can be a bit fickle. That's why I opted to buy seeds from the Botanic Garden (Heirloom ones) this time. they'll work!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to WarriorMama For This Useful Post:

TaylorMade  (22-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's crazy Borntobe!! I would love to see said cage when it's built, lol!