Closed Thread
Page 93 of 108 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I read something that said his business will need to be managed by trustees. And I think it said immediate family members can't run it?? I can't see him liking that. He won't be able to do shonky deals.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    I read something that said his business will need to be managed by trustees. And I think it said immediate family members can't run it?? I can't see him liking that. He won't be able to do shonky deals.
    Apparently not from what I read. It does not apply to the president as it is assumed they will know better.

His choices are to continue as is (dodgy), give it all to his kids to run (seen as dodgy) or give it to a blond trustee.

Everyone has done so for the last 40 years. But who knows with Trump.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    There are laws in place to prevent conflict of interest and protect national security. So far he's ignoring them. He's meant to have blind trustees run his business but he appointed his children which are not blind trustees, especially when he has them sit in on meetings with foreign leaders and seeks security clearances for them.

Then there's the issue that diplomats are already booking rooms at his hotel in DC, obviously hoping that putting money directly in his pocket curries favor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Still think Clinton and Trump are as bad as each other?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...le-1.2880991?e

And this criticising legitimate protests and expressions of opinion is a real worry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kinda on the topic but finding HONY interesting as there are posts both pro and anti Trump government.

I like this person's perspective.

“I feel homeless. Like this isn’t the place that I thought it was. I feel like I don’t understand where I am. Where we all are. Last week students started chanting ‘build the wall’ in the lunchroom of a local middle school. Some of the Hispanic children started crying. If you’re the principal-- how are you supposed to stop that behavior? If the president can behave in a certain way, how are you supposed to tell a child that it’s unacceptable? How does that hold up? It breaks my heart. I’ve had friends reach out to me. They’ve told me: ‘I understand the reasons that you’re upset. But those aren’t the reasons I voted for him.’ And I’m just starting to understand that. I’m realizing that a lot of people wanted change more than they wanted kids not to cry. We all have our own code of ethics. My bottom line happened to be tolerance. Their bottom line was abortion. Or the Supreme Court. I guess we all have the right to choose our own bottom line."

I think the 'bottom line' that won is wrong. But that is democracy - and this is the 'bottom line' that won.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (21-11-2016),Green Cheese  (21-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I saw a tweet or a meme or something that rang true. It said something like "Not all Trump supporters are racist. But Trump's racism wasnt a deal breaker for them".

Whatever Hillary had done, Trump's racism would have always been a deal breaker for me. Different people have different deal breakers, i guess.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (21-11-2016),Californication  (23-11-2016),Gentoo  (21-11-2016),HollyGolightly81  (21-11-2016),LaDiDah  (21-11-2016),smallpotatoes  (21-11-2016),twinklify  (21-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Trump’s presidency: abortion battle poised to reignite
    * BETH REINHARD
    * The Wall Street Journal
    * 12:00AM November 23, 2016
    Progressive and conservative groups are girding for battle over abortion rights under president-elect Donald Trump, after nearly a decade in which the Obama administration backstopped the rollback of those rights on the federal level.
    Mr Trump has adopted the anti-abortion movement’s top ­priorities, vowing to nominate ­socially conservative Supreme Court judges, withhold federal funding from Planned Parenthood and sign legislation banning abortion after 20 weeks.
    “Expectations are very high for this pro-life White House and pro-life congress,” said Mallory Quigley, a spokeswoman for the Susan B. Anthony List, a non-profit organisation that opposes abortion.
    Key appointments to Mr Trump’s cabinet also appear to be lining up with anti-abortion rights groups. Senator Jeff Sessions, picked to serve as US attorney-general, and congressman Tom Price, one of the finalists for health and human services secretary, are both staunch abortion opponents.
    With Republicans holding a majority in both chambers, the election of Mr Trump is expected to reopen emotional debates in congress over when life begins, a woman’s ability to make her own choices and the appropriate role of government in family matters.
    The mood in the pro-abortion rights community is grim.
    “This is a dark time for women and families,” said Kaylie Hanson Long, spokeswoman for NARAL Pro-Choice America. “The vision and policies Donald Trump has proposed for America are a clear and present danger to women.”
    But activists across the spectrum say sweeping, nationwide change is unlikely to happen overnight, while skirmishes over abortion policy outside Washington are expected to continue. This month’s election left Republicans in control of both legislative chambers in 32 states, an all-time high for the party.
    In his first remarks about abortion since the election, Mr Trump was asked on 60 Minutes how women could get abortions if Roe v Wade, the Supreme Court decision legalising most abortions, were overturned. “Yeah, well, they’ll perhaps have to go, they’ll have to go to another state,” he said.
    Yet travel is already a requirement for many women seeking to terminate their pregnancies in conservative, rural parts of the country, where access to the procedure is limited by waiting periods and increased clinic regulations. The latest study by the Guttmacher Institute in 2011 found 38 per cent of women lived in counties with no abortion clinics. In the midwest and the south — where Mr Trump was the most popular — the rates were 53 per cent and 49 per cent, respectively.
    The road to overturning Roe v Wade begins but does not end with Mr Trump’s nomination of a socially conservative judge to succeed Antonin Scalia. Five ­current judges sided with abortion advocates in June and struck down new regulations on Texas clinics. It is also unclear as to what court case could present the next ­challenge to Roe v Wade.
    The Wall Street Journal

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    @gingermillie, where's the 'unlike' button??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    But are there not laws in place to prevent this? I thought there was?
    As to this - check this out -

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/ent...b09b6055ff367d