Closed Thread
Page 74 of 108 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    Personally I would be more frightened of 50 million disgruntled republican voters than the other way around...
    Probably, but now we will never know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I don't support anything beyond peaceful protests. But it's a mixed up world where a person who continually verbalises anti minority, homophobia, hatred of and lack of respect for women, is not only considered 'free speech' but elected President.

But a child who possibly doesn't have the vocab to properly express their confusion and anger is hate speech?

Look, I don't support feeding kids horrible messages. But Phoney, do you really believe that the children of the bigots that voted for Trump haven't been exposed to much worse? I mean the KKK are one of his biggest supporters. The kids of republicans listening to Trump's speeches would have been exposed to way more hate speech that this child listening to her mother call trump an idiot.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Mama Mirabelle  (10-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    But a child who possibly doesn't have the vocab to properly express their confusion and anger is hate speech?

Look, I don't support feeding kids horrible messages. But Phoney, do you really believe that the children of the bigots that voted for Trump haven't been exposed to much worse? I mean the KKK are one of his biggest supporters. The kids of republicans listening to Trump's speeches would have been exposed to way more hate speech that this child listening to her mother call trump an idiot.
    Donald aside, because he's on another level and I am in no way making ANY excuses for him.

Doesn't hate speech begin in the home?
    Don't kids pick this up from what they're expsoed to?
    What are the children listening to that has them reacting that way and yes I know there's worse but this is also in the homes of people who consider themselves better than that.
    It's just not suitable for a child to hear in any form.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    My eldest is 11 and knew a lot about this election. Dh and I are very open about politics and talk about it often. We both love political debates so our kids do hear a lot of that at home. I would never encourage fear or hate. When my 11 year old daughter asks how a man who is a bully and hates women becomes president I worry. She didn't have a tantrum or threaten to kill him. She said it made her feel sad.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Mama Mirabelle  (10-11-2016),Phony  (10-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    My eldest is 11 and knew a lot about this election. Dh and I are very open about politics and talk about it often. We both love political debates so our kids do hear a lot of that at home. I would never encourage fear or hate. When my 11 year old daughter asks how a man who is a bully and hates women becomes president I worry. She didn't have a tantrum or threaten to kill him. She said it made her feel sad.

11 is a good age I think. They're more equipped to process the information.
    I have an 8 yr old and the only thing he'd take away from a conversation like that is fear. Too much to grasp without categorising into goodies and baddies and worrying then when the baddie won.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Phony View Post
    Doesn't hate speech begin in the home?
    Don't kids pick this up from what they're expsoed to?
    What are the children listening to that has them reacting that way and yes I know there's worse but this is also in the homes of people who consider themselves better than that.
    It's just not suitable for a child to hear in any form.
    I wouldn't say calling someone an idiot is hate speech? The anti Mexican/women/pro life stuff his supporters go on with, no doubt around their kids? That's hate speech.

I find it bizarre you are going on about a child calling Trump an idiot while Trump ideology which obviously filters down to kids in a much more serious toxic level doesn't rate a mention? Bc we shouldn't compare them? I'm thinking the kids listening to Republican mantra this election have heard much more unsuitable things.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

rusty22  (10-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    11 is a good age I think. They're more equipped to process the information.
    I have an 8 yr old and the only thing he'd take away from a conversation like that is fear. Too much to grasp without categorising into goodies and baddies and worrying then when the baddie won.
    My 7 year old understands. My 5 year old wouldn't. But he wouldn't be interested. My 7 year old has anxiety though so we are careful about what she knows. I'm anxious about it and I'm 45. I'm old enough to understand the immense damage this can do to us economically, environmentally and also from a defence point of view.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (10-11-2016),Phony  (10-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I find it bizarre you are going on about a child calling Trump an idiot while Trump ideology which obviously filters down to kids in a much more serious toxic level doesn't rate a mention? Bc we shouldn't compare them? I'm thinking the kids listening to Republican mantra this election have heard much more unsuitable things.

It's not bizarre, I haven't got all day to talk about the long list of wrongs about Trump.

My point was about exposing kids to things they can't understand yet, things that would cause them unnecessary stress or anxiety.

In regards to hate speech, for want of a better term, in my mind I imagined a parent or two getting aggressive towards Trump on TV or something, the kid picking it up, some sort of explanation made as to why those feelings were valid and then the kid, not really understanding any of it, just mirroring what they see in their parents as they think it's the right thing to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by besha View Post
    I'm heartbroken by the election result. I just can't believe it actually happened....well actually given the way Brexit went I can, but I'm just shocked the chips fell this way I'm heartened by the fact that Hillary won the popular vote. Americans aren't as dumb as the electoral college system might otherwise indicate.

This article is really interesting, and speaks to the point that @jude15 made above.
    http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reason...e-talks-about/
    @besha Great article

I find it bemusing that the politicians are saying 'now we have to get behind Trump' or 'give him a chance' Really?? After all the mudslinging and racist and sexist rhetoric we just pretend it didn't happen? FFS.

Also 'Trump picks top climate denier to reshape climate policies' yay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Broken windows, damaged property, burning flags and violence does not equal a protest.

http://www.news.com.au/world/north-a...aa256a89d2cb74
    I have actually been watching footage of one of the protests. It is pretty peaceful. They have taken over a freeway though as they are walking to various places - one of which was a detention centre where the chant was 'we see you'.

So it is not all agro/violence.

There is a police presence but everyone seems fairly chilled. For a protest.