Closed Thread
Page 72 of 108 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I don't disagree with Pilger. He's not saying anything different to what most other commentators are saying today. He also said it before the election so I think sadly he's correct.

Pilger is critical of almost every politician as he can be. He isn't a politician himself and that's the job of a commentator.

I said a few days ago that I was angry that Clinton was the person running against Trump and I'm still angry about that. We now find ourselves in this crazy world because this was considered a better alternative.
    I think it's important because all the comments I'm seeing around are racist, sexist, homophobic, etc etc, when the issues went much deeper than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla View Post
    More people allegedly shot.
    My heart hurts. This is utter madness. The result is what it is, so those who disagree with him just need to start working on a way they can defeat him in 4 years time (if the country's still standing).
    It's just nuts!
    People shouldn't be allowed to protest when tensions are this high.
    I know it says they don't think the shooting is related but there it's only a matter of time.

My first thoughts when Hillary decided not to face the crowd was that this would be taken as a sign of reluctance and might even plant a seed in some voters to fight back.
    I hope to god they can calm down before it gets out of control.

White Mage is online now Today has been cancelled, go back to bed.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    Are you referring to trumpland? It's not really a trump movie. It's a pro-Hillary stand up act he filmed.

I would love a trump movie to come out from MM though!
    I am a little disappointed that it's not a full movie, i'd love one too. But he did write a very long 'Day after To-do-list" which is pretty amazing.

https://www.facebook.com/mmflint/pos...53913074756857

Morning After To-Do List:
    1. Take over the Democratic Party and return it to the people. They have failed us miserably.
    2. Fire all pundits, predictors, pollsters and anyone else in the media who had a narrative they wouldn't let go of and refused to listen to or acknowledge what was really going on. Those same bloviators will now tell us we must "heal the divide" and "come together." They will pull more hooey like that out of their *** in the days to come. Turn them off.
    3. Any Democratic member of Congress who didn't wake up this morning ready to fight, resist and obstruct in the way Republicans did against President Obama every day for eight full years must step out of the way and let those of us who know the score lead the way in stopping the meanness and the madness that's about to begin.
    4. Everyone must stop saying they are "stunned" and "shocked". What you mean to say is that you were in a bubble and weren't paying attention to your fellow Americans and their despair. YEARS of being neglected by both parties, the anger and the need for revenge against the system only grew. Along came a TV star they liked whose plan was to destroy both parties and tell them all "You're fired!" Trump's victory is no surprise. He was never a joke. Treating him as one only strengthened him. He is both a creature and a creation of the media and the media will never own that.
    5. You must say this sentence to everyone you meet today: "HILLARY CLINTON WON THE POPULAR VOTE!" The MAJORITY of our fellow Americans preferred Hillary Clinton over Donald Trump. Period. Fact. If you woke up this morning thinking you live in an effed-up country, you don't. The majority of your fellow Americans wanted Hillary, not Trump. The only reason he's president is because of an arcane, insane 18th-century idea called the Electoral College. Until we change that, we'll continue to have presidents we didn't elect and didn't want. You live in a country where a majority of its citizens have said they believe there's climate change, they believe women should be paid the same as men, they want a debt-free college education, they don't want us invading countries, they want a raise in the minimum wage and they want a single-payer true universal health care system. None of that has changed. We live in a country where the majority agree with the "liberal" position. We just lack the liberal leadership to make that happen (see: #1 above).
    Let's try to get this all done by noon today.
    -- Michael Moore

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to White Mage For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (10-11-2016),witherwings  (10-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Michael Moore should run for president!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Phony View Post
    I think it's important because all the comments I'm seeing around are racist, sexist, homophobic, etc etc, when the issues went much deeper than .
    No for many it didn't.

I still maintain a vote for him was a vote for racism and misogyny. Her running just made it easier for them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've stayed out of this thread thus far as I really don't know enough about the intracacies of American politics to weigh in on any political debate. I did, however, wake in the middle of the night and wonder if the election result had just been an awful nightmare!

The thing is, I don't necessarily think that Hillary Clinton would be a better president than Donald Trump - I just don't know enough about the policital acumen of either candidate to make that call. But I do know that Donald Trump is an absolutely deplorable human being. Hillary is no saint I'm sure, but Trump is unequivocally and undeniably a piece of human garbage. So that's what has really upset me about the election result. That someone who based their campaign on fanning the flames of hatred, inequality, isolationism and bigotry had almost 60 million people who agreed with him. 60 MILLION!!! My mind just can't grasp that there are 60 million people in a supposedly civilised, advanced nation, who carry so much hatred in their hearts for the 'other' that they would elect this man.

I guess I can take heart in the fact that half of America, and most other civilised nations around the world, are recoiling in horror and disbelief at what has transpired in America. I do fear for what this will mean for the rest of the world with regards to climate change, the economy and peace. But I have hope that there are enough sane, tolerant, peaceful people out there to mitigate any mass damage that Trump could cause over the next 4 years. Here's hoping a better candidate appears for the next term!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (10-11-2016),JustJaq  (10-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Frankenmum, I think they voted for him hoping he wouldn't follow through on his promises like every other president doesn't follow through.
    That's the jist of things I'm picking up today.
    People saying they know family and friends who voted for him with this sentiment because they couldn't make peace with voting for Hillary.

(Sorry for typos, computer on go-slow since yesterday?)
    Last edited by Phony; 10-11-2016 at 15:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    All of my students are upset and terrified. They think it's the literal end of the world. I think it's a good reminder to me to be careful what I say around young ears. A 7 year old said to me that Trump is a bully and it makes him feel scared inside. Yep. A child gets it.

I told my students that often when something scary like this happens, good things come out of it. People will come together and stand up for what they believe in and what is good when maybe they wouldn't have before. We will see some beautiful things as well as scary things and we need to make sure we pay attention to the good parts.

I just hope that it's true.
    My sister lives in ny and she filmed her 7yr olds response to trump getting in. Tantrum with a T, he's mean he's nasty and doesn't deserve to be president of the United States he just a stupid horrible person.

Those where her worlds

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babybeeno1 View Post
    My sister lives in ny and she filmed her 7yr olds response to trump getting in. Tantrum with a T, he's mean he's nasty and doesn't deserve to be president of the United States he just a stupid horrible person.

Those where her worlds
    I'm seeing a lot of comments like this.
    I dunno.
    I'm disgusted that people expose their kids to this nonsense tbh.
    Isn't that teaching them hate?
    Doesn't matter that it's against Trump, it's still hate speech against another human.
    A 7 yr old shouldn't have to worry about these things, never mind have a tanty about it. I've been looking at grown adults having near breakdowns, why do that to a kid?

I'm probably alone on that one too, though.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post:

Alicia111  (10-11-2016),bluehawaii  (10-11-2016),Radio  (10-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Protests. Not riots.

Quote Originally Posted by Phony View Post
    I'm seeing a lot of comments like this.
    I dunno.
    I'm disgusted that people expose their kids to this nonsense tbh.
    Isn't that teaching them hate?
    Doesn't matter that it's against Trump, it's still hate speech against another human.
    A 7 yr old shouldn't have to worry about these things, never mind have a tanty about it. I've been looking at grown adults having near breakdowns, why do that to a kid?

I'm probably alone on that one too, though.
    That is not hate speech. That is standing against hate.

And you know what? Kids need to know that hateful comments are not ok.