+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 96 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 955
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,486
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,006
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Phony View Post
    Yes, I agree, smart women.
    But not everybody out there with a vote will look far beyond that fact though.
    Just like a lot of men will vote for Trump because it's 'anybody but Hillary'.
    Some people are just not as invested or interested much further than voting the opposite of what they don't want.
    Trump is relying on this as much as she is.
    But there will always be biases against and in favour of candidates.

    The frightening statistic was the poll from the US recently that showed if women weren't allowed to vote Trump would win by an alarming majority.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

    Phony  (21-10-2016)

  3. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    5,339
    Thanks
    5,293
    Thanked
    5,091
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

    Default U.S. Election

    Quote Originally Posted by Phony View Post
    Yes, I agree, smart women.
    But not everybody out there with a vote will look far beyond that fact though.
    Just like a lot of men will vote for Trump because it's 'anybody but Hillary'.
    Some people are just not as invested or interested much further than voting the opposite of what they don't want.
    Trump is relying on this as much as she is.
    Of course there are people (in every country) that have ridiculous reasons for voting for somebody. But saying she will only win because she is a woman ignores the fact that she has a law degree, experience fighting for civil rights, was a First Lady, was a US Senator AND was a Secretary of State. That argument does nothing for women and is false because you are then claiming that a man with her same qualifications wouldn't be able to beat Trump, which I highly doubt.

    And Sonja is spot on about Bernie, he should have run as an Independent rather than changing to a democrat but he thought switching parties would better his chances of winning. He's a politician just like the others.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 21-10-2016 at 18:08.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

    Mokeybear  (21-10-2016)

  5. #43
    Busy-Bee's Avatar
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    11,208
    Thanks
    3,690
    Thanked
    4,765
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Phony View Post
    Is that supposed to be a bad thing?
    My mam had 5 children to two different husbands, what's the limit before it gets classed as a fault and used against you?
    Absolutely not a bad thing, no judgement. The point is that if Hilary had 5 children to 3 husbands she would be painted as some sort of scarlet woman whilst it doesn't rate as an issue that Trump has 5 children to 3 wives.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phony View Post
    Right, OK I get that.
    But I don't think an argument that starts with 'if Hillary was a man' actually goes anywhere.
    The issue is that the standards she is being judged by are completely different to the standards Trump is being judged by. Clinton can string a coherent, meaningful sentence together regarding foreign policy, Trump cannot. Because Trump has this background as an alleged business entrepreneur and is marketed as an embodiment of the "work hard + be an entrepreneur = wealth & success" narrative the standards applied to judge him are considerably lower than of Clinton. Never mind if Clinton was a bloke, would Trump be nominated to stand election if he were a woman?

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

    delirium  (21-10-2016)

  7. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,112
    Thanks
    4,685
    Thanked
    2,000
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Of course there are people (in every country) that have ridiculous reasons for voting for somebody. But saying she will only win because she is a woman ignores the fact that she has a law degree, experience fighting for civil rights, was a First Lady, was a US Senator AND was a Secretary of State. That argument does nothing for women and is false because you are then claiming that a man with her same qualifications wouldn't be able to beat Trump, which I highly doubt.

    And Sonja is spot on about Bernie, he should have run as an Independent rather than changing to a democrat but he thought switching parties would better his chances of winning. He's a politician just like the others.
    Ah but I didn't say she will only win because she is a woman.
    I'm saying that for some, even if she wasn't running against Trump, the fact she's a woman would be enough. Especially with the older voters, they want to see a woman in the white house before they die.

  8. #45
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    5,339
    Thanks
    5,293
    Thanked
    5,091
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Phony View Post
    Ah but I didn't say she will only win because she is a woman.
    I'm saying that for some, even if she wasn't running against Trump, the fact she's a woman would be enough. Especially with the older voters, they want to see a woman in the white house before they die.
    Where have you gotten that idea? I would assume older women are more likely to vote republican and not just because somebody is a woman.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

    Sonja  (21-10-2016)

  10. #46
    harvs's Avatar
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2016 - Member you'd most like to meet
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    10,221
    Thanks
    6,504
    Thanked
    16,610
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Holly, what do you think voting numbers will be like this election?

  11. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,112
    Thanks
    4,685
    Thanked
    2,000
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    The issue is that the standards she is being judged by are completely different to the standards Trump is being judged by. Clinton can string a coherent, meaningful sentence together regarding foreign policy, Trump cannot. Because Trump has this background as an alleged business entrepreneur and is marketed as an embodiment of the "work hard + be an entrepreneur = wealth & success" narrative the standards applied to judge him are considerably lower than of Clinton. Never mind if Clinton was a bloke, would Trump be nominated to stand election if he were a woman?
    Probably not but calling it out every time he has a dig at her doesn't solve anything.
    Take yesterday's debate for instance, he called her a nasty woman but everyone is ignoring the dig she got in about him haveng to pay higher taxes if he can't figure out a way to avoid them.

    Sonja made a point about people crucifying one side while the other gets a free pass. This has been happening a lot with these two. Clinton baits and Trump bites.
    She' polished and rehearsed, he can't control his mouth.
    Its a tactic she's used and it's served her well, everyone sees the train wreck Trump is while she gets off scot free.


    Anyway, if anyone has time have a look at this.
    The ambassador he mentions at the end is Chris Stevens.

    Her behaviour in this is seriously worrying to me.

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=htdeei...qZ18eDGOlBLmlA

  12. #48
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    5,339
    Thanks
    5,293
    Thanked
    5,091
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Phony View Post
    Probably not but calling it out every time he has a dig at her doesn't solve anything.
    Take yesterday's debate for instance, he called her a nasty woman but everyone is ignoring the dig she got in about him haveng to pay higher taxes if he can't figure out a way to avoid them.

    Sonja made a point about people crucifying one side while the other gets a free pass. This has been happening a lot with these two. Clinton baits and Trump bites.
    She' polished and rehearsed, he can't control his mouth.
    Its a tactic she's used and it's served her well, everyone sees the train wreck Trump is while she gets off scot free.


    Anyway, if anyone has time have a look at this.
    The ambassador he mentions at the end is Chris Stevens.

    Her behaviour in this is seriously worrying to me.

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=htdeei...qZ18eDGOlBLmlA
    People jump on Trump calling her a nasty woman because it epitomizes his attitude towards women his whole life. That he can't take criticism, and definitely not from a woman and how dare any woman challenge him. You're holding it against her that she debates well and knows how to bait him in a debate to bring out the worst in him? That's the point! A president shouldn't bite.

  13. #49
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    5,339
    Thanks
    5,293
    Thanked
    5,091
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Phony View Post
    Probably not but calling it out every time he has a dig at her doesn't solve anything.
    Take yesterday's debate for instance, he called her a nasty woman but everyone is ignoring the dig she got in about him haveng to pay higher taxes if he can't figure out a way to avoid them.

    Sonja made a point about people crucifying one side while the other gets a free pass. This has been happening a lot with these two. Clinton baits and Trump bites.
    She' polished and rehearsed, he can't control his mouth.
    Its a tactic she's used and it's served her well, everyone sees the train wreck Trump is while she gets off scot free.


    Anyway, if anyone has time have a look at this.
    The ambassador he mentions at the end is Chris Stevens.

    Her behaviour in this is seriously worrying to me.

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=htdeei...qZ18eDGOlBLmlA
    You do realize that the Benghazi hearings were pretty much a Republican witch hunt (term used by prominent republicans)? So republicans using a tragedy as a political tool.

  14. #50
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,112
    Thanks
    4,685
    Thanked
    2,000
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm not holding it against her.
    I do think these little tit-for-tats are a huge distraction though.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Election 2016
    By VicPark in forum General Election Discussion
    Replies: 627
    Last Post: 17-07-2016, 09:40
  2. 2016 Election thread
    By atomicmama in forum General Election Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 17-05-2016, 09:44

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
SoftmatsSoftmats specialises in safe, non-toxic, and durable play mats. The international Premium Dwingulerâ„¢ Play Mats and ...
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›